Aug 132015
 
SC grants Enrile plea on bill of particulars over pork cases

Senate Minority Floor Leader Juan Ponce Enrile (center) arrives at the Sandiganbayan in Quezon City on Friday, July 11, to attend his arraignment on graft and plunder charges in connection with the alleged P10-billion pork barrel scam. He faces one count of plunder and 15 counts of graft. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) — The Supreme Court has granted a petition filed by Senator Juan Ponce Enrile to get a bill of particulars from the Sandiganbayan to enable him to properly plead and prepare for his graft and plunder trial. In a media briefing, SC Public Information Office chief and spokesman Theodore Te said the high tribunal, sitting en banc, voted 8-5 in favor of Enrile’s petition that was filed August of last year. “In light of the court action, petitioner Senator Enrile is given the opportunity to confirm or change the plea that the Sandiganbayan entered for him, if he so wishes,” Te said. Enrile is facing one count of plunder and 15 counts of graft. In separate information sheets filed by the Ombudsman, Enrile and his co-accused, including his former chief of staff Gigi Reyes, are alleged to have amassed P172.8 million in kickbacks from 2004 to 2010 through non-government organizations associated with alleged pork barrel fund scam brains Janet Lim-Napoles. In his 79-page petition, Enrile said the Sandiganbayan acted without, or in excess of jurisdiction or with grave abuse of discretion, when it compelled the lawmaker to plead to the criminal charges without granting his “motion for bill Read More …

Aug 132015
 
Mar, Grace in tug of war over NPC?

President Benigno S. Aquino III converses with Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II during the 114th Police Service Anniversary at the PNP Multi-Purpose Center, Camp Crame in Quezon City on Friday, August 7 with the theme: “Pambansang Pulisya: Patuloy sa Makabuluhang Paglilingkod at Makatarungang Pagpapatupad ng Batas.” MANILA (Mabuhay) — Is the Nationalist People’s Coalition (NPC) torn between Interior Secretary Mar Roxas and neophyte Senator Grace Poe? NPC congressmen on Tuesday showed up at Roxas’ headquarters to show support for the Liberal Party’s (LP) standard-bearer. The NPC congressemen include Negros Oriental Rep. Pryde Teves, Quezon Rep. Mark Enverga, Batangas Rep. Mark Llandro Mendoza, Bohol Rep. Erico Aumentado, Tarlac Rep. Susan Yap, Bacolod Rep. Evelio Leonardia, South Cotabato Rep. Pedro Acharon, Negros Occidental Rep. Mercedes Alvarez, Cebu Rep. Gerald Gullas, Zamboanga del Sur Rep. Victor Yu, Negros Oriental Rep. George Arnaiz, Rizal Rep. Isidro Rodriguez and Masbate Rep. Scott Lañete. Also present in the meeting were General Santos Mayor Darlene Antonino-Custodio and Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) Secretary Lou Antonino. The meeting was held following pronouncements from NPC President, Deputy Speaker Giorgidi Aggabao, that the party is inclined to back the tandem of Poe and Francis Escudero should they eventually decide to run in 2016. NPC spokesman, Rex Gatchalian, however, said the party has yet to decide on the matter. “The NPC as a party has not decided whom it will support in the next elections. Members are free to express their opinions on who they prefer. They are free Read More …

Aug 132015
 
Palace condoles with Arroyo over brother’s death

Former Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo arrives with husband, Jose Miguel, at the Sandiganbayan anti-graft court in Quezon City, Metro Manila, April 11, 2012. Arroyo entered a plead of not guilty to allegations of graft and corruption in the tainted telecommunications deal with China in 2007. REUTERS/Cheryl Ravelo (PHILIPPINES – Tags: POLITICS CRIME LAW) MANILA (Mabuhay) – Malacañang extended its condolences to former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo over the death of her elder brother, Arturo dela Rosa Macapagal. In a statement, Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. noted Arturo’s achievements and his contributions to Philippine society. ”The nation lost an outstanding Olympian and a respected business leader with the passing of Arturo D. Macapagal this morning,” Coloma said. ”Mr. Macapagal represented the country in the 1972 (Munich) and 1976 (Montreal) Olympic Games and held the national record in Olympic free pistol shooting for more than 21 years. ”He is a recognized leader in the automotive industry and is a staunch supporter of various socio-civic organizations such as Habitat for Humanity and Scholarship Foundation for the Filipino Youth, where he served as Chairman.” Arturo had been confined at the Makati Medical Center for prostate cancer. Arturo was the son of President Diosdado Macapagal from his first wife, Purita dela Rosa. He and Cielo Macapagal are half-siblings of the former president and Diosdado Jr. or Buboy. Arroyo was supposed to see him today for a 5-hour furlough from 3 to 8 pm. Instead, the Sandiganbayan First Division has allowed Read More …

Aug 132015
 
Group slams ‘insincere’ Paje over cutting down of heritage trees at Army Navy Club

