May 272017
 
Duterte administration’s satisfaction rating remains ‘very good’

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte stresses that those who sow terror will receive a harsh response during his speech upon arriving at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 2 on Wednesday (May 24, 2017). A day earlier, President Duterte declared Martial law in Mindanao and had to cut short his official visit to the Russian Federation to oversee the terror crisis which erupted in Marawi City. He also thanked Russia President Vladimir Putin and the Russian government for giving the Philippine delegation a warm welcome in Moscow. (MNS photo) MANILA, May 25 (Mabuhay) — Public satisfaction with President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration remained “very good” in the first quarter of 2017, according to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey released on Wednesday. The SWS said of the 1,200 adults surveyed, 75 percent were satisfied with the national government while 9 percent were dissatisfied and remaining 16 percent were undecided. The results, which were first published on BusinessWorld, gave the Duterte administration a net satisfaction rating of +66, up by 5 points from the fourth quarter 2016 SWS survey result of +61 (73 percent satisfied, 12 percent dissatisfied). The survey was conducted from March 25 to 28 via face-to-face interviews. It had sampling error margins of ±3 points for national percentages, ±4 points for “Balance Luzon” and ±6 points each for Metro Manila, Visayas, and Mindanao. The Duterte administration received a “very good” rating in only one subject out of 15 performance issues which comprise a Governance Report Card. Last year, Read More …

May 272017
 
New York-bound Megan Young ready to pursue international career

Megan Young (MNS photo) She is optimistic about having an international career. And Megan Young isn’t afraid to move out of the country in pursuit of it. The former beauty queen said her work takes priority over everything else, even marriage. “Kung ang nasa puso mo ay kasal, gawin mo,” she told the late-night talk show, adding: “Pero kung ang puso mo ay career, push for it kasi minsan lang nandiyan iyan while the love of your life will always be there for you no matter what. “Kahit late na kayong magpakasal, it doesn’t matter. What matters is the relationship you have.” Young is currently in a relationship with actor Mikael Daez, her boyfriend for more than 7 years. She said that they have talked about settling down, but there hasn’t been any concrete plans yet. Young will be travelling to New York soon, as she aims to start an acting career abroad. Last year, she signed a five-year contract with US-based Innovative Artists Agency. “It’s another chapter in my life, if ever,” she said. Young was crowned Miss World in 2013. Prior to that, she was an actress under Star Magic. (MNS)

May 272017
 
New York-bound Megan Young ready to pursue international career

Megan Young (MNS photo) She is optimistic about having an international career. And Megan Young isn’t afraid to move out of the country in pursuit of it. The former beauty queen said her work takes priority over everything else, even marriage. “Kung ang nasa puso mo ay kasal, gawin mo,” she told the late-night talk show, adding: “Pero kung ang puso mo ay career, push for it kasi minsan lang nandiyan iyan while the love of your life will always be there for you no matter what. “Kahit late na kayong magpakasal, it doesn’t matter. What matters is the relationship you have.” Young is currently in a relationship with actor Mikael Daez, her boyfriend for more than 7 years. She said that they have talked about settling down, but there hasn’t been any concrete plans yet. Young will be travelling to New York soon, as she aims to start an acting career abroad. Last year, she signed a five-year contract with US-based Innovative Artists Agency. “It’s another chapter in my life, if ever,” she said. Young was crowned Miss World in 2013. Prior to that, she was an actress under Star Magic. (MNS)

May 272017
 
KZ releases sophomore album 4 years after her debut

KZ Tandingan (MNS photo) KZ Tandingan on Tuesday launched her second album “Soul Supremacy” under Star Music. Tandingan noted that it has been four years since she recorded her debut album. “Kung ano ‘yung nakita niyo sa akin sa audition noon sa ‘X Factor’ mas makikita niyo dito. Nagra-rap ako and singing ballads. Sa first album ang pinarinig ko sa inyo ay ballad side ko, ‘yung roots ko sa Pinoy soul. Sa album na ito mas nagra-rap na ako, very technical pa din ‘yung music, pero mas light na. Hindi na kasing lungkot noong una kong album,” Tandingan said. “Mas hands-on ako sa album na ito. Super naging honest ako with my opinions (sa pagbuo) nito. Mas ako ang album na ito,” she added. For the new album, Tandingan composed a song (“Halik Na Lang”) and also wrote the lyrics for another (“Intro Lude”). Other songs included in the album are “Labo,” “Nag-Iisa Na Naman,” “Dapithapon,” “Imposible,” “Afraid,” “With You,” “Siya’y Darating,” “Sayang,” and “Sa Aking Mga Kamay.” The additional tracks are “Sa ‘Yo,” “Mahal Ko O Mahal Ako” and “Ikaw At Ako Pa Rin.” Tandingan’s sophomore CD is available in all digital stores worldwide but the physical album will be available soon at record bars nationwide. Aside from a local release, Tandingan’s “Soul Supremacy” will also be launched in Singapore via The Academy of Rock Singapore. “To be able to be given a chance to release an album dito sa Pilipinas ay napakalaking blessing na ‘yon dahil di lahat Read More …

