Aug 022015
 
Daniel Padilla explains vaping photo

Daniel Padilla(MNS Photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) — Young star Daniel Padilla has broken his silence after a photo of him smoking an e-cigarette made the rounds online. “Hindi yosi ‘yun. Hindi rin ‘yun droga. Vapor po ‘yun. Hindi naman ako nag-yosi, talagang vape lang. Hindi ko naman lahat sinasabi mag-vape na pero siguro tayo namang tao, may mga sariling buhay din naman tayo. May mga sarili tayong gusto,” he said. Padilla’s photo was met with mixed reactions from his fans. While some still support the actor, others felt that he sets a bad example to his young fans. The actor, however, emphasized that he does not have other vices except for two. “Magpuyat at basketball, ‘yun lang,” he said. As a celebrity, Padilla admitted that it is difficult when people watch his every move. “Mahirap kasi parang ‘yun nga, nakita akong nagve-vape, mali kaagad. Mahirap. Pero kung ayaw niyo na sa akin, ayaw niyo na,” he said.

Aug 022015
 
NP’s dilemma: What if Marcos, Trillanes, Cayetano all run for VP?

The Blue Ribbon Sub-Committee, chaired by Sen. Koko Pimentel, resumes its inquiry on the alleged overpricing of the 11-storey new Makati City II Parking Building, the 22-storey Makati City Hall Building and related anomalies. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) – It would be a “zona libre” (free zone) for the Nacionalista Party (NP) if three of its members would run for vice president in 2016, Senator Cynthia Villar said on Tuesday. Villar, wife of former Senator and NP president Manny Villar, said it would be difficult for the party if its stalwarts —Senators Alan Peter Cayetano, Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., and Antonio Trillanes IV— all run for vice president. So far, only Trillanes has publicly declared his intention to run for vice president. While he has declared his desire to run for president, Cayetano said he had been receiving feelers to run for vice president from supporters of Senator Grace Poe and Local Government Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas II. Marcos, on the other hand, has not publicly declared his plans for 2016. His name, however, has been floated as a possible running-mate of opposition leader Vice President Jejomar Binay. “Para ngang marami sa kanila ang (tatakbong) vice president, so that would be the difficulty for us; sana kung isa lang from the NP, that would be easy,” Mrs. Villar told reporters. (It seems like many of them will be running for vice president, so that would be the difficulty for us; if only one of them would just run, then it Read More …

Aug 022015
 
Militant solons’ Sona protest ‘in aid of reelection’ says LP exec

House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. bangs the gavel to signal the start of the third and last regular session of the 16th Congress at the Plenary Hall of the Batasang Pambansa in Quezon City on Monday (July 27, 2015). The House of Representatives members will hold a joint session with the senators Monday afternoon to hear the last and 6th State-of-the-Nation Address (SONA) of President Benigno S. Aquino III. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) – The protest action of lawmen from the Makabayan bloc during the sixth and last State of the Nation Address (Sona) of President Benigno Aquino III is a maneuver for them to secure votes for the upcoming elections, an administration ally said on Monday. Liberal Party chairman for political affairs and Caloocan representative Edgar Erice said that the protest action by the seven militant lawmakers is “in aid of reelection.” “(Yung ginawa nila is) in aid of reelection. Kung saan sila makakakuha ng publicity, gagawin nila para maalala lagi sila sa botohan, lalo na sa party-list election. Maalala sila na sila ang nambastos,” Erice said. (What they did is in aid of reelection. They will do everything they can to gain publicity and to be remembered in the party-list election. They will be remembered as the unruly lawmakers.) The lawmaker also hit the militant solons for disrespecting the President. “It’s very unparliamentary. Bakit ka maglalagay ng mga ganyan? Puwede naman kayong magsalita. Puwede silang mag-kontra Sona. May kalayaan naman silang magsalita, pero bakit kailangan pa nilang mambastos?” Read More …

Aug 022015
 
Lacson: Platform, not ‘petty politics’ will define my campaign

Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson with Filipino workers in Hong Kong. There are more than 290,000 domestic workers in the former British colony, now under China, many of whom are Filipinos earning as much as $480 a month. MANILA (Mabuhay) – Former Senator Panfilo “Ping” Lacson said he would not engage in “petty politics” if he decides to run in 2016. Lacson issued the statement when asked to react on the exchange of words between Vice President Jejomar Binay and Local Government Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas II. Binay has declared his presidential bid next year, while Roxas is the presumptive standard-bearer of the administration’s Liberal Party (LP) “Well that is their politics. I do not want to get myself involved in their politics. Kung mayroon silang pulitika, let them be,” said Lacson, who is also considering running for president. And when asked if he would run next year, the former senator said: “I will campaign on my own merits. Kung sakaling tatakbo (If I will run), I will not engage in petty politics or sisiraan mo yung kalaban mo (throw mud at my opponents).” “Dapat gan’on. Kami mayroon kaming maliwanag na plataporma na ito pwedeng ipatupad na sa tingin ko, well sa tingin ko, well, rationally, ‘pag naipatupad ito, sa palagay ko malaki iaasenso ng ating bansa,” he further said. (It should be that way. Because we have a clear platform that I think, rationally, if implemented, I think will help our country improve.) (MNS)

Aug 022015
 
Gov’t tells MRT owner: Drop case vs new train cars

— Members of Akbayan Youth troop to the Metro Rail Transit (MRT) at the GMA-Kamuning station in Quezon City on Wednesday wearing safety gear such as helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads to dramatize the dangers posed by riding the poorly maintained MRT 3, which is plagued with problems.(MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) – Government is urging the Sobrepeña-controlled MRT Holdings Inc. (MRTH) to drop its bid to stop the purchase of 48 new train cars for the Metro Rail Transit-3 (MRT-3). The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) said government has “exercised political will” in trying to upgrade the trains, but MRTH is in the way. “The riding public deserves a much better MRT-3 than what the private owner is providing. That is why we exercised political will to add new train cars ourselves. Not only did MRTH fail to add them, they even filed a case to stop us when we did,” Transportation Sec. Jun Abaya said in a statement on Tuesday. “MRTH’s case against DOTC is a case against new trains. It is a case against the public. So we are fighting this case for the public interest,” he added. MRTH, which used to manage the affairs of MRT’s contractual owner MRT Corp. and is now its controlling shareholder, filed a case for the issuance of a temporary restraining order and a permanent injunction against the DOTC to stop it from adding new trains in February 2014. A Makati court initially issued a TRO, but later sided with Read More …