MANILA, Philippines – The Social Security System (SSS) has disclosed the terms of its new 10-percent across-the-board pension increase for work-related claims under the Employees’ Compensation (EC) program and the doubled EC funeral grant. Both increases will be implemented retroactively beginning September this year. Agnes San Jose, SSS vice president for Benefits Administration, said the pension hike covers about 17,200 active EC pensioners under SSS as of August 31 for permanent partial disability, total disability and survivorship. SSS claimants of EC funeral grants for deaths dated Sept. 1, 2013 onwards are entitled to the higher P20,000 benefit, San Jose said. President Aquino approved the EC benefit upgrades under Executive Order 167 issued last May 26. The EC program, which provides additional benefits for employees with work-connected sicknesses, injuries and death, is administered by SSS for the private sector and by the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) for the public sector. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 “Claimants covered by the date of effectivity whose EC funeral grants of P10,000 were already settled by SSS will each receive an additional P10,000 in burial benefits, given the retroactive implementation of the increase,” San Jose said. “Pensioners will get higher EC pensions, as well as the additional benefits resulting from the retroactive date of effectivity, in September 2014 upon completion of our system changes,” she added. The new increases stemmed from SSS’ proposal to hike EC pensions and EC funeral grants for SSS members and beneficiaries, which was submitted to Read More …

Volunteers in the newly formed “Peace Brigades” participate in a parade near the Imam Ali shrine in the southern holy Shiite city of Najaf, Iraq, Thursday, June 19, 2014, after called for by the radical Shiite cleric Muqtatda al-Sadr to form brigades to protect Shiite holy shrines against possible attacks by Sunni militants. AP FILE PHOTO MANILA, Philippines – The third Filipino to be repatriated from Iraq is set to arrive in the Philippines Saturday following the Department of Foreign Affairs’ (DFA) implementation of mandatory repatriation in the strife-torn country. “A Female OFW will be repatriated from Iraq and is due to arrive in Manila Saturday, June 28, via Etihad flight EY424 at 3:20pm,” DFA spokesman Charles Jose said in a text advisory to reporters Friday. “She is the third Filipino who has availed of the mandatory repatriation program,” Jose added. Iraq is faced with a growing insurgency by an armed group that calls itself ISIL (Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant) that has captured and controlled various towns around the capital city of Baghdad. DFA has raised crisis alert level 4 last June 19 citing the rapidly deteriorating security situation. Fierce gun fights have been reported between government forces and the rebel groups as they battle for control of territory and several vital structures such as oil refineries. US has previously ordered the deployment of 275 soldiers to Baghdad in order to protect the US embassy there from the rebel group. Jose said that the majority of the 900 Filipinos in Iraq are Read More …
Philippine President Benigno Aquino vowed Friday to deliver self-rule to minority Muslims by January 2015, in line with a peace treaty signed with its largest rebel group. “We’re hoping that all the steps will be finished (so) that they can take position by January of 2015,” he told reporters. The pledge followed Aquino’s surprise meeting in Japan on Tuesday with Murad Ebrahim, the country’s top Muslim rebel, to address growing concerns over delays in implementing the peace deal signed in March. The pact made Murad’s Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the government partners in a plan to pass a law creating the autonomous region by mid-2016, when Aquino is required by the constitution to stand down. Muslim rebels have been battling for independence or autonomy in the southern islands of the mainly Catholic Philippines since the 1970s, with the conflict claiming tens of thousands of lives. A commission composed of rebel and government nominees drafted a proposed “basic law” for the autonomous region, and it was submitted to Aquino in April as part of a timeframe to have Congress pass it by June. However, Aquino said Friday: “There’s a need to further refine the language so that it really states a meeting of the minds of both parties.” Aquino said he and Murad reviewed the “broad strokes on how to come up with the basic law that will ensure swift passage in Congress,” during a 10-minute meeting on the sidelines of a Hiroshima peace conference. He said their representatives Read More …

