The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Saturday announced it had suspended the deployment of newly hired overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to Kenya where crisis alert level 2 had been declared due to the “deteriorating security situation.”
“Under alert level 2 (restriction phase), Filipinos are advised to restrict their movements and avoid unnecessary travel [to] crowded places,” the DFA said in a statement.
By raising the alert level, the DFA would allow only returning OFWs with current employment contracts to go to Kenya.
Last month, violence erupted in Kenya after a group of Somali extremists attacked a town, assaulted police and set establishments on fire.
News reports said that since the attack in mid-June, the death toll had reached 100.
Meanwhile, due to the outbreak of violence as a result of the conflict between Israel and Hamas, the DFA has likewise raised alert level 2 in the Gaza Strip.
Philippine authorities advised the estimated 109 Filipinos in Gaza to restrict nonessential movements and prepare for possible evacuation.
Alert level 1 (precautionary phase) was hoisted in the West Bank, a Palestinian territory, and southern and central Israel.
About 113 Filipinos reside in the West Bank, while 36,400 are in Israel.
Short URL: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/?p=107852
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer’s day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer’s Reader’s Advocate. Or write The Readers’ Advocate: