MANILA (Mabuhay) – Rough and cold weather has been hindering the search for the 52 people, including 10 Filipinos, who went missing after a Korean vessel sank off Russia, Philippine Ambassador to South Korea Raul S. Hernandez said Wednesday.
Hernandez said despite the challenge, authorities are doing their best “to do what needs to be done during the search and rescue operations.”
“Search and rescue operations is ongoing, and we have yet to hear the authorities here in Seoul, and also from our embassy in Moscow,” he said, adding the families of those missing have already been contacted by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
There were 13 Filipinos aboard the ill-fated vessel, but three have already been rescued.
Hernandez said the three, whom he refused to identify, are in stable condition, and will be brought either to South Korea or the Philippines.
“So far, wala pa kaming naririnig na developments sa pagbabalik nila sa Korea or repatriation [to the Philippines,” he said.
Aside from the 13 Filipinos, also onboard the ill-fated vessel were 11 Koreans, 35 Indonesians, and a Russian fisheries inspector.
Agence France-Presse reported Wednesday noon that six more bodies, all wearing lifejackets, have been found by rescue vessels, but there was no word yet on their nationalities as of posting time. (MNS)