Aug 232014
 
Philippines to repatriate UN troops in Golan, Liberia

The Philippines said Saturday it will repatriate over 400 of its troops serving as UN peacekeepers in the Golan Heights and Liberia amid security threats and concerns over the Ebola virus. “To ensure the safety and security of the Philippine military troops deployed to conflict-affected areas, the country’s contingents in the Golan Heights and Liberia are scheduled to be repatriated within the year,” a Defence Department statement said. “The 331-strong Filipino contingent serving as part of the United Nations Disengagement Force (UNDOF) in the Golan Heights will be repatriated at the end of their tour of duty in October,” the statement said. Meanwhile, about 115 Filipinos serving in Liberia would be repatriated “as soon as possible,” due to the health risk posed by the Ebola virus outbreak in Africa, the statement added. “The Philippines prioritizes the safety and security of its troops, but remains committed to the peacekeeping missions of the United Nations,” the statement said. Defence Department spokesman Peter Paul Galvez said the Philippines would not send back its troops to the Golan Heights “unless the situation improves”. He expressed confidence the pullout would not hurt the country’s standing with the United Nations, recalling that Filipino troops had remained in the Golan Heights in 2013 even after Australian, Croatian and Japanese peacekeepers were withdrawn. “However the situation has become more volatile with increased security risk, hence the recommendation and subsequent approval for repatriation,” he said in a statement to AFP. Galvez also said that the Filipinos from Liberia would Read More …

Aug 232014
 
Philippines hunts new suspects in new 'sextortion' ring

Philippine police arrested eight suspects and are hunting more in connection with an Internet extortion racket that has victimised hundreds of people in Hong Kong, Singapore and Macau, an official said Saturday. This is the second large-scale arrest of suspects allegedly for “sextortion” — using the Internet to lure foreigners into sending them compromising material which they can use for blackmail, said Jhoanna Fabro, spokeswoman of the national police anti-cybercrime division. The eight suspects were arrested and five minors taken into custody following a raid on Thursday in towns just outside Manila, she said. But Fabro warned that an undetermined number may have escaped before the raid. “There are other targets but we weren’t able to get them,” she told AFP. About 400 people from Hong Kong, Singapore and Macau were targeted by the group and the arrests were made due to complaints from victims, Fabro said. The suspects operated from towns in Bulacan province, about 30 kilometres (17 miles) from Manila. They used social media websites such as Facebook to meet people overseas and then used video call services such as Skype to engage in “cybersex,” the police said. “Unknown to the victim, these acts were recorded. Once the suspect captured sufficiently lewd video footages, he/she would stop the call instantly. Immediately, the victim would receive messages… from the suspect, threatening the victim that his lewd acts were video recorded with a video link to prove it,” the cybercrime division said in a statement. The suspect would then demand Read More …

Aug 222014
 
Batuhan: Management by remote control

INDEED, when will the US ever learn? Hardly had the ink dried on the piece we wrote last week about the subject, than news of ISIS militants killing American journalist James Foley came out. In the irony of ironies, Foley was supposedly executed—Jihadi style—by a British-born militant; a person born to a country with the closest of ties to the US. Is there anything else to blame for this, apart from the United States’ way of dealing with international crises? At the risk of some foreign policy expert already coining the phrase, the best way to describe it is the “expediency doctrine.” By this, I mean the foreign policy equivalent of “the means justifying the ends.” Arguably, the threat of ISIS would probably not have surfaced, had the US done its homework in Iraq. But it decided to cram on exam day instead. With all the about-turns it has done with Iraq, the US looks like a schizophrenic college kid who could not make up his mind—deciding to become a doctor one day, only years later realizing he really wanted to play the piano instead. Against the Iranians, the Americans supported the tyrannical regime of Saddam Hussein. Once that conflict ended, Saddam became a pariah to them, and they decide to invade the country to get him out. Once they had the man out of sight, they duly support corrupt local politicians to rule the nation. And as the people rebelled in the streets against their crooked and inept leaders, Read More …

Aug 212014
 
Solons want solar panels installed in public schools without electricity

President Benigno S. Aquino III, assisted by SACASOL’s chairman Jose Maria “Jomari” Zabaleta and president Jose Maria “Sech” Zabaleta, Jr., leads the Ceremonial Switch-on of the San Carlos Solar Energy, Inc in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental last May 15 as lawmakers mull a bill mandating the installation of solar panels in public schools in isolated places in the country without electricity to improve the learning capabilities of students in the areas. MANILA (Mabuhay) – Lawmakers have filed a bill mandating the installation of solar panels in public schools in isolated places in the country without electricity to improve the learning capabilities of students in the areas. Reps. Mariano Piamonte and Julieta Cortuna (Party-list, A TEACHER) filed House Bill No. 4715 in consonance with the policy of the State to improve the quality of education in all areas nationwide. Piamonte said in far-flung areas of the countryside where electricity is not available, public school classrooms are also without electricity. “This fact simply demonstrates that public schools in some areas could not be provided with computers as a learning support tools because of the absence of electricity,” Piamonte stressed. Piamonte said it is logical to conclude that students who came from these schools could not learn much of the basics in today’s information technology age. “Because of the absence of electricity in some areas, the students in public schools suffer from educational content gap – an important content at that,” Piamonte stressed. Cortuna said when electricity is not available, support technology Read More …

