Aug 072015
 
Slow Yolanda rehab? Abad defends PNoy decisions

President Benigno S. Aquino III leads his official family in prayer before presiding over the meeting on Yolanda rehabilitation updates at the Aguinaldo State Dining Room of the Malacañan Palace on Friday (May 16, 2014). (MNS photo) MANILA  (Mabuhay) — Budget Secretary Butch Abad has hit back at critics who say the government was too slow in releasing funds for rehabilitation efforts in areas hit by Typhoon Yolanda (International name Haiyan). Abad said it took time for local officials to put together their rehabilitation proposals after their communities were struck by what was described as the strongest typhoon to hit earth. He added that as of June 30 this year, the government has released close to P 90 billion for rehabilitation efforts and the bulk of the money went to housing for survivors. “The Yolanda reconstruction and rehabilitation program was approved in October 2014… The budget had already been put together then cause we normally submit the budget in July… The president didn’t want to approve just a general statement of ‘I need a road’, you have to be very specific,” said Abad. He also pointed out that the Aquino administration needed to be complimented for the way it funded rehabilitation efforts in the wake of Typhoon Yolanda. He said that aside from the P23 billion in supplemental budget given by Congress, government sourced funds from savings and P20 billion in dividends from government owned and controlled corporations. (MNS)

Aug 072015
 
Free WiFi for 99% of the Philippines by 2016

Free WiFi access for 99 percent of the Philippine archipelago by 2016 has been projected by the Department of Science and Technology. The Free Wi-Fi Internet Access in Public Places project was announced by DOST Secretary Mario Montejo on the opening day of the 2015 National Science and Technology Week (NSTW) in July.  A DOST release states the project targets to provide Internet connectivity services in 967 Class 3, 4, 5,and 6 municipalities and key cities nationwide. This will be made available in public places such as parks, plazas, schools, rural health units and government hospitals. “Free Wi-Fi Internet Access in Public Places strives to enable Filipinos to harness the vast potential and benefits of having consistent Internet connectivity to improve their lives and assist in bringing the country toward progress,” Montejo announced. “First of all, Internet connection is capable of opening new markets for micro, small, and medium enterprises. It can also help the Mang Juans and Aling Marias who live in far-flung areas to reach basic government services. In addition, Internet connectivity also helps improve education,” Montejo added. Quezon City Memorial Circle, Quezon City Hall, PHILCOA, Social Security System, and LTO in Quezon City and Rizal Park in Manila started to get free Internet access as part of an alpha launch test of Free Wi-Fi Internet Access in Public Places to help DOST’s Information and Communications Technology Office (ICT Office) to assess the system and make the necessary adjustments before rolling out the project on a larger scale. Read More …

Aug 072015
 
DOTC exec says LRT-1 fare hike every 2 years not set in stone

— Members of Akbayan Youth troop to the Metro Rail Transit (MRT) at the GMA-Kamuning station in Quezon City on Wednesday wearing safety gear such as helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads to dramatize the dangers posed by riding the poorly maintained MRT 3, which is plagued with problems.(MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) — An official of the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) on Wednesday said the government can prevent private contractors from implementing fare hikes every two years for the Light Rail Transit (LRT) 1. At the House of Representatives’ Metro Manila Development committee’s hearing, DOTC Undersecretary Jose Perpetuo Lotilla confirmed the existence of a fare hike provision in the concession agreement signed by the government with the Light Rail Manila Consortium (LRMC). Lotilla, however, clarified that the government can prevent the fare hike if the private contractor fails to comply with its obligations as stated in the concession agreement. “The provision [for the fare hike] is there but we must remember that the government has the discretion whether or not to enforce it. There’s a provision, for instance, which allows [for the fare hike not to be enforced] as a result of the contractors’ non-enforcement of its obligations,” he said. The DOTC official added that the government can also prevent the fare hike if certain assumptions in the agreement turn out to be untrue. “Let’s say the assumptions turn out to be untrue or there are certain changes in circumstance such that those assumptions will no longer hold… Under Read More …