May 272017
 
KZ releases sophomore album 4 years after her debut

KZ Tandingan (MNS photo) KZ Tandingan on Tuesday launched her second album “Soul Supremacy” under Star Music. Tandingan noted that it has been four years since she recorded her debut album. “Kung ano ‘yung nakita niyo sa akin sa audition noon sa ‘X Factor’ mas makikita niyo dito. Nagra-rap ako and singing ballads. Sa first album ang pinarinig ko sa inyo ay ballad side ko, ‘yung roots ko sa Pinoy soul. Sa album na ito mas nagra-rap na ako, very technical pa din ‘yung music, pero mas light na. Hindi na kasing lungkot noong una kong album,” Tandingan said. “Mas hands-on ako sa album na ito. Super naging honest ako with my opinions (sa pagbuo) nito. Mas ako ang album na ito,” she added. For the new album, Tandingan composed a song (“Halik Na Lang”) and also wrote the lyrics for another (“Intro Lude”). Other songs included in the album are “Labo,” “Nag-Iisa Na Naman,” “Dapithapon,” “Imposible,” “Afraid,” “With You,” “Siya’y Darating,” “Sayang,” and “Sa Aking Mga Kamay.” The additional tracks are “Sa ‘Yo,” “Mahal Ko O Mahal Ako” and “Ikaw At Ako Pa Rin.” Tandingan’s sophomore CD is available in all digital stores worldwide but the physical album will be available soon at record bars nationwide. Aside from a local release, Tandingan’s “Soul Supremacy” will also be launched in Singapore via The Academy of Rock Singapore. “To be able to be given a chance to release an album dito sa Pilipinas ay napakalaking blessing na ‘yon dahil di lahat Read More …

May 272017
 
Joshua Garcia on Julia Barretto: Wala pang ‘kami’

Joshua Garcia (MNS photo) Joshua Garcia reiterated that his onscreen partner, actress Julia Barretto, is not yet his real-life girlfriend. Garcia, however, admitted that they are much closer to each other now. “Mas open na talaga kami ngayon sa isa’t isa. Nagkakasabihan na talaga ng problema. Ibang iba kaysa dati. Pero wala pang ‘kami’ kasi siyempre kailangan ko munang paghirapan ‘yun. Kailangan ko munang ligawan si Julia,” he said. Nonetheless, Garcia said he considers Barretto his “queen” because that’s how he sees it appropriate to treat his leading lady. Garcia and Barretto first worked together in the 2016 Metro Manila Film Festival top-grosser “Vince and Kath and James.” Since then, the two have become really close, with many of their supporters speculating that they have already taken their relationship to the next level. After “Vince and Kath and James,” Garcia and Barretto will star again in an upcoming movie to be directed by Antoinette Jadaone. “Malapit na kaming mag-start, siguro next week, pero mauuna magsimula si Julia sa akin,” Garcia reported. “Actually kami lang dalawa pa ‘yung na-cast sa movie pero siyempre may mga magulang kami doon, may mga friends kami. Hindi pa puwede i-reveal,” he added. Aside from the movie, Garcia also has a new television series where he will work with Janella Salvador and Elmo Magalona. (MNS)

May 272017
 
Joshua Garcia on Julia Barretto: Wala pang ‘kami’

Joshua Garcia (MNS photo) Joshua Garcia reiterated that his onscreen partner, actress Julia Barretto, is not yet his real-life girlfriend. Garcia, however, admitted that they are much closer to each other now. “Mas open na talaga kami ngayon sa isa’t isa. Nagkakasabihan na talaga ng problema. Ibang iba kaysa dati. Pero wala pang ‘kami’ kasi siyempre kailangan ko munang paghirapan ‘yun. Kailangan ko munang ligawan si Julia,” he said. Nonetheless, Garcia said he considers Barretto his “queen” because that’s how he sees it appropriate to treat his leading lady. Garcia and Barretto first worked together in the 2016 Metro Manila Film Festival top-grosser “Vince and Kath and James.” Since then, the two have become really close, with many of their supporters speculating that they have already taken their relationship to the next level. After “Vince and Kath and James,” Garcia and Barretto will star again in an upcoming movie to be directed by Antoinette Jadaone. “Malapit na kaming mag-start, siguro next week, pero mauuna magsimula si Julia sa akin,” Garcia reported. “Actually kami lang dalawa pa ‘yung na-cast sa movie pero siyempre may mga magulang kami doon, may mga friends kami. Hindi pa puwede i-reveal,” he added. Aside from the movie, Garcia also has a new television series where he will work with Janella Salvador and Elmo Magalona. (MNS)

