Oct 232014
 
Antonio Tiu paid P11M downpayment for Batangas property

Vice President Jejomar Binay hits back at his accusers during a televised press conference at the PICC in Pasay City on Thursday, September 18. Binay denied receiving kickbacks from the construction of the Makati City Hall Building II and from other projects in the city during his term as mayor. (MNS photo) MANILA (Mabuhay) – Chinese-Filipino businessman Antonio Tiu told a Senate hearing on Wednesday that he paid an P11-million downpayment to buy the controversial property in Batangas province, which is being linked to Vice President Jejomar Binay. Responding to queries of Senate Majority Leader Alan Cayetano during the hearing of the Senate blue ribbon subcommittee, Tiu said he paid P11 million as downpayment for a 150-hectare property in Batangas, which costs P446 million. Former Makati City Vice Mayor Ernesto Mercado earlier told the subcommittee that the property was 350 hectares with an estimated amount of P1.2 billion. He claimed that the property belonged to the Vice President. “The total downpayment made so far is P11 million,” Tiu said, responding to Cayetano’s question. “For P446-million property, P11 million pa lang binabayaran n’yo? Nasa TV kayo araw araw, (at sinasabing) akin na ‘yan,” Cayetano asked. (For a P446-million property, you have only paid P11 million? You are on TV every day claiming that that property is already yours.) “Nasa pangalan na po kasi (It’s already in my name). Meron na pong usufruct rights,” said the businessman, referring to his earlier statement that he had already bought the usufruct or right to Read More …

Oct 222014
 
DOH preparations vs Ebola impress Senate

By Jocelyn R. Uy |Philippine Daily Inquirer 5:43 am | Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 Senator Teofisto Guingona III. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO MANILA, Philippines–After scrutinizing the Department of Health (DOH) and other government agencies on the measures being enforced to prevent the entry of the deadly Ebola virus into the country, the Senate on Wednesday said efforts to achieve such goal were impressive and that it was doing everything “humanly possible” to prepare in dealing with the disease. At the end of the two-hour hearing, Sen. Teofisto Guingona III, chair of the committee on health, emphasized that the public also has a key role to play in efforts to boost the country’s defenses against the virus and to ensure the real problem will not be aggravated by fear and hysteria. “This is not just the role of the DOH or the government. We also need the cooperation of all Filipinos, especially the workers who will be coming home from West Africa as well as the media,” said Guingona. World Health Organization (WHO) country representative Julie Hall said fear was traveling faster than the virus and 90 percent of the economic and social impact of the Ebola outbreak that is ravaging countries in West Africa can be rooted from fear. “The media plays a big role in helping control it. The more information out there, the easier it is to control that fear. Once fear is [controlled] we can deal with the realities of the disease,” Hall stressed at the hearing. Guingona Read More …

Oct 222014
 
SB Corp. loans ‘open to startups’

WITH the increasing presence of tech startups in Cebu, an official of a government-owned financial institution said startups, like other small and medium enterprises (SMEs) involved in traditional businesses, can avail themselves of financing from P200,000 to P5 million from the Small Business Corp., the financing arm of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI). SB Corp. Visayas Group head Francisco Buenavides said startups who have been “successfully operating” for two years can avail themselves of loans under the agency’s retail lending program. “Under our policy, we are not closed to (tech) startup businesses. Siguro lang, it would take an extra evaluation, extra process in evaluating the account,” Buenavides said. He said granting loans to this sector is new for them; hence the longer process than traditional businesses. He said bulk of borrowers in SB Corp. is in trading and general merchandise. Enterprises that are in the services sector like contractors also avail themselves of the agency’s retail lending program. Those who cannot get loans from SB Corp. are businesses purely involved in the trading of imported goods, real estate developers and those involved in vice-generating activities. SB Corp’s loan releases in 2013 was at P3.3 billion. By the end of 2013, SB Corp.’s total loan releases to micro and SMEs (mSMEs) already reached P40 billion, starting from 2001. Buenavides said those who would like to avail themselves of loans in SB Corp. should submit registration papers and financial documents. More detailed guidelines can be found in their office in Read More …