Aug 192014
 
PAL nixes meet

MANILA, Philippines – PAL Holdings Inc., the parent firm of national flag carrier Philippine Airlines Inc. (PAL), has called off its scheduled annual stockholders’ meeting scheduled next month as the buyout talks between taipan Lucio Tan and diversified conglomerate San Miguel Corp. (SMC) continues to drag. PAL Holdings assistant corporate secretary Ma. Cecilia Pesayco said in a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) that the company’s Board of Directors approved the deferment of the 2014 Annual Stockholders’ Meeting scheduled on the last working day of September. “In light of the ongoing discussions between the San Miguel Corp. Group and the Lucio Tan Group with respect to their indirect equity stakes in PAL Holdings, PAL, and Air Philippines Corporation,” Pesayco said. She added that both parties have agreed to postpone the Annual Stockholders’ Meeting, which under the By-Laws, should be held on the last working day of September. The Tan Group wants to take back full control of PAL by buying back the 49 percent stake of SMC in PAL. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 SMC president and chief operating officer Ramon S. Ang earlier confirmed that the Tan Group had already made a formal offer to buy back the conglomerate’s stake in PAL. However, Ang clarified that negotiations are still ongoing but he is hopeful that talks would be completed within the third quarter of the year. “Yes, still in talks,” Ang said in a text message. Ang is president and COO of PAL while Read More …

Aug 192014
 
Thailand gives additional P27M for ‘Yolanda’ rehab

By Aries Joseph Hegina |INQUIRER.net 7:57 pm | Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 MANILA, Philippines – Thailand donated $622,243.39 or P27.195 million to aid in the rehabilitation efforts for communities devastated by Super Typhoon “Yolanda” November last year, Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said in a statement released Monday. Residents sit outside their damaged house after powerful Typhoon Haiyan slammed into Tacloban city, Leyte province, central Philippines on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013. AP Thailand Ambassador to the Philippines Prasas Prasasvinitchai presented the check to DFA Secretary Albert F. del Rosario as additional donation. Also present in the turnover ceremony was Thelsa Biolena, the director of the Disaster Risk Reduction and Response Operations Office of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). Del Rosario thanked the Royal Thai Government and the people of Thailand for their “generous” donation, stating that it would “help the reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts in the disaster-stricken areas.” The amount was raised in a telethon in November 2013, which was organized by the office of then Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. After one hour and 45 minutes, the telethon was able to raise $2.813 million. RELATED STORIES Thai musicians organize day-long event to help ‘Yolanda’ victims Asian newspapers rushed to aid of ‘Yolanda’ victims Follow Us Other Stories: 2 Filipino students win gold, silver medals in China math tourney Ex-US president Jimmy Carter, PH activists to be honored on Ninoy Aquino Day DFA probes ‘inhumane’ treatment of repatriates DFA: Rumors PH passports being stamped ‘not valid for Libya’ Read More …

Aug 182014
 
‘She’s Dating The Gangster’ surpasses P260-M mark

Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla (MNS Photo) Actors Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo were more than thrilled when they found out that their film, “She’s Dating The Gangster,” had so far earned P260 million in ticket sales, a fact confirmed by Star Cinema head Malou N. Santos. Star Cinema held a thanksgiving party to mark the occasion, with the film’s cast and crew attending, including film director Cathy Garcia-Molina and ABS-CBN president and CEO Charo Santos-Concio. Bernardo, dubbed as the Philippines’ “Teen Queen,” had been hoping for a a P150 million gross, but she is more than happy about the “blessing.” “Dinoble-doble pa talaga ni God,” she said, going on to express her gratefulness to their fans. For his part, Padilla is thankful that he was paired with Bernardo in the film, deeming it a major reason for its success. He hopes to do more projects with Bernardo, preferably with the same production team behind “She’s Dating The Gangster.” “Marami pa tayong gagawing projects na magkasama,” he said. “Lahat iyan gagawin natin kasama ang mga taong itong nasa harap natin,” he added, referring to Star Cinema executives. The film, which premiered last July 16, earned at least P15 million in ticket sales on its first day of showing despite the onslaught of typhoon “Glenda.” Padilla and Bernardo will soon be seen via a new television series. (MNS)

