Nov 302015

Last week, congressmen reportedly gave up on their bid for tax cuts after repeated indications of opposition from Malacañang. We can hardly accuse Congress of not trying, with not less than 10 bills filed proposing tax reform. Various versions of these bills have appeared and been discussed in due course. Not one of them has been approved by the President.

Nov 292015
Hollywood event pays tribute to slain journalists

By Nimfa U. Rueda The youth band Back2Jupiter dedicates their performance to the children of slain journalists. LOS ANGELES – Filipino-American media groups held a photo exhibit and a tribute concert Sunday night (Monday in Manila) in the Hollywood area of Los Angeles to honor the memory of the 32 journalists killed in the Ampatuan massacre. The show staged by the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP)-USA Chapter at the Celebrity Centre International marked the sixth year after the attack that claimed the lives of 58 people, 32 of them journalists, in Ampatuan town in Maguindanao province. “May we not forget the victims of the massacre and may justice prevail,” said Consul General Leo Herrera-Lim, in his remarks. Arnedo Valera, legal counsel for NUJP-USA, said the massacre could not have taken place without the “existing culture of impunity” in the Philippines. The Fil-Am Media Band: From left, Nukie Santiago, Roy Cuchado, Ana Mendoza, Abner Galino, Christy Rosacia, Joy Macainan, Nikki Arriola, Andy Tecson and Robert Gamo. To date, none of the suspects have been convicted of the crime. International media groups, including the New York-based watchdog Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) and the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ), have condemned the slow progress of the case and the continued killing of journalists in the Philippines. Earlier this month, radio broadcaster Jose Bernardo was shot dead by still unidentified assailants in Quezon City. He was the fifth journalist killed in 2015 and the 169th since 1986, according to NUJP. “Justice remains elusive,” Read More …

Nov 292015
GMA Network celebrates love in 2015 Christmas campaign

ALDub Maine Mendoza and Alden Richards (MNS photo) GMA Network welcomes the most-awaited season with the premiere of the “MaGMAhalan Tayo Ngayong Pasko” Christmas campaign on its primetime newscast 24 Oras last November 12. The message of love takes center stage in the Kapuso community as well-loved Kapuso artists and trusted News and Public Affairs personalities come together with viewers in a happy, heartfelt celebration of the season. Renowned director Cesar Cosme, who helmed the project, says that the message imparted by the video is about “genuine and pure love,” much like that of a child. Christmas is truly the season for loving one another and the Network’s message is to spread the love this Holiday Season. Kara David, Mel Tiangco, Arnold Clavio and Pia Arcangel (MNS photo) One with the Network’s message of love are GMA’s best and brightest stars including Dingdong Dantes, Marian Rivera, AiAi de las Alas, Lovi Poe, Heart Evangelista, Michael V, Willie Revillame, Dennis Trillo, Tom Rodriguez, Megan Young, Carla Abellana, Barbie Forteza, Bianca Umali, Miguel Tanfelix, Andre Paras, Ruru Madrid, Gabbi Garcia, and German Moreno. They are joined by Tito Sotto, Vic Sotto and Joey de Leon leading Dabarkads, with the phenomenal love team of Alden Richards and Maine Mendoza, together with Lola Nidora, Lola Tidora and Lola Tinidora. Also featured are GMA’s formidable News and Public Affairs team with news pillars Mel Tiangco, Mike Enriquez, Jessica Soho, Vicky Morales, Arnold Clavio and Howie Severino. Megan Young, Rafael Rosell, Carla Abellana and Tom Rodriguez (MNS Photo) With Read More …

Nov 292015
Regine Tolentino misses acting

Regine Tolentino (MNS Photo) Regine Tolentino used to be very visible on-screen, but she is now more often seen at sports complexes, gyms, corporate events and even barangays, where she holds Zumba workout sessions. Regine has always been into dancing and living a healthy lifestyle. She is now certified Zumba instructor. “Nauna ’yung hilig ko sa sayaw. Mahilig na ako magsayaw ever since noong bata pa ako. It’s just the benefit of dancing that you’re healthy and fit. So, I don’t really think about it too much. I used to be so self-conscious of my weight but now I just think about having fun and having a good workout and everything else follows,” she said. “It helps maintain my energy level throughout the day, even with back to back Zumba classes,” she said. Still, Regine admits she misses acting. “I hope I can get back into mainstream acting. However, I’m so blessed to have many Zumba and corporate events lately,” she said. Regine admitted she had turned down some acting offers because her schedule is already full. She also had to limit her hosting stint on “Unang Hirit” to two, three times a week. “My schedule right now is loaded with these wonderful Zumba events all over the country and even in Japan and Dubai. I’m just so happy with this advocacy of fitness. It’s great to reach out to the moms. So as of now, hindi pa ako nakakatanggap. I said no to the soaps but eventually I would Read More …

