Oct 212017
 
DOJ offers witness protection to hazing suspect Trangia

Ralph Trangia emerges from the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 1, under heavy police escort, as he arrives in Manila from Chicago, Tuesday. Trangia was tagged as one of the suspects in the death of University of Santo Tomas (UST) law freshman Horacio Castillo III, during initiation rites of the Aegis Juris Fraternity last September 17. (MNS photo) MANILA, Oct 10 (Mabuhay) — Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II said Tuesday his office is ready to offer witness protection to Ralph Trangia, one of the suspects in the hazing death of University of Santo Tomas law freshman Horacio “Atio” Castillo III last month. Trangia’s return from the United States is a “welcome development” in the department’s investigation on Castillo’s death, Aguirre said. “Hopefully, Mr. Trangia’s return is covered in good intentions to clear his name and to tell the truth,” he said in a statement. “While he may be a suspect as of the moment, depending on what he will tell our investigators, he could be a potential witness. And for this reason, the DOJ (Department of Justice) offers to him and to his family, the protection of our Witness Protection Program (WPP),” he added. Trangia, a member of the Aegis Jvris Fraternity, returned to Manila Tuesday, three weeks since he left for the United States. He went overseas on Sept. 19, two days after Castillo was declared dead at a hospital after suffering massive injuries during fraternity initiation rites. Authorities earlier sought the cancellation of his passport to compel his Read More …

Oct 212017
 
SWS: Net satisfactory rating for VP Robredo, Pimentel up

Senator Loren Legarda (left), Chair of the Senate Committee on Finance, talks with Vice President Maria Leonor “Leni” Gerona Robredo during the Plenary Budget Deliberation of the OVP’s 2018 budget held at the Senate in Pasay City on October 9, 2017. The Senate provided the OVP with an additional PHP20 million for its anti-poverty program in its PHP443 million budget for 2018. (MNS photo) MANILA, Oct 13 (Mabuhay) — The net satisfaction rating for Vice President Leni Robredo is higher in the third quarter 2017 Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey. The net satisfaction rating of Senate President Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III is also higher. Meanwhile, the ratings for House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez and Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno have dropped. In the latest survey that was conducted from Sept. 23 to 27, Robredo gained +41 or “Good” satisfaction rating which is higher than the +36 rating she got in the second quarter SWS survey. There are 1,500 respondents in the latest survey with a margin of error of ±2.5 percent. The survey found 62 percent satisfied and 21 percent dissatisfied with the performance of the Vice-President. Based on the SWS report posted on its website, the 5-point rise in the overall net satisfaction rating of Vice-Pres. Robredo was due to increases of 7 points in Balance Luzon, 7 points in the Visayas, and 3 points in Metro Manila, combined with a steady score in Mindanao. It stayed very good in the Visayas, at +60 in September, up by Read More …

Oct 212017
 
Senate OKs 2018 budget for Office of the President in 2 minutes

Senators Vicente Sotto III and Franklin Drilon talk to Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea during the deliberations on the proposed 2018 budget of the Office of the President. (MNS photo) MANILA, Oct 11 (Mabuhay) –The Senate on Wednesday approved the proposed P6.03-billion budget for the Office of the President (OP) for 2018 in just two minutes. Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea was present during the Senate’s budget interpellations. Senate Minority Franklin Drilon said no questions will be raised on the OP’s budget “out of inter-departamental courtesy.” “Traditionally, in the chamber, we do not raise issues on the budget of the Office of the President out of inter-departamental courtesy; and therefore, we would move to a motion that the budget of the Office of the President be submitted for the consideration of the plenary without any further question,” Drilon said. The motion was approved without any objections.(MNS)

Oct 212017
 

MANILA, Oct 14 (Mabuhay) –President Rodrigo Duterte has threatened to declare a revolutionary government in case destabilization moves by his critics, particularly the Left, continue and start slipping into chaos. “‘Pag ang destablization ninyo patagilid na at medyo magulo na, I will not hesitate to declare a revolutionary government until the end of my term,” he said in a report on state-run PTV  News on Friday. “I will arrest all of you and we can go to a full-scale war against the Reds,” Duterte added. He said he will declare the revolutionary government if he thinks his critics are “about to take over the nation” and install a new government. Duterte said he would not declare martial law because he would need to report to Congress for it. He also said that declaring a revolutionary government would be akin to what late President Corazon Aquino did during her term. “Just like your hero, heroine, President Corazon Aquino declared a martial law. Then… about to then changed her mind a few hours and declared a revolutionary government,” he said. Duterte’s statement was part of a taped interview with broadcaster Erwin Tulfo that aired on Friday night. While Duterte urged both the communists and Liberal Party to band against him, he singled out the Left in his recent rants. “And pagka dumating ‘yang panahon ng revolutionary government, lahat kayo, lahat kayo, especially the left. As of now, itong mga legal fronts nila are part of the conspiracy. They are as equally guilty Read More …

Oct 212017
 

MANILA, Oct 10 (Mabuhay) — University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Civil Law dean Nilo Divina on Tuesday shrugged off his inclusion in the criminal complaint pending before the Department of Justice in connection with the hazing death of Horacio Castillo III. “I am sure it is baseless since I have not breached any law and have always discharged my functions as Dean with utmost diligence,” Divina said. Divina however declined to comment in detail, saying he has yet to read the supplemental complaint filed by Castillo’s parents, Horacio II and Carminia, on Monday. The UST law dean is facing charges for murder, perjury, violation of the Anti-Hazing Law (Republic Act 8049) and obstruction of justice. In their supplemental complaint, the Castillos said Divina admitted during the Senate inquiry on September 25 that he was aware about Castillo’s hazing and injuries in the hands of members of the Aegis Juris Fraternity even before the freshman law student’s parents were informed. The dean also allegedly did not act on the information as regards the hazing and Castillo’s fatal injuries. “It is also worth noting that respondent school administrators [Divina and UST Faculty of Civil Law secretary Arthur Capili] are complicit in the cover-up of the hazing and murder of our son,” the complaint stated. “Respondent Capili categorically stated [during the Senate hearing] that he already knew that a UST student died on Sunday, September 17, 2017, due to hazing. The same statement was made by respondent Divina. However, it should be Read More …

Oct 212017
 
Strike won’t stop jeepney modernization plan: Malacañang

Activists stage a transport strike against the government’s public vehicle modernization program in Quezon City on Monday. The government’s modernization program aims to replace vehicles aged 15 years and above for newer and eco-friendly models.(MNS photo) MANILA, Oct 16 (Mabuhay) – Despite the nationwide transport strike, Malacañang on Monday said it was committed to pursuing the jeepney modernization program. “The Administration remains committed to the Public Utility Vehicle Modernization Program (PUVMP), which is long overdue,” Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a statement. Abella said “there were several attempts in the past to modernize the public transport system but these have been thwarted due to similar transport strikes, which unfortunately resulted in an outdated public transport system.” The Pinagkaisang Samahan ng Tsuper and Opereytor Nationwide or Piston on Monday launched a two-day transport strike nationwide to protest the government’s program phasing out jeepneys at least 15 years old. Piston is protesting the PUV modernization program aimed at phasing out old PUVs, while the government plans to replace the jeepneys with “eco-friendly” PUVs. The strike prompted Malacañang to suspend classes and government work nationwide on Monday. “Government is ready and prepared as it laid out contingency measures to assist commuters hit by the nationwide transport strike,” Abella said. Quoting the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB), Abella said they have deployed 35 city buses to ferry passergers in Metro Manila. “This is in addition to the 4 military trucks, 4 buses, 4 vans and 4 service vehicles provided by the Read More …

Oct 212017
 

MANILA, Oct 16 (Mabuhay) — Government forces rescued at least 20 more hostages of the Maute group in Marawi City. Colonel Romeo Brawner, Joint Task Force Marawi deputy commander, said the hostages were rescued by troops during operations since Saturday. The military earlier said the Maute group still has at least 40 civilian hostages. Government troops failed to meet the October 15 deadline to end the Marawi crisis. Brawner said the remaining Maute group members, which just around 40, are still using their hostages as human shields against the advancing troops. The crisis started with the Maute group’s attack in the city on May 23. The military said more than 800 militants and 162 soldiers and policemen have been killed. The civilian death toll, meanwhile, was still at 47. (MNS)

