Jun 012014
 
Phl attracting more foreign brands

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines is expected to attract more foreign brands—from the low-end to luxury segments—as global retailers are starting to notice the vastly improved purchasing power of Filipinos, Philippine Retailers Association (PRA) chairman Emeritus Samie Lim said. In his presentation at the recently concluded 4th Annual World Retail Congress Asia Pacific in Singapore, Lim cited close to 50 global brands that entered the Philippines in the last two years. Included are American casual and European high-street fashion items, as well as luxury brands like Bentley and Rolls Royce. “This is a clear indication that people now have more disposable income. For food, we literally have hundreds of franchises that came in. Luxury goods also continued to perform at robust levels. This was a direct result of the improvement in consumer purchasing power. For many years, luxury brands seem to ignore the Philippine market. But to those who gambled, it was all worth the wait,” Lim told an audience consist of representatives from global firms and international retail experts. Among those who also presented at the World Retail Congress are Peter Lau, chairman and CEO of Giordano; Karen Eidsvik Moody, Asia regional director of Subway; Richard Clarke, president for Retail of Fujitsu; Gordon Campbell, CEO of SPAR International; Dr. Ira Kalish, Deloitte chief global economist; John Bolodian, Asia Pacific marketing director of Microsoft; and Harvey  Bierman, vice president of Global e-Commerce of Crocs. Lim told the audience that this is the best time to enter the Philippine market. “The Read More …

Jun 012014
 
China hits back at US, Japan for ‘provocative’ remarks

China’s Deputy Chief, General Staff Department, People’s Liberation Army of China, Wang Guangzhong, delivers his speech on “Major Power Perspectives on Peace and Security in the Asia-Pacific” on Sunday, June 1, 2014, in Singapore during the Asia Security Summit, known as the Shangri-La Dialogue. AP SINGAPORE—China strongly denounced Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and United States Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel Sunday for “provocative” remarks accusing Beijing of destabilizing actions in contested regional waters. Lieutenant General Wang Guanzhong, deputy chief of the general staff of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA), told an Asian security forum in Singapore that the comments had been “unacceptable”. Abe opened the Shangri-La Dialogue on Friday by urging countries to respect the rule of law — an apparent reference to perceived Chinese aggression over disputed islets in the South and East China seas. Hagel followed on Saturday by warning China against “destabilizing actions” in the South China Sea and listed a number of alleged infractions, including against the Philippines and Vietnam. “The Chinese delegation… have this feeling that the speeches of Mr. Abe and Mr. Hagel are a provocative action against China,” said Wang, dressed in full military regalia. He cast aside his prepared speech and said he needed to respond to the remarks, accusing Abe and Hagel of “coordinating” with each other to attack China at the conference. “This is simply unimaginable,” said Wang, the highest ranking military official in the Chinese delegation, adding that the speeches were “unacceptable and not in the spirit of this Shangri-La Dialogue”. “The Read More …

May 312014
 
PAL cancels Darwin flight after eruption

By Jerome AningPhilippine Daily Inquirer 11:26 am | Sunday, June 1st, 2014 FILE PHOTO MANILA, Philippines—A Philippine Airlines flight to Darwin, Australia, was cancelled Saturday night after the airport there was shut down due to the ash cloud coming from Indonesia’s Mt. Sangeang Api, which erupted on Friday. Cancelled was PAL flight PR-221 to Darwin, Northern Territory, which was supposed to leave at 10 p.m. and arrive at 4 a.m. Darwin time.  The second leg of the flight to Brisbane International Airport was also cancelled. The Smartraveller website run by Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said the ash plume had drifted over parts of northern Australia and had “the potential to cause disruption to commercial aviation in Indonesia and Australia in the coming days.” Air travellers were advised to consult their airlines and the Australian meteorology bureau’s website for flight disruption information. Australian media quoted Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss as saying that depending on wind and weather conditions, the ash might also affect flights to and from other airports such as Brisbane. Mt. Sangeang Api, located on Sangeang island in Indonesia’s Lesser Sunda Islands, erupted at around 4 p.m. on Friday, local time. RELATED STORIES     PAL launches new routes to Australia, China, Middle East PAL launches more flights in Australia   PAL starts flying to new routes in Australia Follow Us Other Stories: Navy bases for defense of West Philippine Sea suffer lack of funds Hong Kong textbook depicts Filipinos as ‘domestic helpers’ Japan says Read More …

