For 2015, the Department of Foreign Affairs is renewing its commitment to push the rule of law in the territorial row in the West Philippine Sea, while promoting Philippine interests on other issues like extremism and climate change. DFA Secretary Albert del Rosario said this in his Christmas message, where he added the agency will also continue to “constructively address” other international issues. “And true to DFA’s reputation as the ‘Department that never sleeps,’ we continue to constructively address many issues and concerns, challenges and opportunities: from extremism, climate change and pandemics, to our rule of law advocacy in the West Philippine Sea and strengthening our bilateral relations with allies, neighbors and partners,” he said in his message, which was posted on the Philippine embassy in London’s website early Wednesday. “In all these developments, what is constant and consistent is the DFA’s strong resolve to be smarter, leaner and more innovative in navigating the turbulent waters of 21st century international diplomacy,” del Rosario added. The Philippines has been pushing for a peaceful solution to a territorial dispute in the West Philippine Sea, including with Asian neighbor China. Both countries have been involved in disputes in the West Philippine Sea in past years. 2015: An even better year Meanwhile, del Rosario said 2015 promises to be an even better year as the Philippine economy continues to grow and is considered one of the most dynamic growth engines in the region. He also said the Philippines is likely to hit the so-called Read More …
CEBU CITY, Philippines—Gotianun-led Filinvest Land Inc. (FLI) unveiled on Tuesday a revised master plan for the P25-billion mixed-use estate “City de Mare,” its largest real estate development in this city located on reclaimed land at the city’s east coast called South Road Properties (SRP). In a briefing on Tuesday, FLI chief executive officer Josephine Gotianun-Yap said capital spending for the 40-hectare mixed-use estate had been jacked up from an earlier budget of P15 billion to keep up with “urban trends” as well as to incorporate more office space given the stronger-than-expected demand from the business process outsourcing industry. The estate was previously intended to be mainly for residential development, targeted to bring to Cebu’s property market 14,000 to 16,000 new residential units. About 70 percent of the estate is still earmarked for residential development but around 10 percent will now be devoted to office development. The remaining 20 percent will be for retail development, opening up about 55,000 square meters of retail space out of which 36,000 sqm will be the net leasable area that could add to FLI’s portfolio of assets with recurring income. Just across the “City de Mare” estate is a separate 10-hectare property where FLI is developing the “Il Corso” seaside leisure and retail strip. Gotianun-Yap is bullish on this “City de Mare” project, a joint venture project with the Cebu City government. If more land will be offered by the city in this SRP area, she said her group would be interested. “I think that Read More …
THE PHILIPPINE economy is expected to weather shocks from Russia’s currency collapse and Japan’s recession because of the diversified nature of the country’s foreign exchange earnings, the economic planning secretary said on Tuesday.
Isuzu mu-X MANILA, Philippines – After months of anticipation, Isuzu Philippines Corporation finally revealed its new flagship SUV: the mu-X. Replacing the Alterra, the mu-X comes in three variants all packed with new technological and design features combined with Isuzu’s penchant for delivering efficient performance. Chevrolet Captiva Chevrolet Philippines launches an assault in the compact crossover market by revamping and re-introducing the Captiva for 2014. Headlined by revisions to its drivetrain as well as new features, Chevrolet bids to enlarge its share in this growing segment. Powered by a new 2.0-liter turbo diesel 4-cylinder engine, the Captiva generates a healthy 161 horsepower and a whopping 400 Nm of torque. More than just delivering thrust, the engine is now mated to a new second-generation 6-speed automatic with Driver Shift Control and ECO drive mode for better fuel economy. BMW X4 Taking center stage at BMW’s display at PIMS is the company’s first-ever mid-sized sport activity coupe: the X4. Drawing from the concept of the larger X6, the X4 combines the functionality of a sport activity vehicle with the sporting elegance of a classic coupe. The X4 is available in two diesel variants. The base trim, X4 xDrive 20d features a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine with 190 horsepower and 400 Nm of torque. Meanwhile, the X4 xDrive 30d 3.0-liter 6-cylinder engine pushes out 258 horsepower and 560 Nm of torque. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 Volkswagen Philippines Turns Over Beetle to Raffle Winner Automobile Central Enterprise Inc. (ACEI), the Read More …