Oct 222014
 
Jeffrey Laude’s mom willing to forgive slay suspect

SAN ANTONIO, Philippines (June 30, 2014) U.S. Marines assigned to1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, conduct a joint amphibious landing exercise with Philippine marines during Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Philippines 2014. In its 20th year, CARAT is an annual, bilateral exercise series with the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps and the armed forces of nine partner nations. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Jerry Jimenez/Released) MANILA (Mabuhay) – The mother of slain transgender woman Jeffrey “Jennifer” Laude said she is willing to forgive the US serviceman accused of killing her child, but vowed to continue her family’s fight for justice. Julita Laude said she may forgive US Marine Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton, but only if he will confess to what he did and is rightfully punished for it. “Tao rin naman ako, ‘di ako Diyos. Patatawarin ko siya, pero iba ang sitwasyon ng pagpapatawad. May hustisya tayo, doon ka,” the 51-year-old said. Julita added that despite criticism, they will not give up their fight for justice for her transgender child. “’Yung pinaglalaban namin ngayon, may pupuntahan. Hirap man kami sa una at may takot din kami,” she said. She disclosed that their family feels bad about accusations that they were causing trouble in the area, which supposedly is benefiting from assistance given by US troops like Pemberton who are participating in joint military exercises in the country. “Nakakapamerwisyo lang daw kami… ‘Yung mga Amerikanong pumupunta rito nakakatulong,” Julita said. “Oo, nandoon na ako, pero Read More …

Oct 202014
 
Judy Ann 'flattered' to remake Janice de Belen's role

Judy Ann Satos-Agoncillo said acting is her passion. Philstar.com/Joyce Jimenez  MANILA, Philippines- Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo is flattered to portray the role of Janice de Belen in the remake of the Filipino horror film “T’yanak.” The actress, however, said people shouldn’t compare their interpretation to the character of Julie. “Of course hindi ko naman puwedeng i-remake kung paano nila ginawa ‘yon,” she explained. “Kasi we’re two different people, hindi naman kami pareho ng pagtatrabaho. “But I try my best na magampanan ‘yong role ni Julie. With the story now of T’yanak, it’s a bit modernized compared sa 1990’s na T’yanak.” The film, directed by Peque Gallaga and Lore Reyes, will be showing in all SM cinemas on October 29. Meanwhile, it has been a while since Judy Ann did a teleserye. Her last was in 2013 when she starred in  “Huwag Ka Lang Mawawala” opposite Sam Milby and KC Concepcion. Entertainment ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 She’s presently hosting two ABS-CBN shows, “I Do” and “Bet on Your Baby.” Judy Ann explained that although most of her projects now involve hosting, it doesn’t mean she’s giving up her passion in acting. “Hindi naman puwedeng ilagay ko lang sa backseat ang passion ko, so from time to time I still act,” she relates. “With hosting kasi it’s very relaxed, it’s all about being beautiful lang, makeup ka lang, outfit ka lang. With acting kasi it’s the passion, e. Pero kung hosting ang trabaho, bakit naman ako hihindi sa trabaho?” Read More …

Oct 202014
 
No BSP action on interest rates seen this week

Policymaking Monetary Board to meet on Thursday By Paolo G. Montecillo |Philippine Daily Inquirer 1:30 am | Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 Interest rates will likely be kept steady this week as the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) uses the leeway given by stabilizing consumer prices to further cement the country’s real economic growth prospects. Bank projections gathered by the Inquirer showed that a pause in the BSP’s current tightening cycle was all but assured as the policy-making Monetary Board meets this Thursday. “The BSP is unlikely to go all-out at this juncture, particularly since there are now doubts over fiscal policy outlook going into 2015,” DBS analyst Gundy Cahyadi said in a note to investors on Monday. DBS was one of nine banks that expect the BSP to keep its benchmark overnight borrowing and lending dates steady at 4 and 6 percent, respectively, this Thursday. Monetary officials have been tightening policy settings since April of this year as inflation crept up from last year’s lows. The BSP’s main goal is to keep prices stable to protect consumers’ purchasing power. It does so by adjusting interest rates and controlling the amount of money circulating in the economy. Banks were told earlier this year to set aside more of their clients’ deposits as reserves. Yields on special deposit accounts and the BSP’s own deposit rates were also hiked to encourage banks to park more of their idle cash with the central bank. These moves influence the amount of money banks lend to Read More …

Oct 202014
 
Aquino: No need to junk VFA

‘Priority to give Jennifer justice’ By Christian V. Esguerra |Philippine Daily Inquirer 12:31 am | Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 ‘YESTERDAY’S HEROES’ President Aquino graces the 70th anniversary of the Leyte Gulf Landing at MacArthur Landing Memorial National Park in Candahug, Palo, Leyte province, on Monday. The event’s theme, “Leyte 1944, Leyte 2014: Yesterday’s Heroes, Today’s Inspiration on the Road to Recovery,” recalls the role of American troops led by Gen. Douglas MacArthur during World War II, when his promise, “I shall return,” became some sort of a battle cry. RYAN LIM/MALACAÑANG PHOTO MANILA, Philippines–President Aquino on Monday rejected calls for the abrogation of the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) following the killing of a transgender Filipino allegedly by a US Marine in Olongapo City more than a week ago. Speaking with reporters in Palo town, Leyte province, the President said the government’s priority was to ensure that the victim, Jeffrey “Jennifer” Laude, would get justice. “Why do we need to abrogate the VFA? I mean, name me any place that doesn’t have crime. And the sin of one person should be reflective of the entire country? I don’t think so,” he said. “What’s important is [that since] a crime has been committed, get all the evidence that will prove the guilt of the person behind this, and achieve justice,” Aquino said. The President said Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin and US Ambassador Philip Goldberg were now “working to resolve this issue” of the United States having custody Read More …

Oct 202014
 
Therma South in Davao to operate soon

THE much anticipated generation to augment the power supply in Mindanao next year is 90 percent complete as of September with testing and commissioning expected to commence in the coming months. Therma South Inc. (TSI), in its report to the Department of Energy (DOE) in Mindanao, stated that the 300-MW thermal power plant located in the boundary of Davao City and Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur is on schedule and would most likely meet its targeted time table for its commercial operation during the first half of 2015. TSI President Benjamin A. Cariaso Jr., said that all major components and equipment, as well as the switchyard that will connect the power plants to the transmission assets of the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) are now nearing completion. “We are anticipating for to the completion of this project, and looking forward to be able to make a significant contribution in alleviating the Mindanao power crisis,” Cariaso said. Cariaso said the realization of the project would mean a reliable baseload power plant in the island to supply its fast-growing need for power. Distribution utilities and electric cooperatives in Mindanao have already signed power supply contracts with TSI as of September 2014. The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has already approved 13 of the 22 contracts. Customers with approved contracts can immediately get power from TSI once the power plant is in operation and it will deliver much needed power to the major cities of Davao, Cagayan de Oro, Cotabato, Butuan, Gen. Read More …

Oct 192014
 
NGCP energizes 230-kv line in Mindanao

MANILA, Philippines – The National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) has recently energized the 230-kilovolt line connecting the northern and southern Mindanao. The 213-circuit kilometer-long line from Villanueva, Misamis Oriental to Maramag, Bukidnon is part of the second stage of the new Mindanao transmission Backbone Project, NGCP said. The high voltage transmission project, known locally as the Kirahon-Maramag 230-kv line provides a vital link between northern Mindanao where most power plants exist and southern Mindanao where the load or demand is expected to go up on more economic activities. With an estimated project cost of P988 million, the Kirahon-Maramag line traverses two provinces and eight municipalities. NGCP president and CEO Henry Sy, Jr. said the southern part of Mindanao, particularly the SOCSARGEN area and Davao, is the load center of the island since it is also the center for commerce Thus, he said NGCP needs to ensure that the power generated from the north is transmitted reliably to SOCSARGEN and Davao, especially during the summer season. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 “The Kirahon-Maramag line and the new Mindanao Transmission Backbone will ensure that the supply is fully dispatched to meet the demand in the south,” he said. In all, the Mindanao Backbone Project intends to increase NGCP’s transmission capacity in Mindanao to 230 kv from 138 kv. It is seen to boost the transmission of power supply from the Agus and Pulangi hydro facilities, the main source of power in the island. According to NGCP, Read More …

Oct 192014
 
US Marines sought as witnesses in Laude slay won’t appear in probe

By Tarra Quismundo |Philippine Daily Inquirer 8:33 pm | Sunday, October 19th, 2014 MANILA, Philippines — US Embassy spokesperson Kurt Hoyer said on Sunday that the four other US Marines invited to Tuesday’s preliminary hearing on the Jeffrey “Jennifer” Laude slay would no longer appear at the Olongapo City Prosecutor’s Office as they have already given their statements. “The witnesses have made their testimonies available satisfying the requirements of the VFA and Philippine law. They will not be appearing because they already met with the appropriate Philippine authorities,” Hoyer said yesterday. Asked whether the four witnesses were still in the country, Hoyer replied: “They are not here anymore.” Earlier, the US Embassy said the prime suspect, Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton and his Filipino lawyer would have to decide whether to appear in the preliminary hearing. RELATED STORIES AFP on VFA, Laude issues: Why burn the whole house if only one corner has leak? US to produce Marine sought over murder of transgender Filipino ICYMI: Understanding the VFA after transgender slay Follow Us Other Stories: ‘Disarmament to be most difficult part of Bangsamoro peace process’ Palace insists no ransom paid for release of Germans ‘Jennifer’ Laude to be cremated on Oct. 24 Palace not keen on junking VFA Recent Stories: Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in Read More …