May 272017
 
Kiko Pangilinan vows to oppose nationwide martial law declaration

Pangilinan in 2015(Wikipedia) MANILA, May 25 (Mabuhay) — Senator Francis Pangilinan said Thursday there is no basis for President Rodrigo Duterte to raise the possibility of placing the entire Philippines under martial in order to defeat terrorist groups. “While there may be isolated terrorist acts in these areas, there exists no Visayas-wide nor a Luzon-wide invasion or rebellion to merit the declaration of martial law as allowed under our Constitution,” Pangilinan said. “Absent any nationwide rebellion or invasion, we will vigorously oppose a nationwide martial law declaration,” he added. Pangilinan said a nationwide martial law declaration would only bring more suffering to the people and would not address poverty and joblessness. At a news conference upon his arrival from Russia on Wednesday, Duterte pointed to the projected arrival of ISIS in the country and the open defiance of lawless armed groups in Marawi City led by Maute group as the “compelling reason” for his declaration of martial law in Mindanao. The President said he might also expand the coverage of martial law to cover the whole country “if ISIS has already taken foothold in Luzon and terrorism is really not far behind.” “While we have given our critical and guarded support for the martial law declaration in order to defeat the Maute/Hapilon group in Marawi, we do not believe that martial law should be declared in the Visayas or Luzon,” said Pangilinan, president of the former ruling Liberal Party.

May 272017
 
Kiko Pangilinan vows to oppose nationwide martial law declaration

Pangilinan in 2015(Wikipedia) MANILA, May 25 (Mabuhay) — Senator Francis Pangilinan said Thursday there is no basis for President Rodrigo Duterte to raise the possibility of placing the entire Philippines under martial in order to defeat terrorist groups. “While there may be isolated terrorist acts in these areas, there exists no Visayas-wide nor a Luzon-wide invasion or rebellion to merit the declaration of martial law as allowed under our Constitution,” Pangilinan said. “Absent any nationwide rebellion or invasion, we will vigorously oppose a nationwide martial law declaration,” he added. Pangilinan said a nationwide martial law declaration would only bring more suffering to the people and would not address poverty and joblessness. At a news conference upon his arrival from Russia on Wednesday, Duterte pointed to the projected arrival of ISIS in the country and the open defiance of lawless armed groups in Marawi City led by Maute group as the “compelling reason” for his declaration of martial law in Mindanao. The President said he might also expand the coverage of martial law to cover the whole country “if ISIS has already taken foothold in Luzon and terrorism is really not far behind.” “While we have given our critical and guarded support for the martial law declaration in order to defeat the Maute/Hapilon group in Marawi, we do not believe that martial law should be declared in the Visayas or Luzon,” said Pangilinan, president of the former ruling Liberal Party.

May 272017
 
De Lima says colleagues in Senate ‘feigned disbelief’ over Lascañas’ testimony

Senator Leila de Lima, chair of the Committee on Justice and Human Rights, leads the inquiry on the extrajudicial killings, Monday morning.(MNS photo) MANILA, May 25 (Mabuhay) — Senator Leila de Lima on Wednesday said that her colleagues in the Senate have “feigned disbelief” over the testimony of retired Davao City cop Arturo Lascañas. This came after the Senate committee on public order and dangerous drugs chaired by Senator Panfilo Lacson released Committee Report No. 97 on May 17, two months after Lascañas made a complete turnaround from an earlier testimony, saying he was “forced” to lie about the Davao killings then. “The testimonies of both Matobato and Lascañas are considered weak and did not pass the scrutiny of the respective committees they were presented. The lack of credibility of both witnesses results in the lack of evidentiary value of their testimonies,” the report said referring to another confessed hitman, Edgar Matobato, who earlier testified before the Senate justice committee. “Aside from the extrajudicial confession, no other piece of evidence was presented to prove the alleged conspiracy. Therefore, their confession has no probative value,” it added. De Lima, for her part, said that it was “unfortunate” that the Senate committee has considered Lascañas’ testimony as not credible, “inspite of the fact that it corroborates the previous allegations of Edgar Matobato.” “Some of my colleagues previously scoffed at Matobato and his story for allegedly being incredible and wanting in corroboration. Now that another conscience-stricken DDS (Davao Death Squad) insider, in the Read More …