2:55 pm | Monday, November 4th, 2013
MANILA, Philippines–New Zealand Minister of Foreign Affairs Murray McCully announced Monday that New Zealand is providing $NZ850,000 (approximately P30 million) in humanitarian assistance to the Philippines following the recent disasters that have hit Central Visayas and Mindanao.
“We are deeply sympathetic to the plight of people affected by these crises,” said New Zealand Ambassador Reuben Levermore, in an official statement sent via email to media companies. “We hope that the assistance announced today by Minister McCully will aid in the rapid recovery of the communities affected by the Bohol Earthquake and flooding in Zamboanga.”
New Zealand’s assistance package will contribute $500,000 through UNICEF as one of the key implementing partners of the United Nations appeal following the Bohol earthquake. Another $100,000 has been allocated to draw on New Zealand technical expertise to help the Philippine government further assess the earthquake damage and prepare for reconstruction work.
Ambassador Levermore said that New Zealand’s contribution responds to the international appeal launched by the United Nations after a new assessment revealed that an estimated 370,000 people had been left living in temporary shelters after the 7.2 earthquake struck two weeks ago.
In addition, $250,000 is being provided for urgent water, sanitation, and hygiene facilities for the conflict-displaced population living in Zamboanga City, where recent flooding has placed significant pressure on emergency shelters and created serious health risks.
The New Zealand Aid Programme already supports disaster risk management and preparedness in the Philippines, including the development of early warning systems and hazard risk mapping.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer’s day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer’s Reader’s Advocate. Or write The Readers’ Advocate: