MANILA, Philippines – PNOC-Exploration Corp. and its partners in Service Contract 63 in Southwest Palawan will commence drilling of the Baragatan oil well on May 14, the exploration arm of Philippine National Oil Co. (PNOC) said yesterday. The drilling marks the first offshore exploration well to be drilled in the country this year, PNOC-EC president Pedro A. Aquino Jr. said. “PNOC is steadfast and committed to accelerate exploration in the country to secure the Philippines’ energy requirements. We are hopeful that Baragatan 1 will prove to be a successful discovery,” Aquino said. For the drilling, the consortium will use the Naga 5 rig, which is owned and operated by United Motor Works of Malaysia. It is a newly fabricated jack-up rig capable of fully evaluating the hydrocarbon potential of the large Baragatan prospect, PNOC-EC said. Nido Petroleum Philippines Pty. Ltd. will act as drilling operator of the well on behalf of the consortium. The rig sailed from Singapore on May 2 and will arrive at the site in 10 days. The drilling operations are expected to last around 20 days, PNOC-EC also said. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 Partners in the SC 63 oil and gas area are PNOC-EC, Nido Petroleum Philippines Pty. Ltd. and Dragon Oil Plc. The Department of Energy (DOE) has awarded SC 63, also known as East Sabina, to PNOC-EC (50 percent) and Nido Petroleum Philippines Pty. Ltd. (50 percent) in 2006, with PNOC-EC as operator. Last month, the DOE approved the Read More …
MANILA, Philippines – Tomorrow at 9 a.m. on GMA News TV’s Gandang Ricky Reyes Todo Na Toh (GRR TNT), a special tribute to mothers will be presented. Host Ricky Reyes interviews a single mom who worked as a beautician to raise her eight children and send them to school. The woman’s sacrifice paid off and she now owns a beauty salon. “I thank God for giving me eight intelligent, wonderful children,”says Mommy Lits with tears in her eyes. A letter sender’s wish for her mother is granted. A makeover magic is performed by Ricky and presto! Nanay is more than happy to see a new her in the mirror after being dolled up and pampered ready to celebrate a Mother’s Day dinner with her offsprings. “I felt I’m as beautiful as Ganda Ng Lolah endorser… my favorite actress Gloria Romero,” the woman exclaims. Ricky’s Mama Ada (Doña Amada Zabarte) met her Maker November last year and since then the host-producer never stopped grieving. “She’s my inspiration, the wind beneath my wings and No. 1 fan. I tried everything to prolong her life but only God knows when one has to join Him in heaven,” Ricky says. A short feature on Mama Ada and her last years with her family will be aired on GRR TNT. “It is not too late. Hug and kiss your mother and whisper in her ears — Nanay mahal kita,” adds Reyes.
MANILA, Philippines – Toyota Motor Philippines Foundation (TMPF) recently held its “Quest for the Best” Quiz Bee in its adopted school, Pulong Sta. Cruz Elementary School (PSCES), in Santa Rosa City, Laguna. The annual competition aims to sharpen the students’ aptitude in Math, Science, English, Hekasi, and Current Affairs. The activity targeted student participants from Grades 3 to 6. Each of the 12 winners received a cash prize, trophy, certificate of appreciation, and an opportunity to tour some of Metro Manila’s educational landmarks. Toyota’s “Quest for the Best” is one of the many programs implemented to help the school in promoting academic excellence. Toyota continues to support PSCES as its adopted school by helping in the development of students and teachers alike, as well as in the construction and repair of school facilities. Ever since it started manufacturing and sales in the Philippines, Toyota has been providing assistance to the communities in areas where it operates. In photo are Grade 4 winners (from third left) 2nd runner-up Cyryll Angel Franada, 1st runner-up Princess Shirley Icawat, and championGemma Nicole Marcial, with (from left) PSCES principal Nelia Tabuyo, PSCES Adopt-A-School coordinator Nancy Luzon, Grade 4 teacher coordinator Genie Sarmiento, and TMPF Adopt-A-School coordinator Ringo Flores.