MANILA, Philippines – Marriott Hotel Manila presents a life-size gingerbread train to delight kids and the young at heart this Christmas season. Parked at the lobby until Dec. 26, the edible grandeur is 25 feet in length, made out of 150 kilos of gingerbread dough and 60 kilos of royal icing, big enough to display 15 varieties of decadent Christmas treats and five choices of deluxe holiday hampers. Available items inside the ginger bread train are Chocolate St. Nicholas (P300), Big Belly Chocolate Santa (P310), Chocolate Santa in Sleigh (P340), Chocolate Angel (P320), Gingerbread Cookie Man (P120), Gingerbread Sweet Nutcracker (P300), Marriott Gingerbread House (P600), White Chocolate Disc with Dried Fruits and Nuts (P380), Milk Chocolate Disc with Dried Fruits and Nuts (P380), Chocolate Coated Pretzel Sticks (P500), German Coconut Macaroons (P500), Almond Sliver Christmas Tree (P480), Traditional Dark Fruit Cake (P550), Lemon and Pistachio Christmas Cake (P650), Dresden Stollen Bread with Marzipan (P530) and Holiday Cookie Box (P610). Meanwhile, choose from a medley of gourmet dishes at Marriott Café for the Festive Sunday Brunch for only P2,500. Come Dec. 25, choose either Christmas Eve Dinner Buffet, Christmas Day Brunch or Christmas Day Dinner Buffet for P2,900. For a traditional Filipino celebration have a Noche Buena Buffet at P1,450. Cru Steakhouse, Marriott Manila’s fine-dining restaurant, offers a festive four-course menu priced at P3,200. For details, call 988-9999 or visit manilamarriott.com.

popular Ex-Pacquiao sparring partner Khan also wants a piece of Mayweather Pulse Asia survey: Binay falling, Poe surging Roxas to PNP chief: You’re suspended Malversation case part of plot to sideline Estrada clan, allies – JV Ejercito Metro Pacific renews offer to run railway Joma Sison denies NPA out to harm Pope Francis during PH visit Palace denies pressuring Sandigan justices on pork scam cases Douthit leads SEAG hopefuls videos Filipino street kids greet Pope Francis on his birthday The naked truth behind the Oblation Run UP Lantern Parade 2014 Simbang Gabi at the Gesu (Day 1) Indie Bravo! Night of renegades, game changers and amazing grace President Benigno Aquino. AP FILE PHOTO MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Tuesday condemned the attack in the military-run school in Pakistan, calling it an “affront to all civilized peoples.” “Today, we join the world in condemning the outrage perpetrated on innocent schoolchildren, and school officials and personnel in Peshawar, Pakistan,” President Benigno Aquino III said in a statement sent to media. Aquino said the Taliban’s killing of at least 126 people, mostly children, is “an act of terror and savagery (that) deserves nothing less than our condemnation.” He said the attack has “dishonored Islam.” “The senseless deaths of so many young lives, and the barbarism of this attack is an affront to all civilized peoples,” he added. “In this moment of grief and sadness for the people of Pakistan, the Filipino people are one with them in mourning. Today, every person of goodwill Read More …
Campos-led Del Monte Pacific Ltd. (DMPL) posted a modest profit in the quarter ending October, reversing the loss in the previous quarter but still weighed down by the expenses incurred for its recent big acquisition in the United States. In August to October, the second quarter in its fiscal year, DMPL posted a group net income of $200,000, a reversal of the $21.9-million net loss in the first quarter. The group earlier aligned its financial year with that of newly acquired Del Monte Foods Inc. (DMFI) in the US which is May to April. For the six months that ended in October, the group incurred a net loss of $21.7 million due mainly to non-recurring acquisition-related expenses in the first quarter. The group earlier embarked on a leveraged buyout of the consumer food business of DMFI. In the second quarter, the group posted $548 million in sales, of which the DMFI contributed $435.1 million. “We are committed to significantly deleverage DMPL’s balance sheet by reducing debt in the next quarter through an international perpetual preference share offering followed by a rights issue which are expected to raise $515 million,” DMPL chief executive director and managing director Joselito Campos Jr. said in a statement. In the second quarter, cash flow as measured by earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (Ebitda) hit $59.4 million while net income before acquisition-related and other non-recurring expenses reached $20.7 million. The Ebitda level for the quarter was more than double that of the first quarter Read More …