Environmental activists dramatize the effects of burning waste using incinerators during a protest on Tuesday. The groups asked the government to follow the Philippine Air Act and not be swayed by attempts of interest groups to lift the ban on waste incineration. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) – An environmental group on Monday expressed its disappointment over the decision of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to issue a tree-cutting permit to the developer of the historic Army and Navy Club in Manila, saying it is inconsistent with the National Greening Program of the agency. Gwen Borcena, executive director of Green Research, said in a Balitanghali interview that the decision of the DENR officials, including Secretary Ramon Paje, goes against the campaign of President Benigno Aquino III to protect the environment. “Alam namin si President Aquino sincere siya na gusto niyang nasa social contract niya ang pangangalaga sa kalikasan; na hindi ito isaalang-alang sa short-term gain and profit. Pero ‘yung mga ginagawang desisyon ng Gabinete niya at undersecretaries diyan sa DENR, taliwas,” she said. “Ang DENR dapat maging consistent. Sinasabi nilang may National Greening Program pero kaliwa’t kanan ‘yung binibigay nilang mga tree-cutting permits,” Borcena added. Borcena said Paje should be “more serious” in listening to the opinions of civil society organizations and heritage consultants before the DENR issues permits for “controversial” projects such as the restoration of the Army and Navy Club. “Mahirap pagkatiwalaan ang DENR dahil ilang ulit niyo na kaming na-disappoint. Sinasabi niyo na patay ang Read More …

Aug 132015
 
VACC leader supports Duterte for president

Mayor Rodrigo Duterte is a bold local official who seems to “endorse” violence against criminals. MANILA (Mabuhay) – One of the leaders of the anti-crime watchdog Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC) will support Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte if he runs for president in 2016. VACC board member Arsenio “Boy” Evangelista said the group is on the same page as Duterte, particularly in pushing for the revival of the death penalty. “Nagshu-shoot up siya (Duterte) from local to national, nare-recognize siya dahil ‘yung mandato niya, nafi-feel nating lahat na meron tayong kakampi, na may paglalagyan ‘tong mga kriminal na ‘to,” he said. Evangelista said the popularity of Duterte among possible presidential candidates in 2016 only shows that the crime rate in the country is not going down, contrary to the data released by the Philippine National Police (PNP) last week. “Sa datos, kinokontra namin ‘yan. Bakit dumadami ang members namin sa VACC? Months after the incident, hindi sila (kin of crime victims) makakuha ng sagot sa PNP o sa lahat ng agencies ng gobyerno. So sila, pumupunta sa VACC, ‘yun ang totoong datos namin,” he said. Evangelista said the death penalty may not be the best solution to fight crime, but the VACC believes it is one of the major steps that can be taken by the government. He said if the death penalty fails to deter crime, then the government can just junk it. “Kami sa VACC tingin namin, it’s one of the major solutions. Bakit ‘di po Read More …

Aug 132015
 
Subaru announces UK prices and details for Levorg sports tourer

Subaru confirms UK specifications and pricing for new Levorg Sport Tourer.© Subaru UK Ltd. (Relaxnews) – The Levorg, which made its debut at the Geneva Motor Show 2015, will go on sale in the UK next month. Subaru has announced that the new Levorg tourer will be on sale in the UK in September and will be priced at £27,495 ($42,840). Other announcements included engine specifications — 168bhp 1.6-liter turbo boxer petrol — and safety equipment updates, such as the Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection System. The brand has also emphasized the tourer’s high-quality interior: “Subaru engineers and designers promise that the Levorg will offer one of the company’s most refined cabins created, with a greater use of high quality materials.[…] Leather trim is used generously within the cabin, including the door trims, on the centre console and on top of the multi-function display on the dashboard.” The Levorg made its European debut at the Geneva Motor Show this year but has been on sale in Japan since 2014. erk/kc

Aug 132015
 
More than half of US women check ingredients on their beauty products

Women aged 35-54 are most likely to check the labels, with 65 percent scanning the ingredients list of products.©l i g h t p o e t/shutterstock.com (Relaxnews) – How often do you check the label when shopping for beauty products? According to a new study, 59 percent of US women now scan their cosmetics for pontentially harmful ingredients before heading to the checkout. The “Green Beauty Barometer” survey has revealed that the majority of shoppers read beauty product ingredient labels prior to purchase, while nearly 40 percent intend to increase their spending on all-natural beauty products. Sulfates were the top ingredient to look out for, with 29 percent of participants seeking to avoid them, according to the poll carried out by natural beauty brand Kari Gran. These were followed by parabens (22 percent), synthetic fragrances (18 percent), PEG compounds (15 percent) and mineral oil (11 percent). Women aged 35-54 are most likely to check the labels, with 65 percent scanning the ingredients list of products. Sixty-three percent of 18-34-year-olds do the same, as to 59 percent of those aged to 45-54. The age group least likely to read the label was the 55-64s. Natural beauty is becoming more of a priority for many women, with 39 percent of participants claiming they will buy more all-natural beauty products in the next two years than they currently do. Millennials aged 18-34 are the most likely to spend more on all-natural beauty products in the next two years, with half of them Read More …