MANILA, Philippines – Malaysian banks are keen on investing in the Philippines given the country’s positive economic backdrop, the Malaysian Embassy Trade Office (MATRADE) said. MATRADE Manila trade commissioner Nyaee Ayup announced yesterday a group of Malaysian investment bankers were in the country earlier this month to look at opportunities here. MIDF Amanah Investment Bank Economic Research Department chief economist Maslynnawati Ahmad, who led the delegation, said Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB) and Amanah Raya, which have stakes in Malaysian companies and banks, are interested in opportunities in the Philippines. “Nonetheless, we are not privy to such information, and I think the fund managers are not allowed to disclose any that is still in the study stage,” she said. Ahmad said most Malaysian companies that are looking into the Philippines are likely to focus on products or services catered for domestic consumers such as retail, food industries, health, roads, transport, water sanitation and sewerage infrastructure as well as housing. “They will also tap the massive untapped potential of Mindanao, mainly agriculture supply chain,” she added. Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 Ayup said there are also investors who want to develop oil and gas resources in the country. There is interest among Malaysian firms to invest here as the Philippines has made significant economic gains and is expected to sustain growth in the coming years. “The Philippine economic condition is likely to moderate, but to stay strong near its potential growth of about six percent. It may remain Read More …

By Matikas Santos |INQUIRER.net 5:47 pm | Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 SCREENGRAB from news.xinhuanet.com MANILA, Philippines—A Filipino opinion writer criticized President Benigno Aquino III for bringing up the issue of the maritime dispute between China and the Philippines in his trip to four European countries. “It is lamentable that during the four-nation European tour of Philippine President Benigno Aquino III from Sept. 13 to 19, en route for the United Sates, he made the issue of the South China Sea as the topmost item on his agenda with the leaders of the host nations,” Alito Malinao said in his commentary published by China’s state-news agency Xinhua on Tuesday. “Of course, the leaders of Spain, France, Germany, Belgium and the European Union, when personally confronted by Aquino, could not but endorse his position that the Philippines has sought international arbitration to the territorial dispute involving China and the Philippines,” he said. Philippines and China are locked in a maritime dispute over the South China Sea which China claims in its entirety through the nine-dash line claim, which includes portions of the Philippines 200 nautical mile exclusive economic zone from Ilocos Norte in northern Luzon to Palawan and the Kalayaan Group of Islands. The Philippines has challenged China’s claim before the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea (Itlos) last January 2013 by filing an arbitration case. China has refused to participate in the proceedings insisting on bilateral talks based on its “indisputable” and “historical” claim to the region believed to Read More …

By Nikko Dizon |Philippine Daily Inquirer 6:11 am | Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 HOME AWAY FROM HOME President Aquino visits the house on Commonwealth Avenue in Newton, Massachusetts, where the Aquino family lived for three years while his father, then opposition leader Sen. Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr., was on exile in the United States. The President returns after 31 years, saying it’s an emotional time for him. EDWIN BACASMAS NEWTON, Massachusetts—He had a pretty neighbor but someone else in a flashy car picked her up one day. And that ended Noynoy Aquino’s plans of asking her out on a date. This was among the fond memories that President Aquino shared with friends who accompanied him to his family’s former home in Newton on Monday morning (late Monday night in Manila). Aquino brought a gift for Ione Malloy, the retired American schoolteacher who had bought the house more than a decade ago. Mah-jongg, informal dinners Dr. Mario Bucal, a good friend of the late Sen. Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino Jr. in Boston, also joined the President in his nostalgic return to the house that saw a lot of mah-jongg games and informal dinners. The President spent some 30 minutes inside the house with his friends, Doctor Bucal and Malloy. It was a private meeting, which members of the media were not allowed to cover. Coverage of the visit was limited to a photo and video opportunity outside the house. Aquino was overheard by Inquirer photographer Edwin Bacasmas sharing his stories with friends Read More …
On the 42nd anniversary of the declaration of Martial Law, party-list lawmakers have urged Congress to extend the deadline – from November 2014 to May next year – for the filing of claims by victims of human rights violations during the Marcos regime. Akbayan party-list Reps. Ibarra Gutierrez and Walden Bello have filed Joint House Resolution No. 16 prolonging the period for the filing of claims to cope with the large number of victims seeking reparation and recognition under Republic Act 10368, or the Human Rights Victims Reparation and Recognition Act of 2013. The law recognizes as conclusively presumed human rights violation victims (HRVVs) claimants of the class suit and direct action plaintiffs of cases filed in Honolulu and other US courts against the late President Ferdinand Marcos, and those recognized by the Bantayog ng mga Bayani. In a statement on Sunday, Gutierrez said Congress’ adoption of the joint resolution will ensure “the struggles of the people who have fought the Marcos dictatorship are given due recognition and the full opportunity to secure their rightful place in our history.” The draft Joint House Resolution 16 seeks to give human rights violation victims, their legal heirs or representatives are given a six-month extension from November 10, 2014 to file an application for compensation with the Human Rights Victims’ Claims Board (HRVCB). The board will be mandated to establish permanent application centers or desks in all regional offices of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) to guarantee accessibility for victims filing their Read More …