MANILA, Philippines – The Audi A3, the premium compact bestseller from the brand with the four rings, is the 2014 World Car of the Year. This is the second overall title for Audi in the ten year history of the World Car of the Year Awards as the AudiA6 won the inaugural overall title in 2005. The third generation of the Audi A3 is now officially confirmed as a world beater. It overcame the challenge from 23 other cars to win the prestigious World Car of the Year title in 2014. The A3 was voted as the winner by an international jury panel comprising 69 top-level automotive journalists from 22 countries around the world. Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG, said: “The Audi A6 was the first ever winner of this award and we are delighted that the Audi A3 has repeated that achievement by being voted 2014 World Car of the Year. The Audi A3 showcases Audi’s technical competence in all aspects of car making, not least in the areas of lightweight technology, drivetrain, mobile infotainment and driver assistance systems. This major award win is an achievement that the whole company can celebrate.” The new Audi A3 is available as a 3 door, Sportback, Cabriolet and Sedan. It is powered by a range of TFSI gasoline and TDI diesel engines. The A3 Sportback can also be ordered as a g-tron, which can be operated using e-gas generated by Audi, natural gas, or gasoline–when powered Read More …

Club Foundation Chair Teddy Alvarez, Public Relations Chair Tessie Lightholder, Community and Youth Service Chair Rick Jiao, Mrs. Lynn Fruto, Michael, Assistant Governor for District 5300 Rene Fruto, Secretary Ginny Mondonedo, Secretary-Elect Dolly Dalusong, Treasurer Tara Villavicencio, guest Patsy Wilson, and Theresa Saguinsin. Photo: Lydia V. Solis Figure skating Olympian Michael Christian Martinez receives a certificate of appreciation and gift check from the Rotary Club of Chino Hills before he left for the Philippines.
Longtime allies the Philippines and the United States start annual, large-scale military exercises on Monday after President Barack Obama vowed “ironclad” backing for Manila as a territorial dispute with China simmers. The two-week Balikatan or “shoulder-to-shoulder” drills involving 5,500 American and Filipino soldiers begin just days after Obama assured Manila his government was committed to a 1951 mutual defence treaty. The allies last week bolstered their ties with a new defence agreement signed ahead of a visit by Obama giving American forces greater access to Philippine bases — part of a US rebalancing of military power towards rising Asia. “What President Obama said was a reaffirmation of our treaty,” Philippine military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Ramon Zagala said. “It is very important to note that this is really relevant right now that we have a present threat,” he added, referring to an increasingly tense row with China over reefs and outcrops in the South China Sea, which Manila calls the West Philippine Sea. Obama’s four-nation Asian tour was dominated by worsening maritime tensions between Beijing and Washington’s allies in the region, which have triggered fears of military conflict. China claims nearly all of the South China Sea, which is believed to contain huge deposits of oil and gas, even waters and islands or reefs close to its neighbours. The Philippines, which has one of the weakest militaries in the region, has repeatedly called on the United States for help as China has increased military and diplomatic pressure to take control of Read More …

Associated Press 4:28 am | Sunday, May 4th, 2014 AP FILE PHOTO DETROIT—General Motors is recalling 57,131 SUVs because the fuel gauges may show inaccurate readings. The recall involves the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia from the 2014 model year. All of the affected SUVs were built between March 26 and Aug. 15 of 2013. GM says the engine control module software may cause the fuel gauge to read inaccurately. If that happens, the vehicle might run out of fuel and stall without warning. The company doesn’t know of any crashes or injuries related to the problem. GM says dealers will reprogram the software for free, starting immediately. The recall includes 3,275 SUVs exported to various countries, in addition to those sold in Canada and Mexico. The recall was posted Saturday on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Web site. Follow Us Other Stories: US stocks finish week with gains despite Ukraine fears US stocks finish mixed ahead of jobs report US terminates review of PH labor rights situation Dow closes at all-time high after US Fed decision Recent Stories: Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines. Tags: General Motors , Motoring , recall , US Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer’s day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer’s Read More …