BICOL CMO BEST Naga City, Camarines Sur — The 9th Infantry Division’s Civil Military Operations Battalion (CMO) based in Camp Francisco Canuto, Barangay Sagurong, Pili, this province has been cited the best among the rest by the Philippine Army. The CMO, headed by Lieutenant Colonel Joselito Pastrana, was cited for its work in environmental protection, disaster risk reduction, and emergency response. (Ruel Saldico) GRANNY MURDERED San Carlos City, Pangasinan — A 78-year-old grandmother living alone in her house in Barangay Agdao, here, was found dead yesterday morning. Police, said Gloria Dolorico was found dead by her son, Roger, lying on her bed with a bruise in her head and a slit in her neck. Robbery has been discounted. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)
Out-of-the-box baon: Get creative with your kid’s baon. When assembling the bento box, use GladWare food protection containers to help seal in the goodness. These come in different sizes to best match your kid’s baon of the day. MANILA, Philippines – Protecting your child’s baon doesn’t just begin the moment your kid steps out the door to go to school. Before a sandwich or rice meal makes its way into your child’s lunch box, it first exists in the form of essential ingredients that need to be stored and handled properly so that the prepared baon stays fresh longer and uncontaminated right through recess and lunch time. According to the article “Food Safety Tips for Healthy Eating” by Dr. Lourdes Jacobo, different types of bacteria can multiply rapidly in most foods such that millions of them can fit on a pinhead, thriving in temperatures between 5° and 60°C. However, these risks shouldn’t scare parents from preparing school meals in their own kitchens. Making school snacks at home can be a way to ensure that the food the children are eating will adequately furnish 1/3 of their daily food requirements. The 7th National Nutrition Survey by FNRI discloses that a mere 1/5 of school-aged children met the recommended intake for energy (21.5%) and vitamin A (19.6%), while only half met the recommended protein intake (54.7%) for the day. Taking extra precaution is the key to reducing exposure to food poisoning, and a good place to start is when one buys safe Read More …
Chew good: CalChews is fortified with vitamin D3 for proper calcium absorption, bone growth, and bone remodeling. MANILA, Philippines – Of all the conditions associated with calcium deficiency, most people have heard of osteoporosis. It’s a debilitating ailment that causes bones to become weak and fragile. Even simple everyday routines can lead to fractures in persons suffering from this progressive bone condition. But did you know that there’s another common disease resulting from calcium deficiency? “Hypocalcemia can be caused by hormonal imbalance or malabsorption of calcium in the intestines,” notes Dr. Francis H. Fernandez, an orthopedic surgeon at Makati Medical Center, with a fellowship in Sports Medicine from Atos Klinik, Heidelberg, Germany. “Ninety-nine percent of calcium is stored in the bones and teeth and it is primarily used in the formation and healing of the bones. Since most of the body’s calcium is stored in the bones, the body needs to break down the bone in order to utilize the calcium for other functions. Conversely, in order to rebuild bone and form new ones, the body also needs calcium to be adequate,” Dr. Fernandez explains. “Calcium deficiency, therefore, could increase the risk of developing osteoporosis because there wouldn’t be enough calcium to form new bones,” he adds. Taking the recommended daily dose of calcium can spell a big difference for people at risk of bone diseases. In particular, women undergoing menopause are susceptible to bone breakage due to their skeletal frame and declining estrogen levels. Those who are Read More …