People walk by an electronic stock board of a securities firm in Tokyo on June 19, 2014. Asian markets climbed Thursday, June 26, boosted by bargain hunting and a positive lead from Wall Street that came despite a worse-than-expected first-quarter contraction in the US economy. AP PHOTO/KOJI SASAHARA HONG KONG–Asian markets climbed Thursday, boosted by bargain hunting and a positive lead from Wall Street that came despite a worse-than-expected first-quarter contraction in the US economy. Tokyo rose 0.27 percent, or 41.88 points, to 15,308.49, Sydney jumped 1.15 percent, or 62.29 points, to 5464.3 and Seoul added 0.67 percent, or 13.28 points, at 1,995.05. Shanghai ended 0.65 percent, or 13.18 points, higher at 2,038.68 and Hong Kong rallied 1.45 percent, or 331.13 points, to 23,197.83. With little to drive business, investors picked up cheap stocks after Wednesday’s sell-off, with sentiment buoyed by a batch of healthy data this week, including Chinese manufacturing and US homes sales and consumer confidence. In the United States, the Commerce Department said the world’s No. 1 economy shrank a steep 2.9 percent in the first three months of 2014, sharply worse than the previous estimate of 1.0 percent. The figure is the worst since the height of the global financial crisis five years ago. But it was widely brushed off by economists, who described it as a blip caused by the severe winter at the start of the year which hammered, among other things, jobs growth and retail sales. Most expect a strong rebound over the Read More …

By Doris C. DumlaoPhilippine Daily Inquirer 6:10 pm | Thursday, June 26th, 2014 SCREENGRAB from www.alphaland.com.ph MANILA, Philippines — The estranged partner of Alphaland Corp. in the Alphaland Bay City (ABC) project has questioned the inclusion of the former’s stake in this venture as part of a settlement deal between the property development group led by businessman Roberto V. Ongpin and British fund Ashmore. In a statement on Thursday, the Wenceslao group said Alphaland could not transfer its shares in the joint venture to Ashmore unless it has been allowed to exercise or waive its right of first refusal. The Wenceslao group said it has formally asked Alphaland Development Inc. (ADI) to “honor its contractual obligations.” The Wenceslaos insisted on its right of first refusal under the shareholders agreement governing the joint venture between Wenceslao and ADI to develop the marina project located in Aseana City, a 32 -hectare development sandwiched between PAGCOR Entertainment City and Mall of Asia. The group has also claimed it has a “tag-along” right, which allows it to sell its holdings in the joint-venture company ABC on the same terms Alphaland is transferring its shares to Ashmore. “We need to look at the terms first between Alphaland and Ashmore before we can decide whether to exercise or waive our right of first refusal, or invoke the tag along,” the Wenceslao statement added. The Wenceslaos claimed that the joint venture was supposed to have 32 hectares of property, out of which Alphaland had reportedly contributed 10 Read More …
The Philippines and other countries should not “over-read” the new Chinese map including disputed territories off the South China Sea, a Chinese official said. During a media briefing in Beijing on Wednesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said the new map was created and published for public service. “China’s publishing houses in some regions published various kinds of Chinese maps with the purpose of serving the public, and there is no need to over-read it,” the Chinese official said. Hua added that the Chinese government’s position on the South China Sea has always been “consistent, clear and free of any change.” China earlier unveiled a new official map featuring 10 dashes to demarcate almost the entire South China Sea as Chinese territory. Older versions of the Chinese map featured nine dashes to signify the rising superpower’s claim over the South China Sea. In the new map, the tenth dash was placed near Taiwan, apparently to mark it as a Chinese province. The Philippines has rejected the new Chinese map, saying it is a violation of international law. Territorial dispute For the past years, China and the Philippines have been engaged in a territorial dispute over resource-rich parts of the South China Sea. The Philippines refest to parts of the South China Sea as West Philippine Sea. The Philippines claims that the West Philippine Sea is part of its exclusive economic zone under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). China, meanwhile, is asserting its historical Read More …
