Dec 032014
 
DOJ won’t replace prosecutor in Laude case

The government prosecutor handling the preliminary investigation on the killing of slain transgender woman Jeffrey “Jennifer” Laude will remain in the case. In a text message Wednesday, Prosecutor General Claro Arellano said there is “no ground for [the] inhibition” of state prosecutor Emily de los Santos, despite a request from the Laude camp. “No ground for inhibition. Bias [is a] mere allegation,” said Arellano. Lawyer Harry Roque Jr, legal counsel for the Laude family, was earlier quoted in reports as saying that they would seek the inhibition of De los Santos before the Department of Justice for allegedly taking orders from the United States government. Roque claimed De los Santos has been hostile to the Laude family since the start of the preliminary investigation in Olongapo City. Detained suspect, US Marine Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton, who is facing a murder complaint for the killing of 26-year-old transgender woman, was earlier transferred from the US Navy ship USS Peleliu docked in Subic to Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City. The US Embassy in Manila, however, had said Pemberton continued to be under US custody despite him being detained in a Philippine facility. —Mark Merueñas/KBK, GMA News

Dec 032014
 
11 more bodies recovered near sunken South Korean ship

SEOUL, South Korea— Fishermen recovered 11 more bodies from the western Bering Sea Wednesday near where a South Korean fishing ship sank earlier this week. The bodies appear to be from the ship lost Monday in the waters near Russia, according to an official from the foreign ministry who didn’t want to be named citing office rules. One fisherman’s body was recovered Monday and seven fishermen were rescued. More than 50 went missing when the ship sank on Monday. The bodies were found by fishing vessels searching the debris of the sunken Oryong 501, said the ministry official. Furious relatives have blamed the company and the ship’s captain for not doing enough to save their family members. Rough seas and bad weather mean there is little hope that anyone will be found alive. Coast guard helicopters from Russia and the United States and at least five fishing ships were searching for the missing, according to an official from Seoul’s foreign ministry, who didn’t want to be named citing office rules. The US rescue ship Munro should arrive Thursday to help the search effort. The crew included 35 Indonesians, 13 Filipinos, 11 South Koreans and one Russian inspector, according to the South Korean government. It’s believed the ship began to list after stormy weather caused seawater to flood its storage areas, according to officials from the government and the company that owns the ship. The ship left South Korea on July 10 to catch pollock, a winter delicacy in South Korea, Read More …

Dec 022014
 
Pope Francis Center for Poor almost done

Pope Francis. AP FILE PHOTO TACLOBAN CITY, Philippines—The facility named after Pope Francis and located within the eight-hectare Archbishop’s Residence in Palo town, Leyte province, is almost complete and ready for his visit next month. “It is intended for the orphans and elderly,” and ideally for those who lost their loved ones during the onslaught of Supertyphoon “Yolanda” in the province, said Fr. Amadeo Alvero, communications director of the Archdiocese of Palo. The Pontiff himself will bless the Pope Francis Center for the Poor when he goes to Palo, the seat of Catholicism in Eastern Visayas, on Jan. 17. Funds for the construction of the P60-million facility came from the Cor Unum, considered the Caritas of the Vatican, Alvero said. 1,414.60 sq m The center has five structures—an administrative building, clinic, dining hall and separate sleeping quarters for elderly people and orphans—with a combined floor area of 1,414.60 square meters. The two quarters can accommodate 40 persons each. Even before the Pope’s “apostolic journey” to Leyte was announced, Archbishop John Du was already mulling over the idea of constructing an orphanage center for both the young and elderly people in the archdiocese, Alvero said. Robert Cardinal Sarah, president of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum which is the dicastery of the Holy See responsible for charity and humanitarian assistance, led the groundbreaking ceremony for the center during his visit to Palo on Jan. 28 this year. It was Sarah himself who announced the Pope’s interest in visiting Palo and Tacloban, considered Read More …