Nov 292015
SSS conducts outreach mission in Los Angeles

SSS Representative from San Francisco Marin and SSS Toronto Representative Roberto Roldan providing services. Los Angeles – The Social Security System (SSS) conducted at one (1) day outreach mission at the Philippine Consulate General in Los Angeles on 20 November 2015. President and CEO Emilio S. De Quiros, Jr., led the SSS delegation accompanied by Senior Vice President for International Operations Judy Frances A. See, Vice President Maria Lourdes N. Mendoza, Representative Marites Marin of SSS San Francisco and Representative Roberto Roldan of SSS Toronto. SSS Management President and CEO De Quiros presenting to the audience. SSS President De Quiros informed the audience on the newly established SSS Offices in Toronto, Canada and in San Francisco, California as part of effort to bring their services closer to overseas Filipinos in North America.  He briefed the audience on performance levels of the SSS and continuous improvement in its operations, services and related systems.  The SSS has migrated its service delivery platform from branch-based transactions to internet-based channels in order to give their clients the flexibility of transacting with the SSS within the comfort of their own homes. On-site services were also offered to SSS members and pensioners during the program. Foreign Representatives Marin and Roldan assisted and provided services. (L-R) Vice Consul Dyan Kristine Pastrana, Vice President Maria Lourdes Mendoza, SSS Management President and CEO Emilio S. De QUiros, Jr., Consul General Leo Herrera-Lim, SSS Account Management Group Senior Vice President Judy Frances See, SSS Representative to San Francisco Marites Marin.

Nov 292015
Hands-on mommy Amy

Amy Perez (MNS Photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) — TV host and radio commentator Amy Perez always makes time for her kids despite the demands of her career. A hands-on mother, she fetches her three boys Adi, Kyle and Seyah from school and bonds with them after work. To them, she’s simply mom though they are sometimes reminded that they have a celebrity in their midst. “Ang nakakatuwa sa mga boys, hindi namin napapag-usapan (’yung trabaho ko) pero even si Adi – who is now 18 years old – minsan ’pag nasa labas kami, may babati sa akin, ‘Hi, T’yang Amy.’ Sasabihin ni Adi, ‘Mom, you know her?’ Sabi ko, ‘No Adi, it’s part of mama’s job.’ Sabi niya, ‘Ay, oo nga pala, artista ka’,” Amy shared at a press conference. Both Amy and husband Carlo Castillo are TV personalities; the latter, a reporter on News5. “They keep forgetting that kasi ’pag nasa bahay ako talaga, ang alam lang nila nanay ako na nagtatrabaho, ganyan. So kapag nakikita nila ako at si Carlo sa TV… naaaliw sila,” she said. Amy and Carlo tied the knot last year after living together for a time. Despite sharing parenting duties, both make sure they have enough quality time to themselves. Amy shared, “(Meron kaming) very private moments na kaming dalawa lang, either manonood ng sine or mag-discover ng new restaurant. Importante ’yun para sa ’min.” In terms of finances, the 46-year-old said they don’t have a problem that she earns more than him. “Basta sa Read More …

Nov 292015
PHL argues at Hague court: China deprives us of fishing, exploration

BEIJING, China: President Benigno S. Aquino III shares a light moment with Chinese President Xi Jinping and Commonwealth of Australia Prime Minister Tony Abbott during the 22nd Apec Leaders’ Meeting Tree Planting Ceremony at the Summer Garden of the International Conference Center at Yanqui Lake here on Tuesday (November 11). (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) — The Philippine delegation argued before the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, Netherlands that China’s nine-dash claim has deprived the Philippines of fishing in disputed territories. The first round of arguments for the hearing on the merits of the Philippines’ case challenging the territorial claims of China began November 24 and is scheduled to last until November 30. In a bulletin sent from The Hague, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the team’s November 24 presentation focused “on the lack of basis for China’s historic claims over the Nine-Dash Line.” According to Valte, principal counsel Paul Reichler argued that China’s nine-dash claim does not exist in the provisions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). “Mr. Reichler mentioned that China has asserted exclusive rights over the areas covered by the Nine-Dash Line and has deprived the Philippines of fishing and exploration activities,” said Valte. The Philippines is of the position that it has exclusive rights to fish in the disputed waters within its 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Professor Bernard Oxman, one of the legal counsels, discussed how China’s claims to the South China Sea, parts of which Read More …