Philippine Daily Inquirer 1:25 am | Sunday, September 21st, 2014 ATLANTA, Georgia—The National Society of High School Scholars (NSHSS) recently announced that St. Thomas More Collegiate student Zion Rose Corrales-Nelson from Burnaby, BC, has been selected to become a member of the esteemed organization. The Society recognizes top scholars who have demonstrated outstanding leadership, scholarship and community commitment. The announcement was made by NSHSS founder and chair Claes Nobel, a senior member of the family that established the Nobel Prize. “On behalf of NSHSS, I am honored to recognize the hard work, sacrifice and commitment that Zion has demonstrated to achieve this exceptional level of academic excellence,” said Nobel. “Zion is now a member of a unique community of scholars—a community that represents our very best hope for the future.” “Our vision is to build a dynamic international organization that connects members with meaningful content, resources and opportunities,” stated NSHSS president James W. Lewis. “We aim to help students like Zion build on their academic successes and enhance the skills and desires to have a positive impact on the global community.” Membership in NSHSS entitles qualified students to enjoy a wide variety of benefits, including scholarship opportunities, academic competitions, free events, member-only resources, publications, participation in programs offered by educational partners, personalized recognition items and publicity honors. Formed in 2002, NSHSS recognizes academic excellence at the high-school level and encourages members of the organization to apply their unique talents, vision and potential for the betterment of themselves and the world. Read More …
A lone bettor won nearly P23 million Saturday night in the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office’s Lotto 6/42 draw. The PCSO said the bettor got the combination of 29-24-01-02-08-20 to win the night’s jackpot of P22,946,228. But no one got the Grand Lotto combination of 26-50-42-37-30-33 to win the night’s whopping jackpot of P244,663,008. As in past cases, the PCSO is not likely to name the winner for security reasons. Last Aug. 23, a lone bettor got the Lotto 6/42 jackpot with the combination of 16-28-13-15-09-08, which was the key to the jackpot of P22,760,804. Last May 22, a lone Super Lotto 6/49 bettor won P98,612,308 with the combination of 31-35-04-06-30-03. On April 7, a lone bettor hit the jackpot of the PCSO’s Grand Lotto, getting the combination of 39-21-42-28-05-27 to win P249,841,572. But the biggest lotto prize in recent history was in November 2010, when a lone bettor won some P741.176 million for getting the winning combination 11-16-42-47-31-37. — Joel Locsin/JST, GMA News
The Philippines will attempt to snatch from India the Guinness World Record for Zumba event.
Lava cascaded down the Philippines’ most active volcano on Wednesday as authorities rushed to evacuate thousands ahead of a possible deadly eruption. Mostly women, children and the elderly carrying bags of clothes were hauled out of farming villages near Mayon volcano’s slopes on board army trucks and minibuses. Soldiers went from house to house asking residents to evacuate, after authorities on Monday raised the third highest alert in a five-step scale, meaning a full-scale eruption is possible “within weeks”. Before dawn Wednesday, Mayon’s crater glowed red as molten rocks flowed as far as halfway down its slopes. The volcano’s world-renowned perfect cone appeared to have been deformed, swollen with lava that had risen from the Earth’s core. At least 8,000 of the target 50,000 people had been moved to temporary shelters, with the operation expected to run for three days, regional civil defence director Bernardo Alejandro told AFP. However he said the evacuation operation was sapping precious disaster-relief funds and manpower in Albay province, which is regularly battered by typhoons at this time of year. “The province can sustain them (in evacuation centres) for not more than a month… we cannot exhaust all our disaster funds on Mayon,” Alejandro said. The deadliest and most powerful of the roughly 20 typhoons that batter the Philippines every year happen towards the end of the year, bringing floods, landslides and storm surges to eastern provinces such as Albay that face the Pacific Ocean. State volcanology agency director Renato Solidum said more magma was Read More …