Dec 022014
 
Ford PH hosts celebration event for Ford Alabang opening

Executives from Ford Motor Company, Ford Group Philippines, and Ford Alabang pose for a souvenir shot MANILA, Philippines – Ford Philippines celebrates recently the continued expansion of its nationwide dealer network with a gala event to mark the opening of Ford Alabang, the biggest Ford dealership in the country. The celebration was attended by a number of Ford Motor Company executives visting the Philippines, including Elena Ford, Ford Motor Company VP-Global Dealer and Consumer Experience; Dave Schoch, president, Asia Pacific; Brett Wheatley, VP-Marketing and Sales, Asia Pacific; and Matt Bradley, president, ASEAN. They joined Kay Hart, managing director, Ford Philippines, and Ford Alabang management team in a ribbon-cutting ceremony to mark the official opening of the new mega-dealership, which is owned by Dearborn Motors, Inc. “This new Ford Alabang facility, like all Ford dealerships worldwide, features a ‘customer first’ design and represents our ongoing commitment to provide a truly unmatched customer experience,” said Elena Ford. “It’s an honor to join our dealer partners on such an exciting day for Ford in the Philippines.”  Ford Alabang is also one of the largest Ford dealerships across the ASEAN region. Strategically located along the Alabang-Zapote Road, the mega-dealership is a five-floor facility covering a floor area of nearly 13,000sqm.  Ford Alabang boasts a two-floor, 23-vehicle showroom and a four-floor, 80-bay service center.   Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 The facility is built according to Ford’s global Brand@Retail II design concept that provides each and every Ford showroom and the service Read More …

Dec 022014
 
DNA findings bolster hate crime theory – Roque

Members of ProGay and women’s rights group Gabriela rally in front of the Supreme Court in Manila on Tuesday, November 25, to denounce the alleged government inaction on violence against women. The rally was held just as the high court was on its second day of oral arguments on the constitutionality of the PHL-US Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay)  — Lawyer Harry Roque said the findings of authorities on the condoms found in the room where transgender Jennifer Laude was killed only bolsters the theory that the killing is a hate crime. Roque said the findings only shows that Laude and suspect Joseph Scott Pemberton did not have sex. “They did not have sex. [Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton] must have found out [Laude] is not a biological woman. It must have been the reason why he [allegedly] killed Jennifer,” he said. He said the crime is no longer a simple crime but one that is laced with hate. Last week, a lawyer of the Laude family revealed that the DNA samples taken by authorities in the two condoms found inside the room where Laude was killed did not match hers nor that of Pemberton. Roque noted, however, that this is on the assumption that DNA samples were indeed taken from the suspect himself. “If you were in my shoes, would you accept those results given that your witness was not present when this person claiming to be Pemberton gave his DNA samples,” he asked. Until Read More …

Dec 012014
 
DACA — Confessions of a formerly undocumented youth

Anthony Ng, 25, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) beneficiary. NAM PHOTO LOS ANGELES — A week after President Obama’s executive action to protect millions of immigrants from deportation, one young man who is already benefiting from Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) says he hopes Filipinos will take advantage of the relief when it becomes available, so that they will be able to work under fair labor conditions and be protected from deportation. Filipinos have the largest undocumented population among Asians, yet a very low percentage has applied for DACA protection, according to the Migration Policy Institute (MPI). There are approximately 143,000 undocumented Filipinos in California, according to the Asian Americans Advancing Justice Los Angeles (AAAJ-LA). Karin Wang, Vice President of Programs & Communications of AAAJ- LA said, “As with any statistics on undocumented immigrants, these are best estimates from our demographic researchers, but there will be variation in estimates by different researchers because there is no precise way to know how many undocumented Filipinos (or any group) are presently in California or the US.” Wang said the number makes Filipinos the largest population of undocumented Asian immigrants in the state. Despite this, only 4,000, or 26 percent, of eligible Filipino youths have submitted their applications for DACA. Anthony Ng, 25, came to the United States as a tourist when he was 12 to join his parents and siblings to find better opportunities in this country. Before qualifying for protection under DACA, Anthony lived a secret life as an Read More …

Dec 012014
 
Knee arthritis: A fresh look at treatment options

When a disaster strikes, it pays to be knowledgeable about what to do. Makati Medical Center gives tips on what we can do to possibly minimize damage and injury to person and property. Being prepared makes you more focused to deal with the situation at hand.   There is a 50-50 chance that, at some point in your life, you’ll develop osteoarthritis (OA).  Not great odds, considering how much this joint condition can be disabling to you — affecting ambulation and many activities of daily living. The pain and limited mobility in OA occur as the cartilage that cushions the space between bones wears away with age and overuse.  Left bare of their padding, bones rub painfully against each other — particularly in the hands, spine, knees, and hips. There are many options for managing the symptoms of knee OA, such as pain, swelling, and stiffness.  But which options truly work?  The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) last year updated its clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of knee OA after reviewing the scientific literature and assessing the benefits and harms of care options.  Here’s a look at what they found. Diet and exercise When you have aching knees, getting up to exercise may be the last thing on your mind.  But no therapy has a bigger, more consistent payoff than exercise, according to the analysis of the evidence-based literature.  And you don’t necessarily need fancy equipment or gym membership.  One study found that people with OA in one Read More …

