More high value inmates could follow the 20 drug convicts that were transferred to an undisclosed facility after the latter were found to be living too comfortably and amid reports that they were continuing their drug transactions inside the Maximum Security Compound of the New Bilibid Prison, GMA News’ “24 Oras” reported on Monday. “Kung may mga high risk and high value inmates na hindi pa nakasama ngayon baka isusunod namin. Hindi kasi magagawa yan hanggat physically nandito sila kasi proktetado sila nga mga gang kaya inaalis muna namin sila temporarily,” Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said. All luxury items found in the special holding areas or “kubol” in NBP were confiscated, including a flat TV, home theater, LCD projector, jacuzzi, sauna facility, sound system, air-conditioner system, router, internet connection, cellphones, soaps and lotions, expensive shoes, sunglasses and watches, cash, guns, and even sex toys. The NBP has until Saturday to demolish all four “kubol.” De Lima said NBP personnel who colluded with inmates will be held liable. “Ayaw ko na muna magsabi ngayon kung ano ang balak ko… because certainly talaga namang sobra ang naging kapabayaan,” she said. NBP superintendent Roberto Rabo is not new at the NBP but he was still shocked that there were luxurious items found inside the prison. He was then six months in his post as the head of minimum security compound when reports came out that former Batangas governor Antonio Leviste freely go in and out of the NBP. “Mukhang sobra, kasi bawal po ‘yan. Kunwari ang dalaw pag meron silang Read More …
The Ford GT pictured with its illustrious predecessors. ©Ford Motor Company Reports are growing that 2015 could see the resurrection of an automotive legend and Ford’s return to the supercar market. After an absence of nearly 10 years, Ford is planning a new GT. And, according to Road and Track magazine, it could make its debut as early as next month at the Detroit Auto Show. The last GT, which ceased production in 2006, was a modern interpretation of the iconic GT40, with modern Ferrari-beating levels of performance to boot. When it was launched, demand outstripped supply but by the time Ford caught up – cars had been changing hands on the second-hand market for $100,000s above the list price – US vehicle regulations changed and the economy stumbled; meaning that the car only stayed in production for two years and Ford cancelled plans to extend its supercar offering with Daytona and Cobra-inspired models that had passed the concept car stage. The car that inspired the GT, the Ford GT40 was built in the 1960s to challenge Ferrari’s dominance at Le Mans; and in doing so wrote itself into the history books. In 1966 the car came first, second and third in the 24-hour race and also went on to win the race in 1967, 68 and 69 too. In 2016 it will be 50 years since Ford managed this incredible coup and the new GT is expected to mark the anniversary, alongside a new track-focused version of the car that Read More …
The murder case of transgender woman Jeffrey “Jennifer” Laude is a case test on how the Philippine justice system would respond to crimes against the members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community. Thus, said various LGBT groups on Monday after the Olongapo City Prosecutors Office filed a murder charge against US Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton. “This case is a litmus test for our judicial process, whether it can ensure fair, transparent, and independent investigation and trial not just for Jennifer’s killing, but also for other instances of violence and discrimination experienced by Filipino LGBTs,” LGBT rights groups said in a statement. The statement was signed by representatives of UP Babaylan, CURLS Cebu, Society of Transsexual Women of the Philippines (STRAP), Gayon Albay, TLF Share Inc., Babaylanes Inc., and AKBAYAN LGBT Collective. The groups Gender and Development Advocates (GANDA) Filipinas, Outrage Magazine, Task Force Pride, Rainbow Rights Philippines, University of the Philippines Diliman Student Council also signed the statement. While members of the LGBT welcome the murder case, they said it should not only be a case test for the Philippine-US military agreement or the Visiting Forces Agreement. “Justice in this particular case cannot simply be limited to putting the perpetrator behind bars, or to an overhaul of Philippine-US military agreement,” it read. On October 11, Jennifer, 26, was found dead inside a motel bathroom after succumbing to asphyxia due to drowning. According to witnesses, Pemberton was the last person she was seen with. The groups said Read More …
