As more heavy rains threaten Metro Manila, President Benigno Aquino III met with Cabinet officials on Tuesday afternoon to tackle the status of flood control projects in the country’s capital region.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the President called for the meeting last week to “be apprised of all the flood control projects that is going on” in Metro Manila. The meeting was ongoing as of posting time.
“The master flood control plan is in various stages. Those that are doable are already being done,” Valte said at a press briefing.
She added that Aquino will also tackle contingency measures during floods and the relocation of informal settlers in waterways during his meeting with the Cabinet officials.
Heavy rains have already caused floods and traffic jams in the metro for the past days, prompting the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) to call for earlier dismissal of classes and office work.
Valte said among those present in the meeting with the President were Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino, Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II and Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster and Risk Reduction Management Council.