A WEB-based application that promotes awareness, tracks reforestation sites, and helps sustain local communities through eco-tourism bested 41 other entries at the first-ever Hack the Climate: Manila held from June 6 to 8. The 56-hour hackathon, or coding marathon, was the longest hackathon ever mounted globally. It was organized by two Princeton University students, Jacob Scheer and Michael Lachanski, with a grant from Davis Projects for Peace through the Pace Center for Civic Engagement. It was supported by Smart Communications, Inc. (Smart), through the Smart Developer Network, and the De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde. Team Instigators won the grand prize for its app, Tanaw, a web-based application which has geo-locator features and heightens environmental awareness by tracking reforestation sites. At the same time, it hopes to bolster economic activity in local communities via tourism by promoting various destinations in the country.The team is composed of young developers Dominic Tuazon, Mic Gutierrez and Louis Michael Concepcion. Runner-up was Team Superuser with Agila, a Cloud-based cross-platform solution that helps track the user’s energy usage and carbon footprint and how much one is contributing to climate change. The app links up communities that have the same advocacies for the environment. Comprising the team are developers Ivan Dominic Baguio, Joniel Ibasco and Kix Panganiban. “Many of the applications developed during the hackathon showed promise for commercial deployment. The output also showed the relatively high level of awareness of the young developers on climate change, and how they have creatively integrated this into the Read More …
Exciting fare will tickle every foodie’s taste buds with meals on wheels at The Food Truck Barnyard Carnival at the Grove Country Fair. MANILA, Philippines -The County Fair at The Grove by Rockwell is back. Organic eats and new dining concepts make their way to The Grove by Rockwell from 5 p.m. to 12 midnight. Holly’s Milk, Cupcake Lab, KKK Coffee, Rizal Dairy, Madeleine, and more are sure to satisfy appetites for good food and fashionable finds. Exciting fare will also tickle every foodie’s taste buds with meals on wheels as The Food Truck Barnyard Carnival stirs up excitement once again with the likes of Chef Broosy, Hungry Rover, Truck Bun, Ser Chef, Mexikombi, Mio Gelati and more. Visit The County Fair this weeked from 5 p.m. to 12 midnight on Friday to Sunday, at The Grove by Rockwell along C5 cor. Ortigas Ave.
MANILA, Philippines—In Singapore, more employers are hiring private detectives to trail their maids. Such is the case of 27-year-old administrative assistant Shoba Devi, who got suspicious when her Filipina maid of a few months started chatting on the phone late at night. “Devi, who is single and lives with her father who is in his 60s, said: “I didn’t know if she had a boyfriend and I was worried for our safety if she brought her boyfriend home,” She said in a report by The Straits Times published on June 25. Last February, Devi hired a private investigator to check out on her maid during her days off. It turns out that the maid- who is in her 20s and married- had a Bangladeshi boyfriend. On her days off, they would eat out, shop and later check in a budget hotel. “I kind of expected her to have a boyfriend but I was shocked that she checked into a hotel with her boyfriend. What would happen if she got pregnant? So I sent her home,” Devi said. Devi spent S$2,500 or (US$2,002) for three days of monitoring her maid and she thinks it’s all worth it. The report said that private investigators charge about $1,000 (US$800) and S$4,000 (US$3,203) to track maids. The same report said that six investigators they interviewed all got regular assignments every month to track maids, and the demands double during June and December school holidays when families go on holiday and leave the maids at Read More …
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Finance has welcomed a suggestion floated by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to set a minimum price on cigarettes to create a fairer marketplace and curb smoking amid the widespread availability of discounted tobacco products. Finance Undersecretary Jeremias N. Paul Jr. said the idea of setting a standard minimum price for all cigarettes is something that the agency would look at as the government pursues its anti-smoking campaign. Paul said the proposal, which would require legislative action, could be an effective policy tool that can support the beneficial health impacts of the sin tax law, which raised taxes on tobacco and alcohol products beginning January 2013. “We’re okay with it. In fact, the industry is open to it. But its still too early to discuss the minimum potential revenue from this [measure] because we’ll have to wait for the review to be completed. There are technical details that we need to look at,” Paul said. By introducing a flat rate minimum price for all tobacco products, consumers will not get to buy at a lower price from the amount set by the state. This will cause the quantity demanded to decline, especially among consumers with lower income. Ensuring high prices of tobacco products are proven ways to discourage the use of tobacco and coerce smokers to kick the habit. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 One of the objectives of the sin tax law is to make tobacco and alcohol Read More …