One of the backpacks featured in “Carrier of Tradition,” from the collection of ARMAND CATING MANILA, Philippines – BenCab Museum presents ancient, vintage and contemporary backpacks in “Carrier of Tradition: Backpacks of the Northern Philippines,” which is on view until Feb. 6 at BenCab Museum, Km. 6 Asin Rd., Tuba, Metro Baguio. “Carrier of Tradition” features more than three dozens rare and atypical specimens from the collection of Armand Voltaire B. Cating. In the show, the Cordillera hand-woven backpack or pasiking is highlighted and deconstructed, unveiling weave and nuance, baring the life of the weaver and the wearer. For inquiries, call (074) 442-7165, email bencabartfoundation@gmail.com. or visit www.bencabmuseum.org. * * * An artwork by Ricarte Puruganan Ricarte Puruganan at the Paseo de Paoay Lifestyle Feature ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: The Ilocos Norte government through Gov. Imee Marcos, in cooperation with Dr. Joven Cuanang of Pinto Art Museum, present “Ricarte Puruganan: The Filipino as Modernist,” which opens on Dec. 27 at Paseo de Paoay in Paoay, Ilocos Norte. The show features seminal pieces of the artist’s unique style that combines indigenous and folk art elements, and modernist flatness and painting methods. The show runs until Feb. 27, 2015. Ricarte Puruganan is one of the Thirteen Moderns, a group of trailblazing Filipino artists who broke away from academic and conservative styles of painting in the 1930s. For details, call Ian at SMS 0947-9926218 or Pinto Art Museum at 697-1015. * * * Oscar Villamiel at Light and Space Read More …
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Agriculture is mulling the use of more regular radio programs in the dissemination of information on rural development projects. Following the success of CHARM2-On-Air, the official radio program of the Second Cordillera Highland Agricultural Resource Management (CHARM), the department now wants to increase the use of radio programs to inform, educate and update the beneficiaries of its ongoing and upcoming rural development projects. Through the use of radio programs, the department would also be able to update project beneficiaries and other listeners on the activities, strategies, approaches, scope and parameters of DA projects. “It can be a good way to solicit public understanding. It may be true that we are already in the com- puter age, but remote provincial areas do not have access to wifi. Radio requires only a small battery and a transistor so even at sea or in the fields, our farmers and fisherfolk will still get information on our programs,” said Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala. CHARM2-On-Air is aired on local radio stations in four provinces in the Cordillera Administrative Region such Abra, Benguet, Kalinga and Mountain Province. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 Part of the radio program is CHARM2 School-On-Air which aims to help project beneficiaries come up with informed decisions by providing them with relevant information. Alcala said this sharpens the beneficiaries’ analytical perspectives as they undertake decisions that lead to improved farm management, better yield for the farmers, improved nutrition for the consumers and Read More …
The chair of the committee deliberating on the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is considering scrapping some of the provisions delegating the duties of constitutional bodies to the porposed political entity because of the constitutional issues raised against them. In particular, Cagayan de Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez believes the provisions in the Bangsamoro bill mandating the creation of the Bangsamoro Civil Service Office, audit body and human rights commission should be removed because they might diminish the inherent power of the existing constitutional bodies. “That’s my position. I don’t know how the other members will decide… but as a lawyer, I see there’s a valid reason to question these provisions after hearing the side of COA (Commission on Audit), CSC (Civil Service Commission), and the Ombudsman,” he said in an interview over dzBB radio Sunday. During deliberations on House Bill 4994, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales expressed apprehension about the provisions on the creation of certain agencies in the Bangsamoro, saying these might diminish the power of the constitutional bodies of the national government. Among the provisions opposed by Morales, a retired Supreme Court associate justice, was Section 2 (8) Article 5 of the BBL which states that “the Bangsamoro Government shall have primary disciplinary authority over its own officials and employees”. “We believe that this diminishes the Ombudsman’s constitutional power to investigate any act or omission of any public official, employee, office or agency as it divests the Ombudsman’s powers to investigate elective and appointive officials of the Bangsmoro government,” Read More …
