Oct 252013
 
Dingdong continues to inspire Marian

Dingdong Dantes & Marian Rivera (MNS Photo) IT FEELS good to be in love with someone who always inspires and motivates you – someone who also supports your ups and downs and understands your tantrums and convinces you to be a much better person. The Primetime Queen of Kapuso Network, Marian Rivera is lucky enough to have someone who’s always at her side, no other than the hunk-actor and a multi-awarded one, Dingdong Dantes. The mestisa actress can’t help but to express her affection and gladness to have Dingdong at her side. The actress confessed that she is very much blessed to have a partner who understands even the smallest details of her. “Si Dong kasi yung taong nag-iinspire sa akin and made me a better person,” Marian said. She added that in terms of her career, the actor is very supportive in everything she does. “Masaya kasi yung relasyon namin. May sarili kaming desisyon when it comes sa career namin. Mas importante na open kami sa isat-isa at saka no need ng magpa-alam kami sa mga gawain namin kasi nga alam namin kung ano yung makabubuti o hindi para sa career namin,” Marian said. Marian believes that Dingdong didn’t change her literally, but had helped her enhance more the Marian the public should know. “Tinulungan niya akong ipakita yung totoong ako. Siya yung nagturo sa akin to open-up, like he encouraged me na mag-open ng Instagram account,” she said. Despite negative comments thrown on her that she is snub Read More …

Oct 252013
 
Palace: Quake, disaster preparedness should start at home

Bartolome Bautista, deputy director of Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS), points to the epicenter of the magnitude 6.8 earthquake which hit central Philippines on Monday Feb. 6, 2012 during a news conference at suburban Quezon city, northeast of Manila, Philippines. Officials said the quake in central Philippines killed at least five people as it destroyed buildings, triggered landslides that buried dozens of houses, trapping residents and listed 29 more as missing. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) – After the deadly magnitude-7.2 quake that devastated Central Visayas, Malacañang on Saturday pushed for quake preparedness measures at the community and family levels. Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said families should draw up and review their own measures, saying disaster preparedness starts at home. “We highly encourage everybody to review your family’s disaster preparedness measures. Kung lahat tayo maihanda ang pamilya natin, malaking bagay ‘yan,” she said on government-run dzRB radio. Her call came amid reports that the West Valley Fault Line could move every 200 to 400 years, with the last major movement occurring 200 years ago. So far, she said the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology has been distributing geo-hazard maps to local governments. “Ang pinakamagandang panangga rito, ihanda natin ang ating pamilya,” she said. In the meantime, she urged the public to make sure their homes are structurally sound. She also said government preparedness measures “will be for naught if citizens do not cooperate.” “If we can take care of our families and contribute to the preparedness of Read More …

Oct 252013
 
Palace: Obama visit may push through now that US shutdown has ended

President Barack Obama talks on the phone with FBI Director Robert Mueller to receive an update on the explosions that occurred in Boston, in the Oval Office, April 15, 2013. Seated with the President are Lisa Monaco, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, and Chief of Staff Denis McDonough. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza) MANILA (Mabuhay) — Now that the partial shutdown of the United States government is over, Malacañang said the visit of US President Barack Obama to the Philippines may now push through. Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said that while there has been no sign for now on when the visit will take place, saying it could be at a “mutually convenient” time for both countries. “(Obama) also committed to push through with his visit at a mutually convenient time for both countries. Kakatapos lang ng domestic issues doon,” she said on government-run dzRB radio. But when asked if there has been any immediate indication of when the visit will be, she said, “Wala pa naman (None as of now).” Earlier, the US announced Obama may not push through with his visit to the Philippines due to the partial shutdown of the government in the US. The partial shutdown had been caused by a deadlocked Congress, but ended after a budget deal was passed. President Benigno Aquino earlier said he understands why Obama canceled his visit to the Philippines amid the partial government shutdown. “(W)e perfectly understand the situation. Stability in their Read More …