May 312014
 
Battling religious discrimination against same-sex couples

Not too long ago, I experienced the impact of the decision of the US  Supreme Court in the case of the United States v. Windsor.  While going over my snail mail, I found a handwritten envelope from a certain Eddie claiming to be a member of a church group in Glendale, California.  I browsed through a five-page handwritten letter and realized it was not an inquiry letter the likes of which I typically receive, but hate mail—five pages of venomous ramblings, barely coherent, condemning me for being a supporter of same-sex marriages. The letter writer said, “I consider you evil Ms Tancinco because you support and help same-sex marriages, in which God Yahweh don’t accept same-sex marriages and homosexual is a sin.”  In addition to judging me as evil, the letter sender declared that “God Yahweh can give you early death” and will “punish you with your future death.” Should I take this seriously? Maybe not. I respect each person’s right to speak his mind and espouse his own particular set of beliefs. The letter sender may just be expressing his opinion. But after the shooting in Isla Vista, Santa Barbara, such expressions of disgust and malevolence may be accompanied by the infliction of physical harm and violence. It is easy to say that the letter should be ignored. Being human, however, it is difficult not to take offense at the slanderous insinuations and judgments made for being an advocate of same-sex couples’ rights. Everyday ordeal I realize, of course, Read More …

May 312014
 
Legal setback

The boardroom battle at seafood processing giant Alliance Select Foods International Inc., pitting the majority shareholders against two Singaporeans minority shareholders, could soon be over with the latter recently suffering a  legal setback. The Regional Trial Court of Pasig recently dismissed the petition of Hedy Chua and Albert Hong Hin Kay for the issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) against the entry of Strong Oak Inc. in Alliance, saying that this did not appear to be of “extreme urgency.” The court ruling is a victory for the majority stockholders of Alliance, led by chairman George E. Sycip and president and CEO Jonathan Y. Dee. The Singaporeans were protesting a board resolution passed by Alliance to allow Strong Oak, Inc. to acquire 28.7 percent of the company’s shares through a private placement worth around P563.7 million. The investment involves the issuance of 430,286,226 shares to Strong Oak for P1.31 per share. The legal setback for the Singaporeans did not surprise observers, as the latest lawsuit, like two others the Singaporean had filed earlier to compel management to give them unprecedented access to company records, is deemed to be based on flimsy grounds. The two Singaporeans have been raising hell within the company. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 Chua and Hong have accused the Filipino majority shareholders of engaging in self-dealing. The two Singaporeans have also insisted that their personal auditor, who did nothing for the company but limited his work for the Singaporeans only, be compensated SGD20,000 Read More …

May 312014
 
Palace: COA won't compromise ‘Napolist’ for head's SC bid

Malacañang on Saturday expressed confidence the Commission on Audit will not compromise fairness in validating the so-called “Napo-list” even if its head Grace Pulido-Tan is among the candidates for Supreme Court justice. Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma Jr. said that while Tan is a presidential appointee and wants to be a SC justice, the COA is independent of the Executive Department. “Pansinin natin na ang tinutukoy na ahensya, ang COA, ay isang independent constitutional body ng ating pamahalaan. Ganyan ang nature ng COA, ayon sa mga humubog ng Saligang Batas. Kailangan independent ito mula sa ehekutibo,” Coloma said on government-run dzRB radio. “Dapat lang siguro kilalanin ang institutional integrity ng COA na hindi nababahiran dahil sa pagkakaroon ng appointing power ng pangulo,” he added. He also said it would not be fair to conclude that Pulido-Tan would be less than objective in scrutinizing the “Napo-list” in exchange for a shot at being the replacement of retired SC Justice Roberto Abad. Besides, he said it is the independent Judicial and Bar Council that would decide if Pulido-Tan is deserving of being included in the short list to be submitted to President Benigno Aquino III. Earlier, Pulido-Tan said the COA has started an investigation into the claims of the supposed mastermind of the alleged pork barrel and Malampaya fund scams Janet Napoles in her affidavit. Napoles had linked several incumbent and former lawmakers – as well as now Budget Secretary Florencio Abad – to the scam in her affidavit submitted Read More …

May 302014
 
Hagel: China territorial claims destabilize region

U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel walks toward the podium before speaking at opening plenary meeting at the 13th Asia Security Summit in Singapore, Saturday, May 31, 2014. Defense Secretary Hagel warned the international security conference Saturday that the U.S. “will not look the other way” when nations such as China try to restrict navigation or ignore international rules and standards. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, Pool) SINGAPORE — Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warned an international security conference Saturday that the U.S. “will not look the other way” when nations such as China try to restrict navigation or ignore international rules and standards. China’s territorial claims in the South China Sea are destabilizing the region, and its failure to resolve disputes with other nations threatens East Asia’s long-term progress, Hagel said. For the second year in a row, Hagel used the podium at the Shangri-La conference to call out China for cyberspying against the U.S. While this has been a persistent complaint by the U.S., his remark came less than two weeks after the U.S. charged five Chinese military officers with hacking into American companies to steal trade secrets. The Chinese, in response, suspended participation in a U.S.-China Cyber Working Group, and released a report that said the U.S. is conducting unscrupulous cyber espionage and that China is a major target. Noting the suspension, Hagel in his speech said the U.S. will continue to raise cyber issues with the Chinese, “because dialogue is essential for reducing the risk of miscalculation and escalation in cyberspace.” In a string of remarks aimed directly at China, Hagel Read More …