Aug 072015
 
KC Concepcion admits dating foreigner

KC Concepcion (MNS Photo) MANILA  (Mabuhay) — Months after her much-publicized breakup with Paulo Avelino, KC Concepcion admitted that she is back in the dating scene. Concepcion revealed that she is now seeing a non-showbiz guy but refused to disclose details about him. The actress, however, revealed that the guy is not a Filipino. “Yes, I’m dating. Quietly lang. European. Ayaw kong maudlot. Next [guesting na lang],” she said. “He’s European. He lives in the Middle East, pero [back and forth siya].” After her very public relationships in the past, Concepcion explained that she now prefers a non-showbiz guy. “Tumingin sa akin si Erich (Gonzales) kanina, sabi niya, ‘Non-showbiz na lang, maganda no?’ Sabi ko oo, for me. Kasi I’ve dated na my leading men, I’ve done that whole thing na. Tinutuluy-tuloy ko, after ng shoot na nagiging kami. So sabi ko na-experience ko na ‘yung dating leading men, so maganda ‘yung [non-showbiz],” she said. Asked if they are exclusively dating, she said: “I’m dating but not exclusively kasi bago pa lang. Ayaw ko pangunahan.” Concepcion also revealed that the guy is more than five years older than her. “He’s hard-working and older… Pero wala din naman sa age. It’s yung pagkatao talaga. Kaya nga I don’t want na porke’t may dine-date, kami na agad. You never know. You have to really give it time. Sabi nila, eight months to one year tapos saka mo pa lang makikita ang totoong kulay ng tao,” she said. (MNS)

Aug 072015
 
Mar: I asked Grace to be my VP

President Benigno S. Aquino III delivers his speech during the commemoration of the 116th anniversary of the Proclamation of the Philippine Independence at the Plaza Quince Martires in Naga city, Camarines Sur on Thursday (June 12, 2014). This year’s theme is “Pagsunod sa Yapak ng mga Dakilang Pilipino, Tungo sa Malawakan at Permanenteng Pagbabago.” Also in photo are Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II, Camarines Sur 3rd District Rep. Ma. Leonor Robredo and National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) chairperson Maria Serena Diokno. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) — Interior Secretary Mar Roxas on Wednesday morning confirmed that he invited Sen. Grace Poe to run as the Liberal Party’s vice presidential candidate. “Inimbita ho natin, bukas po ang ang partido, bukas po ako. Inimbita ho namin si Senadora Grace Poe na sumama dito sa tandem na ito, na sumama sa ating movement, sa ating laban na pagpapatuloy, pagpapalawak ng daang matuwid,” Roxas said. It was the first time that Roxas clarified the issue on national television. Roxas clarified that he had asked Poe to be his running mate even before he was endorsed by President Benigno Aquino III last July 31 at the historic Club Filipino. He said Poe could have been thinking that the offer was not formal because he was not yet endorsed by Aquino at the time. Last May, Poe herself said that Roxas offered her to be his running mate during a chance meeting at a restaurant. Roxas said he made his offer to Read More …

Aug 072015
 
Trillanes absent at hearing of Junjun Binay’s libel complaint

Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay speaks at a briefing at the Makati City hall on Monday. The Office of the Ombudsman has approved the preventive suspension of Mayor Binay and other Makati officials over the construction of the Makati Science High School building. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) — Senator Antonio Trillanes on Wednesday failed to both attend a preliminary investigation and submit a counter-affidavit on a libel complaint filed against him by suspended Makati Mayor Jejomar “Junjun” Binay. The lawmaker’s legal counsel Judy Ann Bautista said his client was unable to attend due to a previous commitment in Quezon province. Bautista, however, assured handling prosecutor Gilmarie Fe Pacamara that the lawmaker would appear before the DOJ on the second day of the PI set for Thursday next week. Bautista also revealed their camp had actually already prepared a draft counter-affidavit that only awaits Trillanes’ go signal to be submitted. Yeah, yeah, actually we are ready; we brought the draft of the counter-affidavit po, subject to the review of Senator Trillanes. It is already done; it is already prepared. Kailangan lang po yung consent. During the PI, the Binay camp informed the handling prosecutor that it still has a pending motion asking that the complaint be returned to Makati. The libel complaint was earlier transfered from Makati to the DOJ in Manila after Trillanes’ camp filed a motion seeking the Makati prosecutor’s office inhibition. “We believe kapag nandito po (sa DOJ), magkakaroon ng neutral at impartial decision ang DOJ,” Bautista Read More …