Oct 252013
 
Miriam wants to end President’s pork

Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago (photo courtesy of www.en.wikipedia.org) MANILA (Mabuhay) – Sen. Miriam Defensor Santiago on Monday filed a resolution that seeks to end the President’s alleged off-budget or “pork barrel” funds including the funds from the Malampaya gas project, the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR). Santiago, chairwoman of the committee on constitutional amendments and revision of codes, said all off-budget funds, particularly the funds from Malampaya, PCSO, and PAGCOR should be included in the Budget of Expenditures and Sources of Financing (BESF) submitted annually by the President to Congress. She said so-called “off-budget funds” are unconstitutional, because such funds violate the constitutional provision which states: “No money shall be paid out of the treasury except in pursuance of an appropriation made by law.” (Constitution, Art. 6, Sec. 29, para.1) The senator said that these off-budget funds were created during martial law and excluded from the national treasury, violating the “one-fund” concept, which she called a “sound concept that should not admit of any exception.” “At present, these off-budget funds are under the complete control of the President, without an appropriation made by Congress. The practice of off-budget funds is an evil that should be struck down on its face for violating the Constitution,” she said. Santiago said it is Congress that possesses the sole power to appropriate the revenues earned by government. She noted that the BESF report from Malacañang is supposed to contain the sources of government revenues and their Read More …

Oct 252013
 
Senators expect explosive pork inquiry with Napoles’ presence

CELEBRATING THE SENATE’S 97th ANNIVERSARY. Senate President Franklin M. Drilon addresses Senate officials and employees during the Senate’s flag raising ceremony Monday, October 21. Drilon took the opportunity to thank everyone for what he calls a “selfless act” in deciding to forego plans to celebrate the annual Christmas Party in favor of donating the funds to the victims of recent calamities that struck Visayas and Mindanao. The Senate, which is also celebrating its 97th Anniversary, has also decided to allocate the budget for the anniversary to the victims of the recent 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit Bohol and Cebu. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) – Now that the Senate has finally subpoenaed Janet Lim Napoles, some senators see explosive showdown between the alleged pork barrel scam queen and whistleblowers led by Benhur Luy in the next Senate inquiry set on November 7. ”It could be explosive but we don’t know if it is the equivalent of a political nuclear bomb or minor firework,” Senator Sonny Angara said. On Monday, Senate President Franklin Drilon signed the subpoena ordering Napoles as well as the whistleblowers to appear and testify before the Senate blue ribbon committee on Nov. 7. ”Only Janet Lim Napoles and her lawyer would know beforehand what she will say or not say,” Angara said. For his part, Senator Antonio Trillanes IV believed that Napoles would not tell to the Senate panel everything about the fake non-government organizations (NGOs) she used to siphon billions of priority development assistance fund (PDAF) of Read More …

Oct 252013
 
Over P100M needed for 4 damaged Bohol churches

Residents try to put out a fire in Malabon city, north of Manila, October 21, 2013. The fire razed fifty houses and displaced an estimated 100 residents, local media reported.(MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) – More than P100 million is needed to restore or rebuild four churches in Bohol that were heavily damaged by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit the province and other parts of central Visayas last week. Atty. Trixie Angeles, the legal counsel of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) and the agency’s vice chairwoman for the national committee on monuments and sites, said a lot of money is needed to address the structures of the St. Peter’s Church in Loboc, the Baclayon Church and two small churches in Tawis and Luay. She stressed, however, that they still have to collate the opinions of other experts to come up with a final budget. “We have something in the back of our heads but this is not a final amount… We know it is going to be more than a hundred million to address four structures because they need to be retrofitted. They need to be shored up. There have to be tests done on the structure itself to see if any of the foundations have been compromised, and so on,” Angeles said. Angeles added that they also have to “consider the feelings of the stakeholders,” saying that they do not want to end up putting the heritage structures “in a glass case.” “The best heritage Read More …

