MANILA, Philippines—The National Bureau of Investigation together with the Infanta Municipal Police in Quezon Province took into custody persons believed to have disposed of the body of a Japanese national and his girlfriend that have been missing for almost two months.
Yun Okada, 54, and girlfriend Honeylyn Cirunay have been missing since last week of June.
Taken into custody by the NBI are Eduardo Manayon, 57; Luisito Avellaneda, 41 and Vedasto Tena, 51.
The three executed an affidavit on their participation in disposing the body of the victims.
Manayon, in his affidavit, said they were asked by their so-called master to dispose of some trash.
He said they have no idea that the “trash” were two dead people.
Initially on June 30, they buried the body in a shallow grave, which was originally dug for treasure hunting.
However, when they knew that the police were investigating the disappearance of two people, they got nervous and decided to exhume the cadavers and dump them at sea.
Five cement sacks were filled up with sand and tied to the victims to make sure that the bodies will sink, Manayon said.
The three will become the government’s witnesses.
Suspects to the death of the two have been identified by the NBI’s Death Investigation Unit as Don Raleigh Reyes, 20 and Ashley, Okada’s adoptive daughter.
Short URL: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/?p=109415
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer’s day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer’s Reader’s Advocate. Or write The Readers’ Advocate: