Jul 082017
 
Exercise prudence on martial law statements, Escudero tells Panelo

Senator Chiz Escudero, .(MNS photo) MANILA, July 6 (Mabuhay) –Senator Francis “Chiz” Escudero said chief presidential legal counsel Salvador Panelo should “exercise more prudence” in his statements over martial law in Mindanao, following the latter’s remark that another proclamation is necessary should Congress deem an extension unnecessary. “If its for the same area and to address the same threat, it is, for all intents and purposes, an extension and not a ‘re-declaration’,” Escudero, also a lawyer, said in a text message to reporters on Wednesday. “I hope the legal advisers of the President will exercise more prudence instead of advising him about ‘trailblazing legal theories’ that may raise more constitutional issues than settling them,” he added. Panelo earlier said Duterte could still implement martial law even without congressional approval by signing another proclamation. “If Congress does not extend the 60th day upon the initiative of the President then there can be no extension. Another proclamation is necessary,” said Panelo. Duterte signed Proclamation No. 216, declaring martial law and suspending the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus in Mindanao, on May 23 while he was in Moscow, Russia a few hours after ISIS-inspired Maute group attacked Marawi City. The 60-day martial law proclamation, the validity of which had been upheld by the Supreme Court, will lapse on July 22. Article VII, Section 18 of the 1987 Constitution states that Congress may revoke or extend the proclamation of martial law “voting jointly, by a vote of at least a majority of Read More …

Jul 082017
 
Abu Sayyaf beheads two Vietnamese hostages in Basilan

A report in the Philippine Daily Inquirer cited a report to officials including Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. indicating Filipinos are among the Southeast Asians being lured to conflict zones in the Middle East. Some Islamic militants are home-grown, just like the Abu Sayyaf (in photo), who have links with al-Qaeda terrorists. (Photo from http://vkb.isvg.org/Wiki/Groups/Abu_Sayyaf_Group_(ASG)) MANILA, July 5 (Mabuhay) — The Abu Sayyaf has beheaded two of its Vietnamese captives in Basilan and holds three more even as military operations continue to locate the bandit group and their hostages. The decapitated bodies of the two, identified as Hoang Thong and Hoang Va Hai, were recovered on Wednesday in Barangay Tumahubong in Sumisip town by a resident, according to Col. Juvymax Uy, commander of Joint Task Force Basilan. “The bodies were found at 5:40 in the morning by a member of the local populace,” Uy said. “The cadavers will be made to undergo forensic exams as coordination with the Vietnamese embassy is also simultaneously done.” The two were among the six Vietnamese crew members of MV Royal 16 that was attacked on November 11 last year off Sibago Island in Basilan. One of the hostages, 28-year-old Hoang Vo, was rescued by the military in Sampinit Complex, also in Sumisip, last month. Those still being held by the Abu Sayyaf were identified as Pham Minh Tuan, Do Trung Hieu and Tran Khac Dung. “[The] three other KVs (kidnap victims) are subject of the intensive ongoing rescue operations conducted by the troops of Read More …

Jul 082017
 
What Luis Manzano thinks of Captain Barbell role

  Luis Manzano (MNS photo) With the recent announcement that Liza Soberano will portray the role of Darna in an upcoming film adaptation, speculations arose anew about a possible “Captain Barbell” movie. Along with such talk came suggestions from netizens on who they think should play the Pinoy superhero. Among the names that have been floated is that of Luis Manzano, but the television host was quick to quash the idea, saying he is not a “big star” to even be considered. He also thinks being the son of Edu Manzano, who portrayed Captain Barbell in the 1986 movie of the same title, doesn’t give him the edge. In 2013, ABS-CBN won the rights to “Captain Barbell” and 12 other titles for characters created by Mars Ravelo. Aside from Manzano, some netizens also think Enrique Gil is a good choice for the role. Gil is the onscreen partner and rumored boyfriend of Soberano. (MNS)

Jul 082017
 
Pacquiao urges WBO action on ‘unfair’ decision over Horn fight

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte is welcomed by Senator Emmanuel Pacquiao upon arriving at the 1002nd Infantry Brigade headquarters in Malungon, Sarangani Province on Wednesday (July 5, 2017). (MNS photo) MANILA, July 5 (Mabuhay) — Senator Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday urged the World Boxing Organization (WBO) to take action on the letter of the Games and Amusements Board (GAB) over the “unfair decision and officiating” on his loss against Jeff Horn. “WBO should take appropriate action on the letter sent by the Games and Amusement Board (GAB) so as not to erode the people’s interest in boxing,” Pacquiao said in a statement. Pacquiao said that while he has accepted the decision, “truth and fairness” should be upheld. “On my part, I had already accepted the decision but as a leader and, at the same time, fighter, I have the moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness in the eyes of the public,”  he said. “I love boxing and I don’t wanna see it dying because of unfair decision and officiating,” Pacquiao added. GAB earlier wrote the WBO asking for a review of the fight between Pacquiao and Horn. Horn won by unanimous decision in the fight dubbed Battle of Brisbane on July 2 but the result had been widely criticized by boxing experts and fight fans. “We would like to echo the stand of many boxing followers on the possible errors of the referee and the judges who officiated the subject fight,” read the GAB’s letter to WBO president Francisco Read More …