Dec 012014
 
Del Monte Pacific forges jv with 2 foreign firms

MANILA, Philippines – Food processing giant Del Monte Pacific Ltd. (DMPL) is partnering with two foreign firms to put up a facility equipped with the technology to further prolong shelf life of fruits and vegetables. In a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange, DMPL said it has entered into a joint venture with Spain-based Nice Fruit SL and Ferville Ltd to establish a facility in the Philippines that will utilize Nice Fruit’s patented technology. DMPL said the technology, called Nice Frozen Dry, will allow fruits, vegetables and produce “to be picked at its optimal ripeness and frozen for up to three years while preserving its nutrients, structure, original properties and organoleptic characteristics.” Nice Fruit will have the majority stake in the joint venture with 51 percent, while DMPL and Ferville will have 35 percent and 14 percent ownership, respectively. “It is envisaged that the joint venture will process, market and sell the Nice Fruit frozen products to various countries in the world,” DMPL said. Nice Fruit is a company that operates worldwide and is engaged in the production and distribution of fruits and vegetables. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 With the introduction of the Nice Frozen Dry technology, Nice Fruit intends to improve food consumption habits as well as food stock management. DMPL, meanwhile, completed the acquisition of US-based Del Monte Foods Inc. (DMFI) in February this year for nearly $1.7 billion, jumpstarting the transformation of the former into a global branded food and beverage firm. Read More …

Dec 012014
 
Isabelle Daza is now a Kapamilya

Isabelle Daza (MNS photo) Actress-host Isabelle Daza is now officially a Kapamilya star. Daza signed a contract with ABS-CBN and was welcomed by the network’s executives led by president and CEO Charo Santos-Concio. “Napaka-excited ako and overwhelmed with this warm welcome. Coming here, everybody has been welcoming me at kinukuwento ko sa kanila na even the waiter was telling me ‘Ma’am welcome to the Kapamilya.’ Parang proud na proud siya. It makes me so honored to be part of this family,” she said. Asked why she decided to change networks, Daza replied: “I wanted a new challenge in my life and I want to try something that I haven’t done. I want to to expand my horizons and take this journey as an actress naman.” The actress-host admitted it was a hard decision for her to leave the noontime show “Eat Bulaga.” “Nung Saturday last day ko na. It was very emotional lalo na kay Ryzza (Mae Dizon) because she’s my little student but they were all very supportive and they all wished me luck and they are excited also to see what I have in store here sa ABS-CBN,” she said. Daza said she signed an exclusive contract with ABS-CBN for both TV and movies. “Bongga naman siya, ‘yun muna,” she said. In the interview, Daza revealed that her first project in her new home is the upcoming series “Nathaniel,” with Gerald Anderson as her leading man. “Yes, kasama ako sa cast ng ‘Nathaniel.’ I will be working with Read More …

Dec 012014
 
PSEi gains for 2nd straight session, to retest 7,300

popular . The world according to Facebook Bad law school recitation in SC Filipinos catch Sharapova fever at IPTL Blind weddings in new reality series De Lima: No way adultery can be trending on Web Stepping up SC includes Manila gov’t, 3 agencies in suit vs condo What Went Before: Malampaya Fund scam videos First international marathon held in Quezon City Good mix of cineastes turns up at Indie Bravo! festival in Fully Booked Sharapova and Mladenovic have fun in Manila International tennis stars discuss rules and their difficulties on first day games in the IPTL SC launches Justice Zone in QC MANILA, Philippines — The local stock barometer firmed up for the second session in a row to retest the 7,300 level even as most regional markets declined alongside the slump in oil prices. The Philippine Stock Exchange index gained 37.35 points or 0.51 percent to close at 7,331.73. The property counter, which rose by 1.1 percent, led the day’s gains, making up for the slump in the mining/oil counter (-1.91 percent). The holding firm and services counters also contributed gains while the financial and industrial sub indices closed in negative territory. Value turnover for the day amounted to P7.05 billion. There were nearly twice as many decliners (118) as there were advancers (62) while 41 stocks were unchanged. ALI (+2.65 percent) led the property counter. It was reported that the property firm had expressed interest in challenging SM Prime’s reclamation project with the city of Parañaque. Gokongwei-led stocks Read More …