The Senate is seeking to approve a bill that would impose stiff penalties on coin hoarders in the country. Sen. Sergio Osmeña III, chairman of the Senate committee on banks, financial institutions and currencies, pointed out that the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas has uncovered the presence of syndicates that hoard coins for use as raw materials for various products that are in demand in several industries. All Philippine coins are made of various alloys of copper, brass, nickel, aluminum or steel and with the rising values of these metals, Osmeña noted that this has encouraged syndicates to hoard and export coins. The BSP has reported a shortage in coins since 2004 and replacing these for local circulation would entail a significant cost on the economy. Osmeña clarified though that the proposed measure would cover only individuals or groups engaged in the large-scale hoarding and exportation of coins, which syndicates smelt and convert for use as raw materials for mobile phones, computers or other industrial applications. It would not cover “piggy bank” savings and businesses using coins to operate, like vending machines and “piso” nets. Osmeña, who is also the author of Senate Bill No. 2452, or the proposed Anti-Hoarding of Philippine Legal Tender Coins Act, said “people who save their coins and place them in piggy banks will not be jailed because the volume is so small.” “The measure targets large-scale hoarders who sell the coins abroad to be melted down because the intrinsic value of the metal is more Read More …
Then and now, fashion shows are mounted for good causes, be they civic, religious, charitable and educational. One such fashion show was Encore held in 1957 at the Fiesta Pavilion of The Manila Hotel. A project of socialites Conching Sunico, Chito Madrigal and Minna Gaberman, Encore raised money for the anti-TB fund. True to its billing, Encore was held for two successive nights, much talked-about and praised for many days after. Participating couturiers included such noted names as Ramon Valera, Ben Farrales, Pitoy Moreno, Ernie Arandia, Madonna, Slims, Mary Esteban, Mercel, Syyap, Fely, Carlos, Carolina, Gutierrez, Millie and Rose Vale. Actually, Encore was more than a fashion show (for a cause), it was also a musical extravaganza, song-and-dance numbers, mostly Broadway, were performed within the program. The climax was a ballet sequence from My Fair Lady. The fashion collection was composed of formal gowns worn by prominent women in high society and the most regal of all movie queens, Gloria Romero. — RKC Entertainment ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
(Updated 2:30 p.m.) A suspect in the ambush that wounded Iligan Rep. Vincent Belmonte Jr. last Thursday was arrested Saturday morning in Laguindingan town in Misamis Oriental. Police identified the suspect as Dominador Tumala, 52, of Sergio Osmeña in Zamboanga del Norte. Police received tips regarding Tumala, who did not have a consistent backstory and carried a firearm upon arrest, GMA News TV’s Balitanghali reported Saturday. He was identified as one of the suspects depicted in the artist sketches revealed by the National Bureau of Investigation on GMA’s Saksi Friday night. Balitanghali reported that witnesses confirmed Tumala’s involvement in the crime. Killed in the ambush were at least three people. Three others, including Belmonte, were wounded. Earlier, the Philippine National Police Northern Mindanao formed a special task group to probe the incident. Belmonte earlier said he believes politics could be the motive behind the ambush. —Joel Locsin and Rie Takumi/KG, GMA News
For more than 4,500 players who trooped to the Alabang Country Club Fields in Muntinlupa to join the much-awaited 19th Alaska Football Cup, the overwhelming stint was all worth it. A total of 300 teams from different parts of the country battled not just to win the championship, but to fulfill their dreams of playing in one of the biggest football leagues in the Philippines. Alaska Football Cup remains to be one of the most prestigious sports events, and the longest-running youth football competition in the country. From only 20 teams in 1995, the annual league recently gathered teams from Metro Manila, Davao, Davao Sur, Palawan, Legaspi, Laguna, Batangas, Bukidnon, Zambales, Pampanga, Tarlac, Ilocos, Bicol, Romblon, COMVAL, Quezon, Cavite, Albay, Pangasinan, Bacolod, Iloilo, and Mindoro. “The football cup is all about team effort. The event showcases the best players of the country, especially the children—the future of Philippine football,” says Coach Tomas Lozano, tournament director and a former player of Real Madrid. He is also the founder-director of the Makati Football School. Alaska Milk’s nationwide football summit is not only for the country’s best players but also for those who are passionate and determined to play. As the players roamed the massive football grounds — which was divided into 30 football fields to allow the teams play simultaneously, parents can be seen on their toes, watching intently. An exciting sports event Coach Mario Nañola is excited about the event as it will expose his U-16 players — the Bristol (Bristol Read More …