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, antibiotic resistance has been called one of the world’s most pressing public health problem and has become the office’s top concern. Almost every type of bacteria has become stronger and less responsive to antibiotic treatment when it is really needed. Repeated and improper use of antibiotics is the primary cause of the increase in drug-resistant bacteria. How do bacteria become resistant to antibiotics? CDC explains that antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria change in some way that reduces or eliminates the effectiveness of drugs, chemicals, or other agents designed to cure or prevent infections. The bacteria survive and continue to multiply causing more harm. Bacteria can do this through several mechanisms. Some bacteria develop the ability to neutralize the antibiotic before it can do harm, others can rapidly pump the antibiotic out, and still others can change the antibiotic attack site so it cannot affect the function of the bacteria. We are constantly being advised and reminded to use antibiotics only when prescribed by a physician, and not to use it to fight viral infection like the common cold or flu because antibiotics kill bacteria, not viruses. But the problem may be much bigger than antibiotice resistance. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), antimicrobial resistance (AMR) threatens the effective prevention and treatment of an ever-increasing range of infections caused by bacteria, parasites, viruses and fungi, and is an increasingly serious threat to global public health that requires action across all government Read More …
Manila,Philippines — Police on patrol in the streets of Quezon City got an earful yesterday from their district director, who was incensed by those using their nighttime rounds as a chance to prey on couples kissing and petting in their cars. Chief Superintendent Richard Albano, Quezon City Police District (QCPD) director, said police in his turf are now banned from making the rounds only to arrest couples in cars. Albano was particularly peeved at the incident involving three policemen from the QCPD Station 11 in Galas who allegedly extorted P20,000 from a couple they caught “making out” inside their car parked on 8th Street, Barangay New Manila, Quezon City last Tuesday night. Two of the policemen – Police Officers 1 (PO1) Ronald Que Englis, 39, married, of Tondo, Manila, and Roland Roman Mansibang, 28, single, of Barangay Tatalon, Quezon City – have been arrested. They are now under “restrictive custody” at the QCPD headquarters in Camp Karingal, said Albano. The third police-suspect, PO1 Christopher Lucky dela Pena, has not showed up since the supposed shakedown. The couple alleged that the three threatened to charge them with public scandal if they did not come up with a “P20,000 fine.” Albano gave a strong message yesterday to police patrollers: “The priority of the police is to fight criminality and not make the rounds of the city to catch couples having an intimate moment inside their parked vehicle.”
This April 1994 photo from the Seattle Police Department shows a wallet containing Kurt Cobain’s Washington state driver’s license, found at the scene of his suicide, in Seattle.(AP Photo/Seattle Police Department) SEATTLE — A handwritten note police discovered in Kurt Cobain’s wallet after his suicide disparages Courtney Love, the late Nirvana front man’s wife. CBS News reported that the note was taken from Cobain’s wallet when police arrived at his home on April 8, 1994, after Cobain fatally shot himself. The note was never made public. CBS obtained it from the Seattle Police via a public information request. The network reports that the undated note, apparently written by Cobain on stationery from San Francisco’s Phoenix Hotel, is written like a mock wedding vow. It references Love as Cobain’s “lawful shredded wife” who would be “siphoning” his money for drugs. Cobain’s body was discovered in Seattle on April 8, 1994. An investigation determined that days earlier Cobain had gone into the greenhouse of his home and taken a massive dose of heroin. He then shot himself with a 20-gauge shotgun. Earlier this year, in advance of the 20th anniversary of Cobain’s suicide, a Seattle detective reviewed the case files, including evidence photos and statements. He found no new information to change the police conclusion that Cobain took his own life. Cobain, who was 27 when he died, sold millions of albums with Nirvana and helped popularize the Pacific Northwest’s heavy, muddy “grunge” rock. Entertainment ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: Read More …