Jul 082017
 
Duterte admin earmarks P322B for social services

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte shows a photo of a .45 caliber pistol which he intends to provide to law enforcers during his visit to the headquarters of the 1002nd Infantry Brigade in Malungon, Sarangani Province on July 5, 2017. (MNS photo) MANILA, July 5 (Mabuhay) –The Duterte administration is earmarking P322 billion of the proposed P3.767 trillion national budget in 2018 for social services to cover the marginalized sector. “The total budgetary allocation for our social services Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program, National Health Insurance, health facilities, basic educational facilities program will reach P322 billion in 2018, more than seven times its allocation in 2011,” Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno said in his speech at the Tax Reform Forum in Mandaluyong City on Wednesday. Diokno emphasized that social services extended by the government will install safety nets for the poor and the marginalized as the government embarks on an aggressive tax reform initiative. The first package of the tax reform program, approved by the House of Representatives as House Bill 5636 or Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion on May 31, seeks to lower personal income tax rates and, at the same time, adjust excise taxes and expand the value added tax base as compensating measures. Additional revenues generated from the tax reform will not only fund the administration’s ambitious P8.4 trillion massive infrastructure spending plan, but also sustain the conditional cash transfer program, the full implementation of the K-12 program, and the pursuit to universal PhilHealth coverage, among other social protection Read More …

Jul 082017
 
Bela still in touch with Zanjoe after ‘My Dear Heart’

Bela Padilla (MNS photo) Weeks after “My Dear Heart” ended its run, Bela Padilla admitted that she is still in constant communication with Zanjoe Marudo, who was her leading man in the series. The two grew closer with one another on the set of the ABS-CBN series. There were even rumors that something romantic has blossomed between them. Both Marudo and Padilla quashed all speculations, claiming that their newfound closeness does not necessarily equate to romance. In an interview, Padilla was unable to answer directly if Marudo is now courting her. “I don’t know. Hindi ko kasi alam [kung ligaw na]. Hindi ko kasi siya kilala that way. Hindi ko alam, tignan na lang natin kung anong mangyayari,” she said. But has Marudo already told her about how he feels? Shyly smiling, the actress answered: “Kinakabahan ako. Parang dapat sa kanya manggaling, hindi sa akin. Siya na lang po ang tanungin niyo.” Nonetheless, Padilla said she is now open to enter into a new relationship after her split with producer Neil Arce. “I think so. Hindi kasi siya something na I think of. Hindi ko siya pinaplano. Right now, I’m taking everything one day at a time kasi my first six months of the year was so crazy and hectic so right now, I’m trying to live talaga. Every day, if I want to wake up late, I wake up late. I’m just trying to enjoy,” she said. As to whether she sees Marudo as a boyfriend material, she said: Read More …

Jul 082017
 
Dela Rosa wants to pull out SAF troops out of Bilibid

PNP Chief Dela Rosa (MNS photo) MANILA, July 5 (Mabuhay) –Philippine National Police (PNP) Director General Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa said he wants to pull out members of the Special Action Force (SAF) from their duty at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP). Dela Rosa said this is to avoid putting the blame on SAF troops after reports that there is a resurgence of the illegal drug trade inside the NBP. “Sila mismo rin gusto umalis doon dahil wala silang complete control doon sa mga Bilbid drug lords…Ang kanilang apprehension, baka masisira lang kami dito sir, kung nandito kami tapos magpapatuloy ‘yung drug trade na ‘yan dahil hindi rin namin mako-kontrol,” Dela Rosa said in a press conference on Tuesday. Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II earlier admitted that prison officials have observed “some sort of resurgence” of the narcotics business a “few months ago.” “I have received reports that there were some reactivation and we are doing something about this. We are going to end this some sort of resurgence by some inmates,” Aguirre told reporters. “I talked to the Director General (Bureau of Corrections’ Benjamin delos Santos) last Saturday and we know what we are going to do.” The PNP chief said SAF troops do not control the entire NBP; they only have control over Building 14 and the maximum security compound. Aguirre said the resurgence may have something to do with the “familiarity” of the SAF troopers who have been at the national penitentiary for six months, with the Read More …

Jul 082017
 
Elmo, Janella no longer part of ‘Kung Kailangan Mo Ako’ 

Janella Salvador (MNS photo) It has been months since “Born For You” ended but it looks like fans of Elmo Magalona and Janella Salvador would have to wait a little longer before they see their favorite pair in a television series again. This after the two admitted that they will no longer be part of the upcoming show “Kung Kailangan Mo Ako,” where they were supposed to work with Joshua Garcia. “Since nung last draft nung show, maraming nabago. Ang nangyari nagbago ng cast. Sabi kasi hindi na kami magiging part nun,” Magalona told entertainment site Push. “Or ‘yung roles namin supposedly ibang iba na from when it started. I don’t think it would benefit the show or even kami kung itutuloy pa namin,” Salvador added. Dreamscape unveiled the cast of “Kung Kailangan Mo Ako” last March. Aside from the three, the show is also supposed to star John Estrada, Eula Valdez, Mylene Dizon, Mccoy de Leon, Elisse Joson, Nash Aguas and Alexa Ilacad. While Dreamscape opted not to disclose anything specific about the storyline at the time, veteran filmmaker Manny Palo, the main director of the series, said it is a family drama. “Pero siyempre lahat naman ng teleserye laging may love story ‘yan. At the core of any teleserye is the love story, ‘di ba? Pero siyempre, mas magiging exciting ang drama kapag involved ‘yong drama ng pamilya,” Palo told ABS-CBN News in an exclusive interview. Although Magalona and Salvador will no longer be part of this show, Read More …