May 302014
 
OFW deployment to Libya totally banned

By Tina G. SantosPhilippine Daily Inquirer 7:22 am | Saturday, May 31st, 2014 Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldo. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (Poea) on Friday imposed a total ban on the deployment of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to Libya amid the continued unrest there. The ban was imposed on the recommendation of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), which raised the crisis alert level status for Libya from Level 2 (Restriction Phase) to Level 3 (Voluntary Repatriation Phase) in view of the worsening security situation in that country. Level 3, which is the second highest in the four-tier emergency warning system for OFWs, requires Filipino nationals in Libya to leave voluntarily as soon as possible, with the Philippine government spending for the cost of the repatriation. “We have received a communication from the DFA secretary on the new crisis alert level in Libya. Thus, the Poea governing board decided to impose a total ban on the processing and deployment of all OFWs bound for that country,” said Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz in a statement. She said there was no need yet to send a Department of Labor and Employment augmentation team to Libya, but that the agency is ready to send one to assist the Philippine Overseas Labor Office if necessary. RELATED STORY Alert level 3 raised for Filipinos in Libya Follow Us Other Stories: SC urged to rule on exploration agreement with China, Vietnam Chinese, Filipino kidnapped in Malaysia rescued Fil-Am teen finishes tied for Read More …

May 302014
 
TV’s new heartthrob doctor leads The Night Shift

Irish actor Eoin Macken (with co-star Jill Flint, left) plays army doctor TC Callahan in the new US medical drama series, which premieres tomorrow, June 1 at 9:50 p.m. on beTV. MANILA, Philippines – Medical dramas have a long and solid history with television audiences. Much has been said and written about their universal appeal springing from yes, the drama, action and suspense surrounding situations wherein lives are on the line. Adding gloss and excitement to medical dramas is the presence of the resident heartthrob TV doctor. From E.R.’s George Clooney to Grey Anatomy’s Patrick Dempsey (a.k.a. McDreamy), it’s a list that keeps on growing (and continues to send blood pressures rising). Now, there’s a new must-watch doctor in town and his name is Dr. TC Callahan, played by Irish actor Eoin Macken, from the brand-new US medical drama The Night Shift, which premieres on Philippine TV via beTV come June 1 at 9:50 p.m. Eoin (pronounced as Owin) got his career start as a model who became the face of some top clothing brand campaigns, but has since evolved to become not only as an actor but also as a writer and director. Prior to The Night Shift, Eoin, who recently moved to the States after being based in London for the last couple of years, was notable as Sir Gwaine on the BBC One series Merlin, and was part of the movies Centurion, Through the Night, Siren, etc. He also appeared on Showtime’s The Tudors and other Irish Read More …

May 302014
 
Binay advises Filipinos in conflict-stricken Libya to leave

By Matikas SantosINQUIRER.net 5:38 pm | Friday, May 30th, 2014 MANILA, Philippines – Filipinos still in Libya despite the worsening security situation have been urged to leave by Vice President Jejomar Binay Friday. “Once again I am calling [on] our countrymen in Libya to refrain from taking chances and come back to the Philippines,” Binay, the presidential adviser on overseas Filipino workers (OFW) concerns, said in a statement. “The situation is dangerous and the Philippine Embassy in Libya is ready to assist in the repatriation so they can come back,” he said. The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) previously raised crisis alert level 3 in Libya which means that voluntary repatriation will be implemented. Libya’s security situation worsened after a senior military official attacked armed militias without authorization from the government. The current violence is the worse in the country since a civil war ended in 2011 with the ouster and death of long-time dictator Moammar Gadhafi. “Under crisis alert level 3, the estimated 13,122 Filipinos are encouraged to leave Libya voluntarily as soon as possible,” Binay said. Filipinos in Libya were advised to contact the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli to coordinate their repatriation and the government will be shouldering the repatriation cost. The Philippine Embassy in Libya is in KM 7 Gargaresh Road, Abu Nawas, Tripoli. Its hotline number is (+218) 918244208, telephone number (+218-21) 483-3966, and official e-mail addresses: tripoli.pe@gmail.com; tripoli.pe@dfa.gov.ph. RELATED STORIES Alert level 3 raised for Filipinos in Libya OFWs warned as DFA raises alert level Follow Us Other Stories: Read More …