Oct 242013
 
US ‘pivot’ to Asia gaining strength—admiral

USS George Washington. AP FILE PHOTO ABOARD THE USS GEORGE WASHINGTON—The United States has significantly increased its warships and aircraft deployed in Asia despite Washington’s budget woes, adding punch to its “pivot” to the region, a senior naval commander said. Rear Admiral Mark C. Montgomery, commander of an aircraft carrier strike group homeported in Yokosuka, Japan, said the expanded military presence would have a calming effect on simmering tensions and territorial disputes in the region. “The strategic rebalancing has resulted in an extremely higher number of surface combatants, cruisers and destroyers that support the strike group,” Montgomery told Agence France-Presse in an interview on Wednesday aboard the aircraft carrier USS George Washington in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). “What we’ve seen is an increase in surface combatant presence here in the Western Pacific… so these ships are spread throughout those areas,” he said, in the interview at the flag bridge of the nuclear-powered supercarrier as fighter jets took off and landed on the deck as part of drills. “Having more ships gives us more presence. It allows us to have a greater force.” Montgomery said US defense budget cuts and the recent 16-day partial US government shutdown have not affected his command. The shutdown forced President Barack Obama to skip two Asian summits this month, triggering concerns about the extent of US commitment to the region as China becomes more assertive. “Operations and maintenance decisions have not affected us. The strategic rebalance is continuing in earnest,” the admiral Read More …

Oct 242013
 
Film NICO’S SAMPAGUITA Launches ONEFILAM Film Festival In Celebration of the Filipino-American History Month of October

October 24, 2013 (Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA)- The ONEFILAM Film Festival, the first Filipino American film festival in Los Angeles in celebration of the Fil-Am History Month, will be launched on October 27, 2013 with the premiere Los Angeles screening of the short film, Nico’s Sampaguita. Nico’s Sampaguita is directed by Aaron Woolfolk and produced by San Francisco-based Filipina-American producers Esperanza Catubig and Lisa A. Chong. A project of Theater Residencies, Incorporated, Nico’s Sampaguita recently won an award in Vancouver, Washington and was invited for an encore Screening at Raleigh Studios as part of the Reel Black Men Film Festival and continues to win acclaim as it makes its way through the film festival circuit. The film’s cast & crew will be in attendance at the Los Angeles premiere screening this Sunday, October 27, 2012, from 2:00 to 5:00 pm at Noypitz Bar & Restaurant, 933 North Brand Blvd., Glendale, CA 91202. Saxophonist Jonathan Bautista will be performing the film’s theme song with legendary jazz pianist, Winston Raval together with starring actress Esperanza Catubig and award winning actors Darion Basco, Jon Jon Briones, Rico E. Anderson and director Aaron Woolfolk. A project of  Theater Residencies, Incorporated, Nico’s Sampaguita is still making its way through the film festival circuit, winning an award in Vancouver, Washington and most recently was invited for an encore Screening at Raleigh Studios as part of the Reel Black Men Film Festival. Nico’s Sampaguita is set in San Francisco’s historic Fillmore jazz district. A grieving woman, Alma (Esperanza Catubig), struggles with the sudden death of her musician husband (Darion Basco) and what his spirit has left behind. Alma Read More …

Oct 242013
 
Santa Ana Resident Supports Autism Speaks and Walks for her Four Children with Autism

RoBen Head will walk in honor of her four adopted children with autism during Orange County Walk Now for Autism Speaks Co-Directors Dr. Rachel Fenning, Dr. Erica Howell, and Dr. Jason Baker SANTA ANA, CA– Santa Ana resident RoBen Head embraces the challenges and triumphs of raising not one but four adopted children diagnosed with autism. Evan, 15, Taylor, 13, Nathan, 13 and Jordon, 11 were all diagnosed around the age of three. At age 53, Head navigates through her busy day of schedules by caring for each one in her full time job as stay-at-home mom. Head created “Team Evan” last year to walk in honor of her children and all families who face the challenges of living with autism.  ABOUT ORANGE COUNTY WALK NOW FOR AUTISM SPEAKS: The 10th annual Orange County Walk Now for Autism Speaks will be held November 16, 2013 at the Orange County Great Park, El Toro Field at 6990 Marine Way in Irvine, CA. Service Champions Heating & Air Conditioning is the 10th anniversary presenting sponsor. The 2012 Orange County Autism Walk hosted 8,500 people and raised $255,000. www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/orangecounty https://www.facebook.com/AutismSpeaks.OC   ABOUT AUTISM SPEAKS:  Autism Speaks is the nation’s largest autism advocacy organization, dedicated to increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders, funding research into the causes, prevention and treatments for autism, and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families. www.autismspeaks.org ABOUT AUTISM: According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, autism now affects about 1 in every 88 American children, including Read More …