By Christian V. Esguerra |Philippine Daily Inquirer 7:55 pm | Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 BRUSSELS—Lauding the Philippines’ fast-rising economy, European Council President Herman Van Rompuy announced today (Tuesday, Sept. 16) that European assistance would increase from 130 million euros to 325 million euros. Van Rompuy said the aid would focus on “judicial and legal reform, sustainable energy, and job creation,” noting that the Philippines is “an engine of growth in its region and will progressively raise millions of people from poverty.” “In this context I pay tribute to President Aquino’s good governance agenda,” he said in a joint press conference after their meeting at the European Council headquarters here. Van Rompuy cited the importance of fighting corruption, a centerpiece program of the Aquino administration. “The fight against corruption remains a key issue,” he said. “Democracy indeed goes well beyond elections and the rule of law and respect for human rights are in the heart of it.” Aquino said he and Van Rompuy agreed that it was “high time for us to build an even more strategic partnership.” Such partnership would not only involve “aid and trade” but would also allow the Philippines to “lay the foundations of a future teeming of opportunities for our peoples, one where no one is left behind.” Van Rompuy said the European Union was now studying Aquino’s invitation to monitor the plebiscite scheduled next year to ratify a new Bangsamoro law that would govern a new autonomous region in Mindanao. “The European Union supports the Read More …

Nikki Gil (MNS Photo) “I wasn’t raised to celebrate the misfortune of others.” These were Nikki Gil’s words when asked to react to the drunken altercation involving her past boyfriend of five years, TV host Billy Crawford, who posted bail last Monday after being detained overnight. “I was asked about it, which I don’t understand because I’m not involved in any way,” Gil said, referring to Crawford’s arrest last Sunday. “But I wasn’t raised to celebrate the misfortune of others. I guess that’s all I have to say about the issue.” Crawford, 32, admitted he was drunk and had been feeling stressed, which supposedly led to his being aggressive at Taguig Police Station 7 early Sunday. He broke a glass door in the altercation with police officers. He explained that he went to the precinct because he “needed to be in a controlled environment,” where he could not inflict any harm. The “Bright Lights” hitmaker was charged with malicious mischief and disobedience to person in authority over the incident. Crawford has yet to return to the ABS-CBN noontime program “It’s Showtime,” which he co-hosts, following the incident. According to his girlfriend and fellow “It’s Showtime” mainstay, Coleen Garcia, Crawford has nonetheless resumed filming for the comedy movie “Moron 5.2” During her interview, Gil was also asked for her reaction to comments that Crawford was never involved in any controversy during their five-year relationship. “I don’t want to comment on that,” Gil said. “I also want to respect the people that Read More …