
OLONGAPO CITY, Philippines—For the first time since his trial for the murder of transgender Jeffrey “Jennifer” Laude opened on March 23, US Marine Lance Cpl. Joseph Scott Pemberton was absent from court when proceedings resumed on Monday. “The defense did not [provide] a reason for Pemberton’s absence. His lawyers said they didn’t know if the witnesses would need to identify him,” according to Virgie Suarez, one of the Laude family’s lawyers. Suarez said Judge Roline Ginez-Jabalde of Regional Trial Court Branch 74 had ordered Pemberton to attend the trial on Tuesday. Pemberton’s lawyers refused to grant interviews. The court has barred the media from the trial. Reporters were able to talk to Suarez during breaks and after the hearing ended. The trial featured the testimony of motel security guard Jacinto Miraflor who told the court Pemberton was the Caucasian he saw with Laude. Last person Miraflor, a guard at Celzone Lodge where Laude was found dead on the night of Oct. 11 last year, testified that he saw Pemberton leave the motel. He corroborated the testimony on March 23 of Elias Gallamos, a Celzone bellboy, and Laude’s friend “Barbie” who testified on March 24. Gallamos and Barbie “earlier established that Pemberton was the last person with Laude on the night she was killed,” Suarez said. “Miraflor’s testimony was mainly about seeing Pemberton come out of Celzone Lodge. He said he saw the room that was left open by Pemberton and he saw Jennifer’s body being brought out by the Soco Read More …