Sabah police commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib disclosed this, according to a report by Malaysia’s Bernama news agency posted on Malaysia’s The Star Online.
The letter dated July 3 had warned of an attack by Kiram followers in Sabah this August, supposedly in retaliation of the deadly clashes in Sabah earlier this year.
“Please don’t spread such rumors to scare the public,” Hamza said.
He added Sabah residents should remain calm and stop speculating, and instead cooperate with the security forces to prevent such incidents.
Earlier this year, Kiram’s followers engaged Malaysian forces in a standoff that lasted three weeks. The standoff ended in deadly clashes March 1 and 2.
In turn, Malaysian forces mounted offensive operations to flush out Kiram’s followers from Lahad Datu.
Earlier this month, a letter circulated supposedly signed by a “Militant Commando” who claimed to be acting on behalf of Kiram’s family.
But the police did not take the rumors lightly – Hamza said they took steps to tighten security.
Such steps included mobilizing 100 strike force personnel who can respond quickly to any contingency.
On the other hand, he urged the community to keep alert for any suspicious activity, and to inform security forces accordingly. — LBG, GMA News