Aug 172014
 
Comedian Ramon Bautista under fire over 'hipon' joke in Davao City

MANILA, Philippines – Comedian Ramon Bautista is currently in hot water after a joke he made at the recent Kadayawan Festival in Davao City on Saturday, August 16. In an event, Bautista quipped: “Tama! Ang daming hipon dito sa Davao, alright.” He then asked the crowd to chant the word “hipon.” Hipon is a Filipino slang that refers to a person with a sexy body but an unattractive face. The comedian later apologized over his remark. “I’m here in front of you to say my apologies because sinabi ko ang daming hipon dito. Oo nga, nahihiya po ako sa inyo because you welcomed me in your beautiful city. Andito po ako lagi at nag-e-enjoy po ako dito. Para masabi ko po yung mga yun na marami sa inyo ang na-offend. I’ll say my sincerest apologies, sana po matanggap niyo,” he said. Bautista added, “Andito po ako para makisaya sa Kadayawan Festival at para maging enjoyable ang gabing ito. From the bottom of my heart, sobrang nahihiya po ako sa inyong lahat. Sana mapatawad niyo po ako. Mahal ko po kayong lahat.” Entertainment ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 In a Facebook post on Sunday, August 17, Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo “Pulong” Duterte said he reprimanded Bautista over his joke. Meanwhile, former Davao City mayor Sara Duterte is calling for Bautista to be declared as a persona non grata. “Attended this Kadayawan Invasion and heard this (Ramon Bautista) guy say “hipon” ang mga babae sa Davao. Pila sa Read More …

Aug 172014
 
Filipino caregiver in Alaska shot dead by patient

Shooting suspect Paul Miller in police custody. ALASKA DISPATCH NEWS PHOTO SAN FRANCISCO, California — A 51-year-old resident of a small assisted-living home in Anchorage, Alaska called 911 Tuesday evening, August 12, to report that he had shot his caretaker, a 63-year-old Filipino man. Anchorage police found Paul Miller waiting outside of the home, at 309 E. 24th Ave, with a .380-caliber semiautomatic handgun sitting on the railing of the front porch, reported the Alaska Dispatch News. Police took Miller into custody. He was charged with first- and second-degree murder. Court documents say Miller told the 911 operator he “just shot the Filipino,” according to the Dispatch News. Inside the home, Allison Assisted Living Home, police officers found the body of 63-year-old Eduardo Escalante, who died from multiple gunshot wounds to his neck, arm and torso, said the documents filed in Anchorage District Court. Family members of Escalante said he worked at the assisted-living home with his wife. The couple moved to Anchorage from the Philippines in March. A witness said that before the shooting, Escalante was watching television in the kitchen. Miller was outside on the phone. The man said he did not see the shooting, but heard three to four shots inside the house. Miller made his first court appearance August 13 at the Anchorage Correctional Complex. For each murder charge, Miller faces up to 99 years in jail and a fine of up to $500,000. Miller has a lengthy criminal record in Alaska. Between 1982 and 1991, he was convicted of assault at least five times, as well Read More …

Aug 162014
 
Up and away: Dream a wish come true for ailing teener

NO TURBULENCE For a 45-minute “flight” from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, Jake Adonis Sebial sits at the cockpit of an Airbus flight simulator with veteran AirAsia pilot Lee Seong Thiang. PHOTO COURTESY OF AIRASIA The “Big C” must be the most serious disturbance in Cebuano teenager Jake Adonis Sebial’s turbulent life. The same disease, however, paved the way for the fulfillment of his dream of becoming a pilot, even for just 45 minutes of his revitalized life. Last Wednesday afternoon, Jake experienced how it feels to fly a plane, through no less than a state-of-the-art Airbus A320 flight simulator at Asian Aviation Center of Excellence in Sepang, Malaysia, thanks to the generosity of AirAsia—the largest Asian low-cost carrier—as well as the help of nonprofit Make-A-Wish Foundation Philippines. Jake has always dreamed of occupying the pilot’s seat, his aunt Rubi told reporters. At one point, she related, the 18-year-old thought the dream would no longer materialize. In August last year, Jake was hospitalized after showing symptoms of dengue fever. A month later, however, he was diagnosed with acute myeloblastic leukemia (AML), a cancer affecting the blood and bone marrow. According to medical experts, AML progresses quickly and can lead to death within weeks or months if not immediately treated. But the disease did not stop Jake nor his family in Danao City from fighting for the young man’s life. That was not the first time Jake hung on for dear life. At the age of 7, he was electrocuted and lost Read More …