Oct 212017
 

MANILA, Oct 16 (Mabuhay) – The government can expect more Maute-ISIS fighters to surrender to security forces in Marawi City following the deaths of Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon and Maute group leader Omar Maute early Monday. “Kung totoo talaga yung information, we are expecting (surrenderers) from their ranks. Expect na natin ‘yun at talagang mag-weaken ang positions nila sa main battle area,” Marawi Crisis Management Committee head Zia Alonto Adiong said. Adiong, during the interview, said he has yet to receive confirmation from the military on the killings of Hapilon and Maute. Later in the day, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana confirmed the deaths of Hapilon and Omar Maute. He said the bodies will be subjected to a DNA test. Adiong welcomed the development saying the end of the conflict in Marawi City is in sight since the two terrorist leaders served as the brains and morale boosters of the ISIS-inspired fighters. “Ito po ay nagsisimbulo na patapos na po ang bakbakan dito,” he said. “Hudyat po ito na talagang patapos na po dahil itong dalawang leaders ang kumbaga center of gravity.” “(Sila) po yung nagmu-move, nagpa-plan, and at the same time nagbibigay ng morale sa kanilang fighters. Kung mawala ho talaga sila ay talagang mag-weaken exponentially, substantially ang kanilang strength at pati na rin ang kanilang ipinaglalaban,” Adiong added. Adiong also said the end of the conflict would help affected residents start their recovery. “Imagine for more than four months our evacuees have been living sa mga evacuation centers. Read More …

Oct 212017
 

MANILA, Oct 16 (Mabuhay) — Malacañang on Monday confirmed the death of pro-ISIS Maute group leader Omar Maute and Abu Sayyaf subleader and supposed ISIS emir in Southeast Asia Isnilon Hapilon. “We confirm that government forces killed Omar Maute and Isnilon Hapilon early morning today, Monday, the 16th of October in Marawi City,” presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a statement, which echoed the earlier announcement of Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana. He said that an initial report from Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) ground commanders in Marawi mentioned that both Maute and Hapilon were neutralized while government troops were conducting an operation to retake the remaining stronghold of the terrorists in the city. “Our operating units have already recovered their bodies… Mopping up operations are now underway. Details of the operation will be released by the AFP as soon as permissible,” Abella said. He added that the termination of hostilities would be announced once government troops neutralize or capture the remaining terrorists holed up in Marawi and once they clear all structures of improvised explosive devices and other traps. “Once the fighting stops and the clearing operations end, we will put our efforts and energies on the challenging task of rebuilding and rehabilitating Marawi,” Abella said. (MNS)

Oct 212017
 
Ely Buendia’s new collaboration with Itchyworms is a wonder

Ely Buendia (MNS photo) The new single from Ely Buendia and the Itchyworms, “Lutang” and “Pariwara,” is a must-have not only for fans of the respective artists but also for fans of good music. Both Buendia and Itchyworms have had a knack for melody to go with clever lines, insightful and personal lyrics that stick to one’s heart and mind. When Buendia collaborated with the late Francis Magalona on “In Love and War,” the result was magic. Just like when Magalona infused a rock edge to his rap when he involved his band, Hardware Syndrome. Now, the Itchyworms have been one of the most tuneful bands with a dash of Weezer to come out this new millennium. It was obvious when Itchyworms first came out, Buendia’s old outfit, the Eraserheads – and the Beatles—were a major influence. So when the stars align – like Pearl Jam and Neil Young’s “Mirror Ball” or David Bowie and Queen on “Under Pressure” to name a few of a good many—great stuff happens. “Pariwara” was released in 2016 and I love the song with its Asin-like intro after which its infectious beat with its skiffle-like style that harks back to ‘60s music and harmony. And as simple as its chorus of “ngunit hindi tayo ‘di tayo titiklop” is, it’s beautiful and it’s going to be a classic as a mantra or anthem. And who would have thought that lightning would strike twice with both collaborating once more on “Lutang” despite the more somber mood? Read More …