Aug 072015
 
Defeated senatorial bet wants Grace Poe unseated

— Five of the six female members of the Senate pose for a souvenir photo in their colorful attire before the opening of the 3rd and last Regular Session of the 16th Congress at the Senate Building in Pasay City on Monday (July 27, 2015). They are (from left) Senators Pia Cayetano, Loren Legarda, Cynthia Villar, Grace Poe and Maria Lourdes Binay. Not in photo is Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) — A former senatorial candidate who lost in the 2013 elections on Wednesday attempted to challenge Sen. Grace Poe’s seat in the Senate over the issue of her citizenship. However, Lito David was not able to file his petition before the Senate Electoral Tribunal (SET) after he failed to pay the P50,000 filing fee. “This is the cost of justice?! Napakamahal naman!” an obviously exasperated David exclaimed when SET staff Mae Maglicmot told him the amount of the filing fee. David told reporters that he was aware that he has to pay a filing fee but said he did not expect it to be P50,000. “Alam ko na may filing fee, but I did not expect it to be that high. Hindi naman ito pormal na protesta na kinukuwestyon ko kung siya ba ay nanalo [o] natalo [noong eleksyon],” he said. When asked on when he intends to file again his motion, David told reporters: “I do not know. Baka gusto niyo mag-contribute ng tig P1,000? Tutal mga nasa 50 naman yata tayo dito.” In his Read More …

Aug 072015
 
Binay camp gets back at ‘high blood’ Lacierda

Vice President Jejomar Binay walks among his supporters at the Makati City hall on Monday. People gathered at the city hall grounds to show their support for the older Binay and his son, Makati Mayor Junjun Binay, who was earlier served another suspension by the Ombudsman. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) — The camp of Vice President Jejomar Binay slammed Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda for making an issue out of the allegedly required attendance of students in Binay’s “true” State of the Nation Address (Sona) at the Cavite State University (CvSU) last August 3. In a statement, Office of the Vice President Media Affairs head Joey Salgado said that government officials and Cabinet secretaries should have filed an official leave when they attended the endorsement of Interior Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas as the administration coalition’s presidential bet at Club Filipino last July 30. “If Secretary Lacierda continues to make an issue out of the Cavite State University students attending the True Sona of Vice President Binay, we will remind him that they held their ‘Gathering of Friends’ in Club Filipino during office hours but Cabinet Secretaries and other government officials were in attendance. We can only hope that they were on official leave,” Lacierda said. He also asked Lacierda to take the chill pill as Binay’s name “makes his blood rise.” “If Secretary Lacierda loves his coffee, perhaps he should cut back, as the mere mention of [the] Vice President Binay’s name apparently makes his blood rise. His anger gets the Read More …

Aug 072015
 
UN report on Yolanda victims reads ‘Shame on you Mr. President’

The Aquino administration must have been stung and mortified by the bitter criticism it got from the United Nations (UN) for its continued inability to provide basic needs and services for thousands of flood victim families who were displaced by super typhoon “Yolanda” two years ago. The UN also gave a negative verdict on the governments’ apparent continued inadequate attention in ensuring durable solutions for internally displaced persons. Chaloka Beyani, UN Special Rapporteur on human rights of internally displaced persons (IDPs) was in the Philippines for 10 day- fact finding visit last month to check on the Aquino’s government handling of flood victims in the devastated areas of Leyte and Samar. Beyani’s report indicated that thousands of families are still housed in “collective bunkhouses that do not meet necessary minimum standards for the provision of basic needs and services. This negative assessment by UN will have a tremendous impact on the future financial aid the Philippines will need. I’m sure that by this time, UN must have found out also that thousands of medical supplies it donated , including financial aid, have gone missing and remains unaccounted. If you were to ask fashion conscious Social Welfare Secretary Dinky Soliman, the whereabouts of the money and medical supplies, packed food and thousands of bottled waters, her most likely answer would be “It must’ve been swept away by rampaging flood waters.” The DSWD also admitted recently that some 2,000 flood victim families have been forced to remain in evacuation camps and makeshift Read More …