The brother of suspected pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles may still be in the country as there is no sign he tried to flee via the country’s international airports, immigration official said.
Bureau of Immigration Ninoy Aquino International Airport intelligence division chief Wilson Soluren said they had not monitored any attempt by Reynald Lim to leave via the airports, state-run Philippines News Agency reported.
“We believe Mr. Lim is still in the country and hopefully sumuko na rin siya (he will surrender) just like what her sister did,” he added.
He said that if Lim is seen at the airports, the BI will arrest him and turn him over to the police or the National Bureau of Investigation.
Earlier this month, the Makati City regional trial court issued an arrest warrant against Napoles and Lim for serious illegal detention.
Napoles surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III in Malacañang last Wednesday and was initially brought to Philippine National Police headquarters in Camp Crame.
She was then brought to the Makati City Jail, even as the Makati court approved her transfer to Fort Sto. Domingo in Laguna province.
Napoles allegedly set up ghost non-government organizations that received funds from lawmakers’ Priority Development Assistance Fund. The scam triggered outrage among citizens who demanded that the pork barrel system be scrapped.
Meanwhile, Soluren said the BI’s dedicated personnel continue to monitor the country’s international airports 24/7.
He said posters bearing information of Lim remain in conspicuous places in international airports. — ELR, GMA News